At the End of the Day...Texas

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You're my boy Jay! Would love to sit around and nerd out about football with you sometime! As per usual I agree with your entire analysis.

I too wonder why there is no effective counter or additional check down to account for defensive shifts and 0 blitzes. Effective line motion and counters would have eaten Texas up and basically anyone that had made these adjustments against us. It seems like we still don't have a great quick route/check down system to take advantage of the adjustments we could exploit. As of now I can only scream at the TV with my long time high school football coaching father lol!

Last edited:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Jay, on the 2nd and 35 play. Most of us in our section (myself included) thought that 3rd and 20 would have been better.

Especially in hindsight, but I wonder if they should have declined the penalty?

Nov 11, 2011
That only reminds me of the long 3rd down Iowa converted against us. Talk about key plays/difference makers...

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Jay, on the 2nd and 35 play. Most of us in our section (myself included) thought that 3rd and 20 would have been better.

Especially in hindsight, but I wonder if they should have declined the penalty?
Both are acceptable down and distance. That, the timeouts, the fourth down trick play. Even with that, they still beat Texas. Pretty cool the more I think about it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Both are acceptable down and distance. That, the timeouts, the fourth down trick play. Even with that, they still beat Texas. Pretty cool the more I think about it.

Hear me out on this and keep in mind this is Texas:

Which one is sweeter? A total 45-10ish beatdown, or ISU doing some typical 'ISU' stuff where they do everything BUT open up the game, but Texas is the one to make the critical error late to help set up the walk-off field goal?

Obviously the beatdown is preferred for fun and sanity's sake, but the way Texas got beat, was how we've seemed to have seen ISU go down time and time again, and it's nice how the tables turned. Especially against Texas.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Hear me out on this and keep in mind this is Texas:

Which one is sweeter? A total 45-10ish beatdown, or ISU doing some typical 'ISU' stuff where they do everything BUT open up the game, but Texas is the one to make the critical error late to help set up the walk-off field goal?

Obviously the beatdown is preferred for fun and sanity's sake, but the way Texas got beat, was how we've seemed to have seen ISU go down time and time again, and it's nice how the tables turned. Especially against Texas.
The latter. The infallible teams of CFB have games where they make mistakes in coaching and play but overwhelm with talent gaps. See Georgia v South Carolina. Clemson/North Carolina. The ability to overcome via talent or otherwise is the mark of a sustainable and winning program. This season has shown a vulnerability and an ability to overcome. A necessary step on the road to challenging for a championship.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
In the end, schools like Texas and Nebraska are hurt by the rise in revenue by the "lesser" schools in the conference. Before, we had a system of haves and have nots, with the money that TV has brought into the system, the playing field has leveled to a degree that the smaller school can now compete with the wealthier school.

Before Texas and Nebraska could do whatever they wanted, and just outspend the ISU, KSU of the world, those days are gone. Now its about recruiting, player development and coaching.

Nebraska and Texas will never see the days of competing for national championships, by showing off their weight room, locker rooms and stadium, today, everyone has the same, its just a matter of how old it is.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
In the end, schools like Texas and Nebraska are hurt by the rise in revenue by the "lesser" schools in the conference. Before, we had a system of haves and have nots, with the money that TV has brought into the system, the playing field has leveled to a degree that the smaller school can now compete with the wealthier school.

Before Texas and Nebraska could do whatever they wanted, and just outspend the ISU, KSU of the world, those days are gone. Now its about recruiting, player development and coaching.

Nebraska and Texas will never see the days of competing for national championships, by showing off their weight room, locker rooms and stadium, today, everyone has the same, its just a matter of how old it is.
Nebraska and Texas are different. Nebraska should be lumped in with Minnesota and Army, not Texas.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I think entitlement culture at Texas permeates through more than just their athletics programs. They've never had a difficult time acquiring talent, it has always been about getting enough out of that talent to win football games. As long as they see themselves as the rightful Kings of College Football, they never will be.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Nebraska and Texas are different. Nebraska should be lumped in with Minnesota and Army, not Texas.

Maybe, but the days of Vince Young and Mack Brown winning a national title are getting further away in the rearview mirror every year. Last nine seasons Texas has had at least 4 loses each season. This is with them setting in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country, largest revenue producing athletic program in college sports, and one of the best college cities to live in the nation.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Maybe, but the days of Vince Young and Mack Brown winning a national title are getting further away in the rearview mirror every year. Last nine seasons Texas has had at least 4 loses each season. This is with them setting in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country, largest revenue producing athletic program in college sports, and one of the best college cities to live in the nation.

When was the last time you were in Austin?
It is becoming the post-Apocalyptic world that certainly can happen...