Woodworkers Thread

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I own a lot of woodworking stuff. If you have a smaller shop this thing is fantastic.
Only complaint from most people is that the top can pinch your fingers during setup if you don't pay attention (never happened to me).
4159Wq44fFL._SX425_.jpg

Also, if you live in the metro join the Des Moines Woodworkers club. They meet regularly at Woodsmith store.
I just have the small Kreg Jig. That thing looks sweet though. I will have to look into this.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
I have the 40 dollar version of the jig and I’ve used the crap out of it with no complaints. That being said, I’m kind of a do more with less type of woodworker so I’ll probably never go up to the more expensive versions. The newer version looks a little different than what I have but I’m sure it functions the same.

I have been disappointed in my last few Kreg tool purchases but the pocket hole jig is kind of their thing.

Do you mind sharing which ones you have been disappointed in? Most of the product work I have done here has not hit the market but myself and the guys I work with here are always looking for feedback and ways to further improve products.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Impressive stuff, hoping to get on your level someday. Currently slowly but surely building up my tool repertoire.

The tool thing will always be a drawn out process. IMO what makes a decent woodworker is being creative with what you’ve got. That stuff above was made with a 130 dollar chop saw, a couple hundred dollar table saw and a circular saw. My cheaper router table with a flush trim bit is my joiner among other things. All of my long cuts are made with a straight edge and my circular saw. One of the better purchases I’ve made is a decent set of clamps. The pipe clamps from Rockler have been awesome. That and having a good blade in whatever you’re using.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Woodsmith has a great Kreg area.

I love going to Woodsmith and Acme. I would love it more if I had $3,000 I could spend every time I went.
Yes the only issues with Woodsmith is most everything is MSRP, so if you are a huge Amazon price compare type of person, its going to not be your cup of tea.
But the people are super knowledgeable and the store is a big asset to the metro.

I mentioned Des Moines Woodworkes, and if you are a member you get a discount there.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Woodsmith has a great Kreg area.

I love going to Woodsmith and Acme. I would love it more if I had $3,000 I could spend every time I went.
It's probably for the best I don't live closer to Des Moines or I'd really be in trouble with buying tools there.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Yes the only issues with Woodsmith is most everything is MSRP, so if you are a huge Amazon price compare type of person, its going to not be your cup of tea.
But the people are super knowledgeable and the store is a big asset to the metro.

I mentioned Des Moines Woodworkes, and if you are a member you get a discount there.

Nice, I have seen the Des Moines Woodworkers flyers before there but have never looked into it. Definitely will if you get a discount.

Agreed though, you may pay a little extra at Woodsmith but its a great place to go if you aren't quite sure what you need or how to do it.

From my understanding, they get their lumber from Liberty Hardwoods in Ankeny. If you know what you want, I have heard good things about it.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Do you mind sharing which ones you have been disappointed in? Most of the product work I have done here has not hit the market but myself and the guys I work with here are always looking for feedback and ways to further improve products.

Its mostly production issues I think. I had to get a replacement pocket square deal because the metal ruler had a ton of play in the guides. It was almost worthless trying to use it as a square.

The automaxx clamps I have are almost worthless. The tension is never the same when trying to use them repetitively. I contacted Kreg about them and they said there was a production issue and to completely loosen the tension screw and retighten them. That did absolutely nothing to fix it. I wish they still sold the old style clamps in the bigger sizes.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Its mostly production issues I think. I had to get a replacement pocket square deal because the metal ruler had a ton of play in the guides. It was almost worthless trying to use it as a square.

The automaxx clamps I have are almost worthless. The tension is never the same when trying to use them repetitively. I contacted Kreg about them and they said there was a production issue and to completely loosen the tension screw and retighten them. That did absolutely nothing to fix it. I wish they still sold the old style clamps in the bigger sizes.

Sorry to hear that, I can understand how that would be frustrating.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Great work on those projects @AgronAlum . Thanks for setting up this thread as well. I recently just moved so my shop is a disaster right now but the nice thing is I now have a deep 2 car garage and a dedicated wood shop room off of it to work with.

Yeah I’m doing all this out of a standard two car that my wife thinks she still needs to park in. That and having two kids and their crap everywhere makes space a bit of an issue. I’ll post after awhile what my shop area looks like after rebuilding it a few months back.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I thought I was talented, maybe not lol. I use pine for top surfaces. Will post pictures later.

It doesn’t take much to make that jump. That dresser was my first attempt at anything with a real drawer. The tops were my first attempt at using the thick solid stock like that.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Yeah I’m doing all this out of a standard two car that my wife thinks she still needs to park in. That and having two kids and their crap everywhere makes space a bit of an issue. I’ll post after awhile what my shop area looks like after rebuilding it a few months back.
Up until the middle of August I was doing everything out of a cramped basement shop. I just about killed myself and a couple of my friends getting all of the stationary power tools and my bench hauled out. Now I've got an over sized (heated) garage stall that I'm slowly setting up. Once I'm all settled in it should be a great space to work in.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I'm still at the early stages for sure so not quite near the same level.

I did build a few outdoor chairs and a table two years ago for our balcony when we lived downtown. They weren't my plans but I modified both for fit and looks to get what I wanted. SketchUp was really easy for me to pick up and has definitely been useful for visualizing projects before I start.

tumblr_q0yz7fF99R1uyjtepo1_400.jpg

They held up great through the brutal winter and heavy snow. The chairs were done entirely with a small Kreg R3 pocket jig. Didn't want to glue anything in case I had to assemble/disassemble to move in and out.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Up until the middle of August I was doing everything out of a cramped basement shop. I just about killed myself and a couple of my friends getting all of the stationary power tools and my bench hauled out. Now I've got an over sized (heated) garage stall that I'm slowly setting up. Once I'm all settled in it should be a great space to work in.

This was where I was at in my old house. Basement shops are not as ideal. I had a pretty narrow doorway to get down into it too.

My only problem now is I have stuff all over my garage that needs to find a home before I can really get organized in the shop. Helps that I don't have kids though.