ISU vs Iowa

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Parker has beaten Desanto before. Wouldn't be surprised if he beats Desanto again.

We’ll see. Can he beat him? Yes. He already has (as you mention). Gomez beat him too, then got steamrolled at Nationals.

Desanto takes things about as personally as anyone can take things. He knows Parker has beat him before, and I’ll bet he’s dwelled on it since then.

Just an opinion.

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
I think 141 is a toss up. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

The thing hurting ISU in this dual is Gomez being absent. Otherwise, there would be a possibility (not a big possibility but still there) of a 5/5 split. Iowa would still win going away based off bonus points, but would still make for an awesome dual.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I think 141 is a toss up. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

The thing hurting ISU in this dual is Gomez being absent. Otherwise, there would be a possibility (not a big possibility but still there) of a 5/5 split. Iowa would still win going away based off bonus points, but would still make for an awesome dual.
This. For me, learning this took most of the excitement out of the dual for me. Still some nice matchups, but not a snowballs chance of winning the dual.

Also, big swing from last year is Kemerer back at 74. That is roughly a 10 point swing at 74 from last year.

Last edited:

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Hope the team has a lot of fire wrestling this dual at home. When can we reasonably expect Gomez to wrestle at 133? Watching Small lose in the Bucknell dual soured me on our prospects with him in the lineup. He shouldn't lose to a true freshman at this point in a career. I'm curious what the expected process will be. We need blood round guys from NCAAs wrestling in the lineup.

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
I don't think it is depressing or anything that Iowa is going to win the dual going away. ISU still has BIG opportunities in this dual. Parker vs Desanto, Degan vs Lugo, Carr vs Young, and Colbray vs Wilcke are HUGE for end of the year seedings. So I am not concerned with the overall team score, as that is safe for the Hawkeyes. But individual matches will be great.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We’ll see. Can he beat him? Yes. He already has (as you mention). Gomez beat him too, then got steamrolled at Nationals.

Desanto takes things about as personally as anyone can take things. He knows Parker has beat him before, and I’ll bet he’s dwelled on it since then.

Just an opinion.
If I remember right, I don’t know that gomez got steamrolled. Gomez tried to get fancy in the first and got caught and about stuck. Then desanto just stayed away from him the rest of the match. I could be wrong though.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If I remember right, I don’t know that gomez got steamrolled. Gomez tried to get fancy in the first and got caught and about stuck. Then desanto just stayed away from him the rest of the match. I could be wrong though.

ADS had two 6-point moves in the first, AG came close on a few throws in the second, they both had a TD in the third.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
All I can say is I think DeSanto will be in trouble if he weighs in at 133 and wrestles up to Parker at 141 like he did in the first dual. Giving up that much weight to a guy as good on top as Parker is would be a problem.

Jake Torkelson

Nov 15, 2019
Hope the team has a lot of fire wrestling this dual at home. When can we reasonably expect Gomez to wrestle at 133? Watching Small lose in the Bucknell dual soured me on our prospects with him in the lineup. He shouldn't lose to a true freshman at this point in a career. I'm curious what the expected process will be. We need blood round guys from NCAAs wrestling in the lineup.
I don’t know if you can reasonably expect to see someone come back from a concussion. Two years ago he had a concussion as well. It’s very tough for fans not seeing a stud on the mat, but the most important thing is his health.

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
Just here to drop by and say after seeing the physical growth of Ian Parker and knowing his talent and then of course their old match up history I’m going to say Parker wins this weekend. There’s my one prediction for the week.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Just here to drop by and say after seeing the physical growth of Ian Parker and knowing his talent and then of course their old match up history I’m going to say Parker wins this weekend. There’s my one prediction for the week.
Given his hard nosed mentality and what I understand about his work ethic, he’s one kid I really hope can make the podium some day.

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
Isn't it a combination of weight and concussion? I know the weight issue came about before any concussion talk occurred. Doesn't matter if he is available right now. He just needs to get himself fully back and ready for the season. Get the weight under control and make sure all concussion symptoms are good and behind him.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I'm just hoping Small had a rough one Sunday and that's not the norm for him

Todd is a pretty talented wrestler. I'm sure the nerves of wrestling in Hilton for the first time and also first time with a 1-hour weigh in played a part in his performance on Sunday. I still think he is a top 20 133lber and is a very capable wrestler if Gomez is out for an extended period with his concussion

Help Support Us

Become a patron