Appreciating the 2009 Nebraska upset 10 years later

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I rode over to that game in 2009 from Omaha to Lincoln in a motorhome filled with my friends, all Husker fans. They duct taped an aluminum fold-up lawn chair to the ladder on the back with a big label on it, "Larry's Chair." Needless to say, it was one of the more memorable days as a Cyclone fan. Darn near had to sit in that lawn chair to get back home, still would have been worth it!

83cy

May 14, 2006
How bad do you have to be to get 8 turnovers and still almost lose. Still loved that game and I realize ISU was second string QB and RB.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
How bad do you have to be to get 8 turnovers and still almost lose. Still loved that game and realize ISU was second string QB and RB.

And Nebraska was pretty good that year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
How bad do you have to be to get 8 turnovers and still almost lose. Still loved that game and realize ISU was second string QB and RB.
Keep in mind that Nebraska had an incredible defense including Suh who despite being an unbelievable headcase still keeps finding employment in the NFL because he is so good he's apparently worth the headache.

#1 defense giving up 10.4 points a game over 14 games.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Keep in mind that Nebraska had an incredible defense including Suh who despite being an unbelievable headcase still keeps finding employment in the NFL because he is so good he's apparently worth the headache.

#1 defense giving up 10.4 points a game over 14 games.
Even still, it's pretty tough to swallow the idea of nearly having a higher turnover margin than points scored in a game, especially one that we actually won. That's a wild thought.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
My one and only time to see a game in Lincoln. Attended with a Husker buddy and was surrounded by the Big Red faithful. It was a blast. Weirdest football game I've ever watched on TV or in person.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
We are in a much better place now. But it was the first 3-4 years of the rhoads era that made us believe that even upsets were possible.

Up until then ISU always lost to the teams they were "supposed" to lose to. Rhoads may not have worked out in the end, but he instilled a new confidence in the program and fanbase that we hadn't seen in a long time.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
1. I remember getting ready to watch the game and, based a lot on each team's performance to that point in the season, I wasn't optimistic and that day I had a few "productive" things I thought I should do. So I thought, I'll watch until the game gets out of hand. It got out of hand -- for Nebraska, literally. I was so giddy.
2. I remember thinking toward the end (and afterward) how ISU never seems to win in situations like that, even if the game stays close. Heavy favorite, coupled with missing two key offensive players ...