Grill

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
Grill moves his feet well on defense. That along with his athleticism and the apparent ability to shoot the three will earn him playing time. I am very glad that he will be playing for us and not against us.

If he had ended up at K-State we would have despised him in just a year or two and wondered when he was going to graduate each time he played us.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I say start him if he can hit a shot. We have 2 guards shooting around %15 from 3 and neither have a history of being great shooters. Teams are just going to pack it in and kill any frontcourt advantage we have. I'd give up some defense early on while he gets up to speed and get a perimeter shooter on the court

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I say start him if he can hit a shot. We have 2 guards shooting around %15 from 3 and neither have a history of being great shooters. Teams are just going to pack it in and kill any frontcourt advantage we have. I'd give up some defense early on while he gets up to speed and get a perimeter shooter on the court

Just not gonna happen Prohm isn't going to reward a Freshman with extended minutes until he shows he can function on D. Give it time.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Just not gonna happen Prohm isn't going to reward a Freshman with extended minutes until he shows he can function on D. Give it time.
I don't see anything in Grill's D that playing time won't cure, and I'd like to see him get it in the noncon. I'm sorry, but everyone hoping a player sitting a year and working on his shot didn't seem to pan out. Still early, but we need guards that are an offensive threat. Prohm may have no choice. I'm not comparing Grill to Wigginton, but his D was awful and started as a freshman. May come from Necessity. I wouldn't mind seeing Jackson or go big and put Zion at the 3 at this point

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don't see anything in Grill's D that playing time won't cure, and I'd like to see him get it in the noncon. I'm sorry, but everyone hoping a player sitting a year and working on his shot didn't seem to pan out. Still early, but we need guards that are an offensive threat. Prohm may have no choice. I'm not comparing Grill to Wigginton, but his D was awful and started as a freshman. May come from Necessity. I wouldn't mind seeing Jackson or go big and put Zion at the 3 at this point
You’re suggesting we start a player because of offense, but then suggest we go big and start Zion at the 3? That would cripple the offense and with potentially no improvement on defense.

He doesn’t need to start, but Grill needs playing time, even if some of those minutes are investing in future payoff. Same with Jackson.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018

We also haven't seen extended looks at his defense against more than mid-major offenses. Slow your roll a little. Prohm will put him in when he is ready.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
We also haven't seen extended looks at his defense against more than mid-major offenses. Slow your roll a little. Prohm will put him in when he is ready.
We've seen our offense against mid major D's too..and stating Griffin should start at the 3 was a stretch also. We just aren't going to win many games with no outside threat. 28% from the floor and 15% from 3 isn't going to cut it. I see Grill then Jackson as our next 2 best options. Wish Leech had panned out. Is what it is

• Disagree
Reactions: ComCY

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
We've seen our offense against mid major D's too..and stating Griffin should start at the 3 was a stretch also. We just aren't going to win many games with no outside threat. 28% from the floor and 15% from 3 isn't going to cut it. I see Grill then Jackson as our next 2 best options. Wish Leech had panned out. Is what it is
Oh I was definitely wrong on Griffin so far. I took Prohm's comments about how far he came way out of context. He is definitely not ready to start. Also if you think we continue to go 15% from downtown to heart just leave. Halli shot over 40% last year, and Rasir and Nixon both shot over 30% while being chuckers. They are going to get better looks as the season goes on.

Also 28% from the floor what kind of made up stats are you trying to put out there?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We've seen our offense against mid major D's too..and stating Griffin should start at the 3 was a stretch also. We just aren't going to win many games with no outside threat. 28% from the floor and 15% from 3 isn't going to cut it. I see Grill then Jackson as our next 2 best options.
Grill and Jackson don’t need to start to make an impact.

As poor of shooters as Nixon and Bolton may be, I’m guessing they’ll improve moderately from their current averages.

Probably just as important as Nixon’s shooting percentages, are his attempts. Nixon doesn’t need to be shooting that often imo. We can win with him focusing on defense, rebounding, and facilitating.

I do wonder if Grill will be another situation in which the staff is overly hesitant with a freshman. Certainly not unique to this staff.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Oh I was definitely wrong on Griffin so far. I took Prohm's comments about how far he came way out of context. He is definitely not ready to start. Also if you think we continue to go 15% from downtown to heart just leave. Halli shot over 40% last year, and Rasir and Nixon both shot over 30% while being chuckers. They are going to get better looks as the season goes on.

Also 28% from the floor what kind of made up stats are you trying to put out there?
28% is Nixon’s FG%, 15% being his 3P%.
Should go up some for everyone, but a lot of good looks so far. We should avoid Nixon having too many attempts imo. Haliburton shot well last year, but in a completely different role. We may need to play Jackson or Bolton at pg some to keep Haliburton as a plus shooter.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
28% is Nixon’s FG%, 15% being his 3P%.
Should go up some for everyone, but a lot of good looks so far. We should avoid Nixon having too many attempts imo. Haliburton shot well last year, but in a completely different role. We may need to play Jackson or Bolton at pg some to keep Haliburton as a plus shooter.
So if Nixon isn't taking attempts, who would you like to see shoot the ball? Halliburton only takes really good looks (tends to turn down some good looks), Rasir is 0% from 3 right now (should drastically improve as many have had some really bad bounces), other than those 2 we are asking a whole hell of a lot out of Young and Jacobson if you don't want Nixon to shoot.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
So if Nixon isn't taking attempts, who would you like to see shoot the ball? Halliburton only takes really good looks (tends to turn down some good looks), Rasir is 0% from 3 right now (should drastically improve as many have had some really bad bounces), other than those 2 we are asking a whole hell of a lot out of Young and Jacobson if you don't want Nixon to shoot.
Let’s not allude to it being a major change to have one guy reduce his attempts. I said he should avoid too many attempts, not that it would be zero. A little more from everyone else.

Prohm has commented on not having the “green light” this year, and the staff needing to dictate what’s a good shot more. Nixon reducing his attempts down to plays near the rim or open shots later in the shot clock would be a benefit. He rarely should be hunting his shot early in the possession (not the same as looking to break down the defense as opportunities present themselves).

Haliburton of this year isn’t limited to only really good looks. He’ll need to force things, and has. Likely a big reason why his percentage is down.

And yes, we’re going to ask a hell of a lot from Jacobson and Young (and Conditt). That’s never been a question. You can’t start two bigs without doing so, particularly on this team. Hence why there are some bearish views on the season.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

You are right, but Prohm has made exceptions.

Haliburton_Tyrese_KansasState_Big12_2018_19_7.jpg

He's started every game of his in the cardinal and gold save his first.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
This thread seems a bit early. We've played three games. Nixon was hot in game one. He and everyone but Grill (two shots) were cold as ice in game 3. Game 2 - just listened to most of the 2nd half and know TH got it going and Jackson hit a key three (just talking about guards). I like Grill and his potential - Jackson's too - and hope Prohm will go with a nine-man rotation and get them both minutes (though, Prohm is an 8-man guy, it seems; we'll see). But, it's a tad early to be deciding that Nixon stinks, Grill is great, etc. That may be how it plays out, but let's give it a little time.