Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://ew.com/movies/2019/08/24/tom-holland-spider-man-future-disney-sony/

Here is both Tom Holland's and Kevin Feige's first on-the-record responses to the deal falling through. When all this news first came out, I really thought everything was a big negotiating ploy and my optimism for a deal getting eventually done was still high. However, with all the further behind the scenes leaks combined with all the parties comments, I'm starting to lean further and further in the direction that this thing is donezo. The more that gets said, the less amicable these negotiations have seemed and the less interested Disney's top brass seem to have in focusing any effort on a character they don't own and control. Its too bad because, believe it or not, if I had the choice of having Spider-Man or the X-Men in the MCU proper, I'd choose Spider-Man.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Sorry, I know this is a little off the subject, but has America gone overboard with super-hero mind-numbing bs, or am I off base here? I really didn't want to start a new thread on this, but I went through new tv programs and movies, and than stuff has gone off the charts. I just don't get it.
Couldn't you say the same about cop shows, lawyer shows, doctor shows, politics shows?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'll admit to the "next phase" leaving me scratching my head.

Sitting on X-Men and FF for what will amount to 5 years and sorta losing Spiderman doesn't seem positive.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Sitting on X-Men and FF for what will amount to 5 years and sorta losing Spiderman doesn't seem positive.

I was hoping they would sit on X-Men for Phase 4 to give it a little breather. However, I was always hoping for the Fantastic 4's entrance to be ASAP, so I was a little disappointed there.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I was hoping they would sit on X-Men for Phase 4 to give it a little breather. However, I was always hoping for the Fantastic 4's entrance to be ASAP, so I was a little disappointed there.

I think they have the idea to "surprise guest star " some of the characters before their own big movies.

Nothing being planned seems like a great fit to me but I admit to being clueless about what's happened in the comic books themselves.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Couldn't you say the same about cop shows, lawyer shows, doctor shows, politics shows?
I just think this is a phenomena that resides here in the US. The only thing that might compare to it is China, with their mystic martial arts fighters. I used to watch little tv, because my life was too busy. But lately I have been getting into it more, and it just came to me as a bit of a shock. These thinks have always been popular, Superman, Batman. But now I am beginning to wonder if they are putting every super comic book character ever created on the screen. I am sorry if I have been offensive to any fans. Like I said, it was a bit of a shock.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Compare that to Universal making Dreamworks movies a tentpole of their movies, TV and consumer products as soon as possible immediately after the merger. Universal took Trolls/Trolls 2 and How to Train Your Dragon 3 and amped up the marketing for them by 10x what they would have had before the merger. Meanwhile Disney cancelled or postponed many of Fox's projects and has absolutely no plans for most of their major IPs.

I'm telling you, this was easily anti-trust territory with the Disney/Fox move. They bought a competitor to eliminate a competitor, that simple.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: harimad

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I just think this is a phenomena that resides here in the US. The only thing that might compare to it is China, with their mystic martial arts fighters. I used to watch little tv, because my life was too busy. But lately I have been getting into it more, and it just came to me as a bit of a shock. These thinks have always been popular, Superman, Batman. But now I am beginning to wonder if they are putting every super comic book character ever created on the screen. I am sorry if I have been offensive to any fans. Like I said, it was a bit of a shock.
Doesn't offend me, I'm not into comic books. But I grew up inspired to become Wonder Woman, so thank you Lynda Carter! And then Christopher Reeve and Michael Keaton came along. Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson. And all the zany ones in between like Remo Williams, Mystery Men, Watchmen, Scott Pilgrim, The Boys, etc. It's a valid genre, and you don't have to be a "grown nerd child"* to enjoy it.

* so yeah, f off Marc Maron. I still love GLOW, but you made the list, bro

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Compare that to Universal making Dreamworks movies a tentpole of their movies, TV and consumer products immediately as soon as possible immediately after the merger. Universal took Trolls/Trolls 2 and How to Train Your Dragon 3 and amped up the marketing for them by 10x what they would have had before the merger. Meanwhile Disney cancelled or postponed many of Fox's projects and has absolutely no plans for most of their major IPs.

I'm telling you, this was easily anti-trust territory with the Disney/Fox move. They bought a competitor to eliminate a competitor, that simple.

Without a doubt.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I've never been a Western guy, but I love me some 3:10 to Yuma. That movie was fantastic.
That's a good one. What happened to Ben Foster? Maybe I just don't watch the stuff he's been in. I thought he was going to be huge after this movie.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
That's a good one. What happened to Ben Foster? Maybe I just don't watch the stuff he's been in. I thought he was going to be huge after this movie.

Ben Foster is awesome. In fact, he is probably one of my favorite actors working today. The dude has still been around, but seems to like sticking to smaller to mid-level independent movies. He was great recently in Hell or High Water and Hostiles, but while critically acclaimed, neither of those movies were super mainstream. I honestly have no idea if he would be interested in making a comic book movie. It wouldn't surprise me if he was one of those guys zero interest in the genre.

• Agree
Reactions: mapnerd

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Reality TV plateaued too. There was a time where many actually thought TV dramas, comedy and action wouldn't exist any more because Big Brother was so great. Meanwhile HBO was just starting to take it to another level.

I mean imagine just a few years before Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones that most figured drivel like Big Brother and American Idol was the future zenith of entertainment.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy and harimad

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
  • Dislike
Reactions: State43

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Marvel and Spider-man: "Stronger Together"

Nothing could ever fail using that slogan ;-)

It is true that Sony is on an upswing (even outside the two Spider-man movies). Not sure it validates going their own way on Spider-man live action though.
It never fails. Pride cometh before a fall.