RAGBRAI Organizers Split from Register

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Rods just curious what do you disagree with? You think it is best to have two routes, the same week with riders needing to choose which one they should do? The huge participation is the one main draws.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Exactly it isn’t so much that they did a background check although the depth they went from what I can tell is far from industry standard. The issue is understanding what is newsworthy and relevant to the story. In no way was this newsworthy. Carson received no financial benefit and really was just a tool to do good. If there was fraud that may be one thing but he wasn’t handling the money at that point it was being handled by Venmo.

the Register has proven time and time again with this that they don’t understand the issue. That’s why they are continuing to get the backlash. If they can’t recognize that they screwed up then they can’t and won’t survive.
Exactly. I would have been fine and actually expected a story on how they screwed up, cancel culture run a muck, yadda yadda yadda and in the end saying “and this is why we will not be firing our staff writer.” That would have been the best move and it doesn’t take a NYC PR firm to figure that out.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Rods just curious what do you disagree with? You think it is best to have two routes, the same week with riders needing to choose which one they should do? The huge participation is the one main draws.

I don’t think it will ultimately come down to that. My gut is telling me the Register’s participation has been torpedoed, and there will still be only one ride.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
It's fine to do the background check, I dont disagree with that part. Their mistake was publishing the tweets they found. It had no relevance to the story and were from 8 years ago when he was a 16 year old kid. There was no purpose or benefit to publish what they did and then double down on the backlash it created was even dumber. Now they just shot themselves in the foot once again with this new RAGBRAI controversy too. At what point do you just swallow your pride and admit mistakes were made and apologize or just keep dumping gas on the fire? They've taken a bit hit financially and PR wise on this and will continue to do so if they keep taking the stance they are. Its pissed off a lot of people in their target audience they may never get back as customers now.

Carson had come out of this mess looking better than before while the DMR has done further damage to themselves by continuing down the path of poor choices.

You mention all these bad choices but after their mistake of bringing these old tweets to light, what exactly have they done wrong? They explained themselves repeatedly and extensively. It obviously wasn't enough to pacify people but it wasn't for lack of trying and it's hardly "doubling down" on their part.

As for today, their staff quit. Why is that the Register's fault? Because they wanted to manage the PR? That is 100% their prerogative as both the owner of RAGBRAI and the employer of the event marketing staff.

I dont have much of an issue with the reporter as I do the editors that chose to run the story then throw him under the bus as the scapegoat while they kept their jobs. The editors could have taken what he found and directed him not to publish it because it was not relevant and could cause controversy but they decided to run with it because we live in an age of click bait and juicy stories that drive ad revenue and they probably saw it as as a story that would drive up traffic and ad revenue for them. They failed to account how the public might react and the negative consequences that could happen and now they are paying the price for it.

If an editor isn't ultimately fired, or announces a "retirement" in coming weeks for this, I'd be very surprised. There are buyouts and other face-saving maneuvers involved for executives and those wheels always take longer to turn. 25-year-old reporters don't have that so they're fired by noon the next day.

I find the idea that the Register tried to smear him for the sake of click bait so silly as to be barely worth considering. It's an effusive, over-the-top friendly profile the likes of which almost nobody gets. The Register - like every other media outlet and personality in Iowa and beyond - wanted to bask in his glow. They gain nothing by destroying him and bringing his great, nationwide feelgood story to a screeching halt, which is why they buried it near the end of the story as an afterthought.

Remember...Busch found the tweets too, and someone was going to have to explain why they pulled out. If the Register hadn't reported on it that day, they would have been forced to a day or two later.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I don’t think it will ultimately come down to that. My gut is telling me the Register’s participation has been torpedoed, and there will still be only one ride.
Okay, understand. Register has already said they will be going forward with the ride but we will see who the teams and various groups go with. That will be the deciding factor. Wonder if the Iowa bike expo goes on in January still.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I don't see 2 rides happening. The Register's version is dead at this point with the announcement today. With all the backlash and bad PR they have received there is no way they'll be able to scramble to get a team together to plan it plus even if they did pretty sure their ride will be much less attended than this new one. Just read the comments on their FB post and you can see that.

If they dig in on this I don't see it ending well for them.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: cyson and JP4CY

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It's now "routine" to dig up **** on a person that sparked a campaign to donate over $1 million dollars to sick children?

Get a grip.

They’re the local paper. They don’t want to get embarrassed nationally by doing a glowing profile on some kid that’s actually Hitler Youth. The mistake imo was deciding to print it. Printing it really didn’t do much harm in the end, though.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They’re the local paper. They don’t want to get embarrassed nationally by doing a glowing profile on some kid that’s actually Hitler Youth. The mistake imo was deciding to print it. Printing it really didn’t do much harm in the end, though.
Printing it raised more money, IMO. The up in arms part for a lot of people is that he owned it right away, it’s something that many of us realize that we did worse at that age, and the Register’s response has been dog ****.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Okay, understand. Register has already said they will be going forward with the ride but we will see who the teams and various groups go with. That will be the deciding factor. Wonder if the Iowa bike expo goes on in January still.

Sorry, didn’t see that story. I still think that may be pushing forward for the sake of posture on the Register’s side. Pretty hard to continue on in the same manner when you just lost your entire staff. Maybe a more likely scenario is that they do a shorter event at a different time.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

The irony here is that his campaign almost certainly did much better than it ever would have without the controversy. And now to exact revenge people are going to nuke RAGBRAI, which brings tons of people, media attention and goodwill to Iowa - and oh by the way donates money to communities and charities.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Didnt do too much harm to Carson and his story but it did do harm to the DMR reputation (what was left of one I guess) and surely financially for them too. It was a terrible decision to run that story about his old tweets and even dumber to take the advice of their PR firm to not apologize and admit their mistake. It was not relevant nor newsworthy for them to include that in their profile story and they would have been much better off leaving that out than the mess they have found themselves in now.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And looking at their website it seems that they've been planning it for quite a while. At first glance it sure looks like the organizers have left the Register high and dry with not much time to recover and still get the 2020 ride put together.

^ This. The Carson King stuff was just cover. This is business ambition and ego stuff. This is NOT something they cooked up in the last couple of week. The King stuff just gives them more cover and paints them as good guys which maybe they won't have been perceived as w/o latching onto the King angle. But people will eat this up and diss on the Register as to blame. I am not a huge Register fan by any means, mostly because they kinda suck now as a small cog in a cost cutting big conglomerate.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Didnt do too much harm to Carson and his story but it did do harm to the DMR reputation (what was left of one I guess) and surely financially for them too. It was a terrible decision to run that story about his old tweets and even dumber to take the advice of their PR firm to not apologize and admit their mistake. It was not relevant nor newsworthy for them to include that in their profile story and they would have been much better off leaving that out than the mess they have found themselves in now.

Agree with this. Carson did a great thing and has been treated as such. Register made a bad choice and took a big blow. Things sort of worked like they should.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron