STAFF PICKS: Iowa State vs. TCU

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Picking TCU is odd to me because their offense is atrocious. Even if ISU offense doesn't do much I am betting they get put in really great position by the defense allowing for some easier scores. I will take ISU 17 TCU 6.
Their QB hasn't been consistent but they've still scored at least 34 points every game this year, and that includes games against Purdue and No. 24 SMU.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Iowa State has been good lately in "line in the sand" games. @ Okie State last year. @OU the year before that. Games where it feels like the direction of your season could either go one-way-or-the-other.

I like our chances.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and ATCy

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Picking TCU is odd to me because their offense is atrocious. Even if ISU offense doesn't do much I am betting they get put in really great position by the defense allowing for some easier scores. I will take ISU 17 TCU 6.

TCU has scored 39, 34, 38 & 51 in their games so far. Granted, Purdue is the toughest team they've played but they're putting up points.

I'm anticipating a game in the 20s from both sides and it will be a matter of who wins the turnover battle.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Their QB hasn't been consistent but they've still scored at least 34 points every game this year, and that includes games against Purdue and No. 24 SMU.

Uh they should score that many against Purdue. Their defense is horrible and all they had to do was run the football over and over and over. Purdue is 104th in defensive efficiency.
Kansas is 101st in defensive efficiency. And SMU is only rated because they beat TCU. They aren't a top 25 team. There is a reason ISU has a 65% chance to win this game according to FPI. ISU stops the run which will force their QBs to try and throw, which will not work out well for them.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Uh they should score that many against Purdue. Their defense is horrible and all they had to do was run the football over and over and over. Purdue is 104th in defensive efficiency.
Kansas is 101st in defensive efficiency. And SMU is only rated because they beat TCU. They aren't a top 25 team. There is a reason ISU has a 65% chance to win this game according to FPI. ISU stops the run which will force their QBs to try and throw, which will not work out well for them.

All great points! Hope you're right - Go Cyclones!

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Hope you're right... SMU's defensive efficiency is actually better than Iowa State's this year though so...

giphy.gif

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think we're better but Patterson is a great defensive coach and Our offensive staff has been out coached 3/4 games so far this year, despite all 3 of those teams doing basically the same thing. I want to say they'll get things figured out but it doesn't look good. I see a game just like Iowa/UNI and Baylor, we'll outplay them but make one too many mistakes. I really hope I'm wrong.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Hope you're right... SMU's defensive efficiency is actually better than Iowa State's this year though so...

giphy.gif

That is true. But I think partly it is based on who they have played which is a reason they are ranked in the high 30s in ESPN's FPI.

• Informative
Reactions: Fitzy

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Break even on turnovers and don't give up any return TDs. TCU has won by running the ball a lot. I'm guessing they've run the ball more than any team that doesn't run the triple option. That should give us an advantage, but who knows, our tackling has been bad this season compared to past Campbell teams.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
If ISU continues the woefully inconsistent play they lose by at least two scores. No matter how good the defense they will tire out of they are on the field having to rescue the team every game. If the offense pulls its collective head out of its butt (gets out of its own way) they win going away. I’m just not sure if Jeckyl or Hyde shows up tomorrow

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I also think the TO trend has to flip in one of these games for ISU and I think it does in here and ISU wins the TO battle.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I look for some changes in running back rotation and OL to shake things up. Bailey's injury will change defensive groupings and substitutions. Hopefully it all adds up to a jolt to help establish a running game that helps the offense finish drives and defense that gets off the field on 3rd and long.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I would say our offense is atrocious. Our defense is stout. I think TCU right now is the overall better team than Iowa State. Ill take TCU but hope I am wrong.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
We're obviously down on the team here, but FWIW, the national guys that I've heard pick this game are taking the Cyclones.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Their offense is averaging almost 500 yards and over 40 points a game. I dont care who you are playing, your not atrocious if you are putting up numbers like that. I expect us to keep them well under both, but I think TCU is good for 24-30 points here, so hopefully we can score more.

Help Support Us

Become a patron