NBA in China

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The fact that Reddit thread is now gone is telling. I don't think we all understand how much China is affecting world views. The NBA just shut down a reporter today who asked Harden and Westbrook their opinion on sharing their SJW opinions now. This could get real ugly.

I think the NBA is trying to wait out the news cycle. The media cannot let that happen.

The NBA is meeting with some of their partners in China today/tomorrow so I suspect they’ve been “heavily recommended” to STFU. I don’t see much hypocrisy there, but could see why some would.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It's Kerr, James and Pop that have been running thier mouthes the past 2 years about Trump. Now they sit silent on China and how they treat people?

Is your grievance is with them “running their mouth” on Trump or with them being silent on China? Your choice of language is a little telling.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Is your grievance is with them “running their mouth” on Trump or with them being silent on China? Your choice of language is a little telling.

I agree i dont think its a double standard at all. You have the right to critize what you want in this country and unlike China won't be outright banned... we still have the right to decide what we want to support. Your welcome not to watch the NBA if you don't like the politics but be thankful you get the choice.

Personally i'd like to see the NBA take a stand here, its going to take US companies to cut them off to get some of their citizens to push the issue.

Reactions: Doc

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I don't care about the NBA hardly at all in general, but I do have to admit that same people who complain about social stuff in sports are now complaining that the NBA is stopping some social stuff in sports is rather ironic. You'd think they'd be supporting this action, regardless of actual context -- it's about the social stuff in general, not the specific message, right?

I think my UNTESTED working theory is companies that are "woke" aren't POLITICALLY "woke" - they are FINANCIALLY "woke". Nike may be a progressive organization but I think it's more a function of their market and their manufacturing and not closely held political beliefs. Same with NBA, google, etc... And that shouldn't surprise me but I do allow my naivete to creep back in once in awhile.

But I'm honestly getting confused on whom I'm supposed to cancel, shun, marry or ostracize.

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I agree i dont think its a double standard at all. You have the right to critize what you want in this country and unlike China won't be outright banned... we still have the right to decide what we want to support. Your welcome not to watch the NBA if you don't like the politics but be thankful you get the choice.

Personally i'd like to see the NBA take a stand here, its going to take US companies to cut them off to get some of their citizens to push the issue.

That is changing quickly.. Cough..cough.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think the NBA has done a fine job of sticking to its values thus far, but they have a tough row to hoe moving forward, with China slapping it’s big swinging **** against them.

That caught my eye and the first thing I thought of was "jumbo shrimp"...

• Funny
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
The NBA is meeting with some of their partners in China today/tomorrow so I suspect they’ve been “heavily recommended” to STFU. I don’t see much hypocrisy there, but could see why some would.

NFL is all about protecting the shield - NBA likely doing the same.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I think my UNTESTED working theory is companies that are "woke" aren't POLITICALLY "woke" - they are FINANCIALLY "woke". Nike may be a progressive organization but I think it's more a function of their market and their manufacturing and not closely held political beliefs. Same with NBA, google, etc... And that shouldn't surprise me but I do allow my naivete to creep back in once in awhile.

But I'm honestly getting confused on whom I'm supposed to cancel, shun, marry or ostracize.

That's easy, just throw the idea out to the Twitter wolves. If they destroy your good. It they like it or ignore it I would probably think twice.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

This is where I try and cut a very fine line as hypocrisy doesn't have an r or a d after it. The instant this becomes that, nobody is immune for their vocal stance - or silence - on any given topic.

Not saying something isn't the same thing as saying something meaning silence doesn't automatically mean acceptance.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
That's easy, just throw the idea out to the Twitter wolves. If they destroy your good. It they like it or ignore it I would probably think twice.

I'd rather start an open thread here on why I love the hawks. I'd get WAY less brutality sent my way!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Call the NBA woke, but essentially it’s an association of 30 different businesses that can mostly agree on things like players not needing to just shut up and dribble, while also not being willing to dabble too seriously in international diplomacy, while takinglarge hits to organizational valuations and player salaries.

Some of you really need to set realistic expectations for your average “woke” person/organization ;).

I never said they were; I said they like to imply that they are. Big difference.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The fact that Reddit thread is now gone is telling. I don't think we all understand how much China is affecting world views. The NBA just shut down a reporter today who asked Harden and Westbrook their opinion on sharing their SJW opinions now. This could get real ugly.

I think the NBA is trying to wait out the news cycle. The media cannot let that happen.

Your point would be a lot stronger if you'd leave out "SJW".

The obvious fact that the Chinese government Trump has asked to decide our 2020 election is completely dishonest, evil and corrupt does not somehow dismiss concerns about racism in our country.

All spaces of the political spectrum are correct to criticize the NBA's original response. Ted Cruz is right. AOC is right. Fox News is right. CNN is right. NYT's conservative editorial board is right.

Where it comes off the rails is the insane suggestion that somehow this means people aren't allowed to speak out against racism in our own country or that retroactively their concerns were never real. News flash but every black NBA player has dealt with racism their entire life and most likely only been concerned about China/Hong Kong politics in the past few weeks.

Reactions: srjclone

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
This is not the situation. It Already Is a huge source of money for them. That is the only reason why they have acted in the manner they have. They do not want to lose that source.

Big source of revenue for them until China figures out how the NBA works, steals its game plan, and then develops a league of its own. Maybe they haven't figured out how to clone genetics though.

Reactions: SpokaneCY