NBA in China

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm not an NBA fan - but did any player take a knee over human rights abuses or are shoe sales just too good?

Edit: deleted giant Reddit bomb. If you’re curious , they’re compiling a list of companies who have kowtowed to pressure from China along with a list who have not.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Money >>> Freedom

I get the NBA's desire for a new large money source but some things aren't worth it.

Also I made it in :p

Reactions: SpokaneCY and Doc

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It is amazing the fit that China is throwing over one NBA tweet. Guess they weren't all in on the basketball thing.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Just a FYI to help you do your part to end China's human rights abuses.

The fact that Reddit thread is now gone is telling. I don't think we all understand how much China is affecting world views. The NBA just shut down a reporter today who asked Harden and Westbrook their opinion on sharing their SJW opinions now. This could get real ugly.

I think the NBA is trying to wait out the news cycle. The media cannot let that happen.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Does anyone understand the cap deal. Chris quoted a tweet saying teams were preparing for the cap to shrink. I don’t understand that. What does this have to do with the salary cap.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Does anyone understand the cap deal. Chris quoted a tweet saying teams were preparing for the cap to shrink. I don’t understand that. What does this have to do with the salary cap.

The cap is derived by the revenue the NBA generates. So if you lose the Chinese revenue, then there is less revenue, and the cap would shrink as it is a formula. Now I would bet the owners/players union would negotiate a deal, so it wouldn't drop all at once. But it is still a concern. I did the quick math, the NBA is looking at losing $1 billion of revenue, which means players' salaries could be reduced $500 million, as I believe the league and the players split the revenue 50/50 or close to it.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I don't care about the NBA hardly at all in general, but I do have to admit that same people who complain about social stuff in sports are now complaining that the NBA is stopping some social stuff in sports is rather ironic. You'd think they'd be supporting this action, regardless of actual context -- it's about the social stuff in general, not the specific message, right?

• Creative
Reactions: crawfy54

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The cap is derived by the revenue the NBA generates. So if you lose the Chinese revenue, then there is less revenue, and the cap would shrink as it is a formula. Now I would bet the owners/players union would negotiate a deal, so it wouldn't drop all at once. But it is still a concern. I did the quick math, the NBA is looking at losing $1 billion of revenue, which means players' salaries could be reduced $500 million, as I believe the league and the players split the revenue 50/50 or close to it.
I didn’t realize it was a formula I though it was just set by the league and CBA.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think the direction from the NBA to its players, coaches, etc. is pretty simple. We support your right to voice your opinions, but as with all things, please understand potential consequences, and try to understand the depth of your own knowledge on things before speaking out. There is a difference between speaking out on domestic issues you’re more familiar with, and issues involving a different cultures with geopolitical consequences.

I think the NBA has done a fine job of sticking to its values thus far, but they have a tough row to hoe moving forward, with China slapping it’s big swinging **** against them.

If the NBA ends it’s relationship with China, you’re not just supporting HK, you’re also hurting millions of Chinese people who love basketball and do not support the actions of their own government. These are the people who could eventually change China.

I thought the immediate condemnation from the “woke” on Twitter was ridiculous. But also, when you’re a hammer, everything looks like a nail, and so many people are like moths to a flame when they think they see hypocrisy among the “woke”, but that’s a simple minded take.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I guess my hot take is I simply don’t want to hear the NBA talk about how “woke” they are on social issues anymore, not after they proved they are the just latest American business that cares more about money than they care about the **** that China pulls.

Call the NBA woke, but essentially it’s an association of 30 different businesses that can mostly agree on things like players not needing to just shut up and dribble, while also not being willing to dabble too seriously in international diplomacy, while takinglarge hits to organizational valuations and player salaries.

Some of you really need to set realistic expectations for your average “woke” person/organization ;).