STAFF PICKS: Xavier Foster

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Is Foster going to be at the NIU game tomorrow?

I have absolutely no idea. If he is I assume he will be down in the corner where the recruits, redshirts, and transfers sit, when the camera pans him he'll get a huge round of cheers.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
When he committed, there was a tweet from someone that covers Troy that was very high on his potential
No sources, but I’d expect Johnson to be a competent Big 12 player.

It wasn’t a scramble mode pickup like back in 2015 or 2016. He’s an athletic, long, 6’6” forward with some guard skills, and this staff, particularly Kane, have known him for years. With that in mind, they invested a redshirt to take him.

I’d be very surprised if he were a miss. I think the biggest thing is the fit- as a small-ball four, he has a lot of potential.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If Fran finishes mid-pack in B1G (or worse) and doesn't get a Dance invite - and gives both his kids major minutes this season, he's gotta be gone. They will have worse expectations for the '20-21 season .
Mid-pack is great for Iowa, and Fran is doing a very good job imo. It’s a place that’s very tough to win at.

Iowa could do a lot worse, and have. That job destroyed a National Coach of the Year so badly he couldn’t find another D1 job.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I got to work early this morning (I teach at Grinnell HS) and had an interesting convo with a colleague of mine (hok alumnus) just after the news broke. His wife is a VERY IMPORTANT figure at Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance and has huge connections all over the state. They were invited over to the McCaffrey's house last week (with other important donors, etc). First, he said that Fran is completely different than his in-game and post-game persona (funny and very "likable").
After shooting the bull with Fran, my co-worker mustered the courage to ask him about Foster. In response, Fran said that they "had done all they possibly could have done but, ultimately, had no idea which program the kid would pick." He also claimed that it was the same for ISU as well, and that neither of the staffs would really know what the decision would be until decision day.
Not really earth-shattering news. Wish I had been able to talk to my co-worker yesterday - it would have shaped my thinking a little better, and would have counteracted my other source's "take" on the matter (that he was very, very likely going to choose the Hoks).

Oh, and BTW, I loved the actual silence from my co-worker when I mentioned that XF's "determining factor" for choosing the Cyclones was the track record of getting guys to the NBA. This has always been the Hok mantra (especially from this co-worker) about the
alleged superiority of their FB program. It was nice to actually throw that tidbit back in his face (in a good-natured way - this guy is generally a good dude).

Have you ever considered that the real "Fran" is the one on the court screaming at officials, throwing chairs, and kicking laptops.... and the fake "Fran" is the one that is nice to people at donor events where you HAVE to be nice to people?

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Have you ever considered that the real "Fran" is the one on the court screaming at officials, throwing chairs, and kicking laptops.... and the fake "Fran" is the one that is nice to people at donor events where you HAVE to be nice to people?
Or the one that chased a ref down the hallway calling him a cheater