Role players were huge today

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I love how CPR seems to watch everyone at all times. You practice hard and well, you play, if you having a good game you play more. Keeps guys hungry.

His comments about Hall were interesting pertaining to practicing hard and the "we'll see" kind of angle for what's down the road. Likely just a freshman taking some time to get settled in.

He was finishing 'forward' at least nearly every carry yesterday.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
What are we going to do next year when Lima and Johnson are gone? We have solid DEs for next year. Interior will be interesting.

Really need to land this guy:

https://247sports.com/Player/Latrell-Bankston-46050485/

He's putting up solid numbers @ an elite JuCo program and now has Auburn sniffing around.

Josh Bailey & Isaiah Lee need to step up or Willis Singleton contributes as a true freshman like Jamahl Johnson did. Tucker Robertson has essentially been moved to DE. Walk-on Kyle Krezek had a nice high school career @ Xavier, but needs to pound some iron & cheeseburgers.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Shout out to our “non-traditional” stars today. They were 100% the difference. Guys like Jamahl Johnson, Breece Hall, LaMichael Pettway, Brayden Narveson and others.

We were missing three defensive starters and only gave up 1 TD on defense. Completely shut them down.

ISU teams of the past would be solid at the top of the depth chart, but struggle as the season went on and injuries piled up. It’s fun to watch young guys get their chance and come in and succeed.

Side note: Zach Petersen is going to be playing on Sundays in 3-4 years.

I didn't get to watch the game, because my daughter had four softball games (and I run the team's GameChanger). I did peek at a few plays between innings on the ESPN app, and I saw Jamahl Johnson just absolutely flatten whoever was blocking him and then run over WVU's backfield for a TFL. Loved seeing that play. Wish I could have watched the whole game!

Reactions: khardbored

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
For everyone not giving Lima his due. Johnson is fantastic, I agree, but he has gotten the opportunity to really be the secondary guy. Lima in for first series, then Johnson when they can sub him in. When he blew up that run play on Saturday, that was his first snap of the series. What I am trying to say is FRESH LEGS MATTER. Incredibly talented and to have the ability to have both of those guys fresh is incredible.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
It's been working well with 3 down lineman, with how well johnson has been I always wonder what we'd look like with Petersen, Johnson, Lima, and Uwarzike out there more often.

I'm curious what advantage you think that would gain. We're already stout against the run. Our linebackers generate pressure on passing downs. Most QBs we face get rid of the ball so quickly more pressure won't impact the pass defense.

More hands in the face of the QB and in throwing lanes would be one reason. We have some really tall/long DL that should be batting more balls down

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Actually there are no commercial breaks or halftime when I record the games, the beauty of fast forward. The wife is a bit of a night owl and I can be too with the right motivation.

giphy.gif

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I've been calling for a Jamahl Johnson breakout since he was a So. He always showed flashes, but now he is putting it all together. Most impressive to me were two plays yesterday where he read screen right away, peeled off and disrupted the play.
There are plays Jamahl can make that no one else on this team can make. Dude has figured it out and might get himself drafted.

My favorite was when he ran the O lineman straight into their running back for a loss