What is our offense

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
OU has a bad defense, so KSU ran it 48 times on them today.

OSU also has a bad defense, so Manning figured we should throw it 62 times.
Well now.....I watched the game and KSU does one thing that most teams dont....Run their quarterback on draws and sweeps a lot of the time esp down near the goal line....

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Hall should have had 30 carries today and Purdy another 10. We should have lined up with 3 TEs and pounded the snot out of them until they actually committed to stopping the run. They sat back all day and dared us to run and we weren’t patient enough to do it.

We got Heacocked today.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
There’s no flow to our play calling, it literally feels like picking random plays on a video game.
Agree, it’s the nuances and details.
We’re not far off, and we generally have enough talent to brute force things, but play sequence is very average.

Every staff will have their moments though, good and bad.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Agree, it’s the nuances and details.
We’re not far off, and we generally have enough talent to brute force things, but play sequence is very average.

Every staff will have their moments though, good and bad.

Yeah I’m not sitting here with a pitchfork wanting to fire people, but it is an area the staff needs improvement on.

Spam

May 21, 2008
There’s no flow to our play calling, it literally feels like picking random plays on a video game.

I wish it was random. If random, it would at least be unpredictable. But it was not random. Seemed like the plan was to always throw it unless it's 3rd down and 2 or less.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hall should have had 30 carries today and Purdy another 10. We should have lined up with 3 TEs and pounded the snot out of them until they actually committed to stopping the run. They sat back all day and dared us to run and we weren’t patient enough to do it.

We got Heacocked today.

Exactly right! They were rushing 3 most of the game and playing 8 back, like we do to people. You have to commit to running it against that alignment all day long until they get out of it to stop you.

I would have loved to see a lot more 3 TE sets and just run, run, run with Hall.... and with Purdy on some RPO's. Maybe even throw in a few hand offs to WR's going in motion as well to test the edges once in a while. Then, once they start coming up to stop that, then you beat them with some play action to the TE's.... or even some really deep balls to Milton, Scates, or Shaw.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
They thought wrong today.
Campbell seems to be a little stubborn when it comes to changing his game plans. We were moving the ball with Hall. No reason to not continue to force the safeties up. Purdy missed a ton of open guys today though. Was just a really pedestrian day for the offense. Especially play calling.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
And there's still people out there that wonder why us life long (40+ years) Cyclone fans are still too afraid to set our expectations too high.

Games like the Iowa, Baylor, and today's game are the reasons why.

I honestly feel like we are still a better team than all of those as far as the talent on the field. But we just cannot get out of our own way, and find way too many ways to lose games we shouldn't IMO. It's the ISU way. We lost the Alamo Bowl on false start penalties for crying out loud. Now that is finding every way possible to lose.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
When the game was tied 27-27, we ran a Brock designed run first time all game for 6 yards on 1st down. 2nd and 4 should have immediately gone to Breece Hall.

Instead, we pass the ball back to back on 2nd and 3rd. And you know how it ends.

The one thing your offense CANNOT do in a tie game when your defense has played lights out all second half.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
When the game was tied 27-27, we ran a Brock designed run first time all game for 6 yards on 1st down. 2nd and 4 should have immediately gone to Breece Hall.

Instead, we pass the ball back to back on 2nd and 3rd. And you know how it ends.

The one thing your offense CANNOT do in a tie game when your defense has played lights out all second half.

I think Brock also completed like a 15 yard forward pass today for a zero yard gain. He was backpedaling, and backpedaling..... as usual..... and then completed a nice 15 yard pass back to the line of scrimmage. I can only imagine Manning on the sideline giving a little fist pump after that great completion..... until finding out it gained us nothing.

• Funny
Reactions: dirtyninety

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
every great offense has an identity. You have to become great at one thing. Not just ok at a bunch of them.

In my lifetime, I don’t think Iowa State has ever had an identity on offense. Not once. Yet it seems like our coaching staff is so devoted to “establishing an identity” that they are not willing to change things up when it’s not working. Why can’t our identity be being a balanced offense? Because that’s the one thing that has very clearly worked this year and yet we abandon it

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Campbell seems to be a little stubborn when it comes to changing his game plans. We were moving the ball with Hall. No reason to not continue to force the safeties up. Purdy missed a ton of open guys today though. Was just a really pedestrian day for the offense. Especially play calling.

I'm having a hard time understanding how week after week we watch ISU go for broke when they just need 3 yards, or all of the sudden shift into some weird formation and jack around with longer developing plays when they've found a rhythm and success by simply putting the ball into playmakers' hands.

Jones, Pettway, Kolar, Akers, Purdy and Hall are all very capable of getting the ball and creating their own space. Why not give them that opportunity?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

That last drive should have been the all Breece all the time show until OSU committed the bodies to stop it. The staff tried being smarter by half.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
In my lifetime, I don’t think Iowa State has ever had an identity on offense. Not once. Yet it seems like our coaching staff is so devoted to “establishing an identity” that they are not willing to change things up when it’s not working. Why can’t our identity be being a balanced offense? Because that’s the one thing that has very clearly worked this year and yet we abandon it

Maybe with Troy Davis. Back then, we were just going to run Troy all game long and everyone in the stadium knew it, and defenses still couldn't stop him.

But we still couldn't win many games though.