Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Started out really fast and I think adrenaline took us through the first ten minutes. Other than the score (25-18 second) this has been fun to watch.
Decent crowd here in Hilton, especially for an 8 p.m. start.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Started out really fast and I think adrenaline took us through the first ten minutes. Other than the score (25-18 second) this has been fun to watch.
Decent crowd here in Hilton, especially for an 8 p.m. start.

That 9-0 Baylor run was demoralizing after being tied 15/15. Darn, had set point in the 1st to. Would have been nice to break their sets streak.

• Agree
Reactions: Ms3r4ISU

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
We’re playing well. Baylor is on another level
Pressley is arguably the best OH in the country along with Plummer from Stanford.

And Lockin is consistently good while Mauck will go through streaks of inefficient setting with the 2nd game being a prime example of that and also short arming a couple of sets late in the 3rd game.

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
When they got their HC, setter and Pressley at OH.
Head coach, yes. But remember Katie Staiger... she was outstanding! Of course, Pressley, goes without saying. Their setter is known to not have the best hands but is still a great setter!

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
What was the call when we were up 25-24 in set one that put us back to 24-24? Otis wanted to go out Otis Car Happy.jpg

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
baylor went over the net, but it was the third ball, so it would be just a normal block in that situation.

So you can go over the net on the third hit but not the first two? I’ve always been confused watching the daughters HS games. A rule I didn’t grasp.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
I just didn't understand a replay call? They must have blown the whistle?

Yes, the R1 whistled the play dead. It appeared there were two things in question. First, the first contact was by a blocker, but it appeared to have been below the level of the net - making it the first contact, rather than a block. Second, the timing of the third contact was very close to being simultaneous with the Baylor block. A simultaneous contact on third contact would be a reaching over fault.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyfan1965

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Baylor hasn't dropped a set since September 12 against Houston. 25 straight sets won by the Bears since dropping the third in their match with the Cougars. That's kind of crazy.

I thought ISU played quite well, honestly. Baylor was very good, but it seemed like their strategy was to simply keep the ball in play and wait for the other team to mess up (unless Pressley was on the floor - she could put down as powerful a kill as anyone I've seen recently). Their resume' indicates they should definitely be number one, but they didn't seem 'dominant' like some of those past Texas and Nebraska teams we have seen. ISU pushed two sets to extra points last night. I don't believe we will be the only ones to do that well against them.

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Baylor hasn't dropped a set since September 12 against Houston. 25 straight sets won by the Bears since dropping the third in their match with the Cougars. That's kind of crazy.

I thought ISU played quite well, honestly. Baylor was very good, but it seemed like their strategy was to simply keep the ball in play and wait for the other team to mess up (unless Pressley was on the floor - she could put down as powerful a kill as anyone I've seen recently). Their resume' indicates they should definitely be number one, but they didn't seem 'dominant' like some of those past Texas and Nebraska teams we have seen. ISU pushed two sets to extra points last night. I don't believe we will be the only ones to do that well against them.

ISU scouted Baylor well - others may follow the lead, but others do not have the middles ISU has, nor a setter that blocks as well as ours. If our OHs were cleaner, the match would have had a better outcome.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
ISU scouted Baylor well - others may follow the lead, but others do not have the middles ISU has, nor a setter that blocks as well as ours. If our OHs were cleaner, the match would have had a better outcome.
I thought our OHs didn't get enough good sets to make more kills and a lot of those substandard sets weren't the result of a faulty initial pass.