Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.

Last edited:

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Good luck man. There isn't any magic secret or diet plan out there. You need a lifestyle change and not a diet or you will just put it all back on again. I have a friend that has lost over 100 pounds three different times in his life and he is bigger now than he has ever been. It isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle and something you have to do for the rest of your life.

Move more, eat less. That's all it takes.

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
The theory is simple, you can't outrun a diet. Unless you want to train for an Ironman or something.

The hardest thing is changing your diet lifestyle. Stick to non-processed foods and eat fresh food. Don't worry about cutting out bread and whatnot at first. Assuming you eat out a lot make that change first. Cook at home and cook fresh foods. Do this for 6 months and start to tweek it.

Have you lifted in the past? Highschool, etc? If so, and you can hold yourself accountable to go 3 times a week. Then just start lifting Core and legs will help burn the most. The best workout you can do is swimming. If you can swim a mile or so 3-4 times a week you will notice a lot of improvement.

I am not opposed to Crossfit. Just make sure you aren't doing it to get big muscle gains. Focus on proper form and not get hurt. This is my number 1 issue with Crossfit. Trainers pack classes and it is easy to screw up your back with functional movement/lifts if the trainer are not constantly looking at your form.

Don't do one of the meal services. The sodium is outrageous in those things and will probably give you higher blood pressure in the end.

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
Good luck. As i have gotten older i can feel your pain. Do you have a plan to lose the weight?

Reactions: cyclone4L
L

LincolnWay187

Once you start seeing results and realizing you feel better after eating less/better food... the ball will get rolling even faster. Just gotta get it rolling first.

Its 90 percent diet, 10 percent exercise in my opinion. If you have to pick one to focus on.. do diet. Cut sugar/soda/ booze/Drinks other than water.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

Good luck!

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I can to a lesser degree relate to you. I graduated highschool at (6'2") 155lbs, college at 180lbs and post college got all the way up to 245lbs from food/booze and definitely felt several of the symptoms you describe. You can do it just don't get discouraged from small set backs and do what you CAN do and you will see results. Good luck.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I would highly recommend checking into the idea of Intuitive Eating (the book is great). The idea is essentially that strict diets do not work because eventually our biological drive to have what we are denying ourselves will win out (which is why so many people rebound). But learning to acknowledge when you are full, not treating food as "good" or "bad" (ie, I have to choke down this salad to earn my dessert) and making small but manageable changes over time will make it something you can really stick to in the long run.

Best of luck to you! Oh, and for exercise, pick things you like! Makes it way easier to incorporate into your life. Maybe right now that's just walking but maybe by mid-winter it's joining a rec sport or doing pickup basketball at the gym with friends.

https://www.intuitiveeating.org/10-principles-of-intuitive-eating/

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Good for you, my man! You can do it. I will look forward to the updates and hope that you achieve your personal goal. The world needs more Cyclones, so lose that weight so you can stay with us here on planet Earth for as long as possible. Exercise, sleep and diet seem to be the keys.

Good luck!