I-35 / US 30 Flyover Progress

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I never underestimate the timidity and lack of discernment by Iowa drivers.

P.S. I'm from Chicago, so that may be a factor in my perspective.

Perspective can be a funny thing. I wouldn't consider aggressive, bumper riding, lane jumping (typical per my experiences in the Chicago area) "good" driving practices if that's what you're implying? Or that following at a safe distance is passive or a lack of judgement...

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Perspective can be a funny thing. I wouldn't consider aggressive, bumper riding, lane jumping (typical per my experiences in the Chicago area) "good" driving practices if that's what you're implying? Or that following at a safe distance is passive or a lack of judgement...
There are to many overly passive drivers in Des Moines. Particularly ones that think they need to be in the left lanes. At least with aggressive drivers they are generally paying more attention.

I’m one of the more aggressive drivers in Des Moines and relatively passive in Chicago. I don’t mind their traffic.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
There are to many overly passive drivers in Des Moines. Particularly ones that think they need to be in the left lanes. At least with aggressive drivers they are generally paying more attention.

I’m one of the more aggressive drivers in Des Moines and relatively passive in Chicago. I don’t mind their traffic.

I think this could be said for anywhere non urban. In major urban areas especially like Chicago you have to drive that way or it wont' work. Get outside of that and there generally is no need to drive aggressively and when you do you stick out because no one else is doing it.

That being said it is good to know how to drive that way so you can when you need to.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think this could be said for anywhere non urban. In major urban areas especially like Chicago you have to drive that way or it wont' work. Get outside of that and there generally is no need to drive aggressively and when you do you stick out because no one else is doing it.

That being said it is good to know how to drive that way so you can when you need to.
Specifically in the Des Moines area there are rural people who think they are in the middle of nowhere still. You don’t have to be super aggressive here but relatively regularly I will come upon someone who is going slow enough that it’s hard to even pass them if you get to close. Those people are super dangerous. If you can’t at least get up to 60 on the ramp you can’t drive on the interstate.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yep they need to change this to a fly over (or a fly under with tunnels as I've seen done in other cities). There is space there with a little innovation.
Additionally, something to consolidate the onramps\offramps might be a decent idea with hickman\university like they have for some of the downtown offramps. All the traffic entering\exiting around there creates half of the problem.

Reactions: beentherebefore

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Specifically in the Des Moines area there are rural people who think they are in the middle of nowhere still. You don’t have to be super aggressive here but relatively regularly I will come upon someone who is going slow enough that it’s hard to even pass them if you get to close. Those people are super dangerous. If you can’t at least get up to 60 on the ramp you can’t drive on the interstate.

Every day I think I turn into my dad more. I'm not saying people going slower in the left lane aren't annoying, but if you're in such a hurry maybe you should have left 5 minutes earlier. If you're in the metro and driving 15 miles, you gain less than 2 minutes by going 10 over the speed limit vs going the speed limit. I'd argue lane hoppers are far more dangerous, trying to shoot gaps and slamming on brakes. It's not like people are going 50 in the left lane.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Every day I think I turn into my dad more. I'm not saying people going slower in the left lane aren't annoying, but if you're in such a hurry maybe you should have left 5 minutes earlier. If you're in the metro and driving 15 miles, you gain less than 2 minutes by going 10 over the speed limit vs going the speed limit. I'd argue lane hoppers are far more dangerous, trying to shoot gaps and slamming on brakes. It's not like people are going 50 in the left lane.

The best are the people constantly changing lanes during morning or afternoon rush hour on 235. Many times, they end up no better off than if they just stayed in one lane. It's funny watching them hop around and end up ahead of them by the time you get to the downtown exits.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
The best are the people constantly changing lanes during morning or afternoon rush hour on 235. Many times, they end up no better off than if they just stayed in one lane. It's funny watching them hop around and end up ahead of them by the time you get to the downtown exits.
My personal pet peeve is 35N at the east mixer. There's like 4 lanes coming together, each has their own lane and yet so many cars have cross the solid line to change lanes immediately. WHY?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I don’t mind going slower. My biggest problem spot is coming home in the east mix. A couple of times a month I have a tough time getting on there because people are going to slow. I will be trying to accelerate to get up to speed while watching behind to merge yet have to worry about someone who can’t get up to speed or isn’t going up to normal speed. The worst offenders are actually in the middle lane. They go 55-60 and you have to merge around them because they are going so far below the pace of traffic.

I tend to go on the faster side but I don’t like to shoot gaps. I also can’t stand the people here who don’t use proper following distance. I can’t tell you how often I’m just following someone and people cut over in front of me.

This is more just normal city drivers but downtown I have issues with the people who think they need to merge right away onto the ramps. There are backups as people try and slow down to get over right away when they have plenty of room to merge.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I don’t mind going slower. My biggest problem spot is coming home in the east mix. A couple of times a month I have a tough time getting on there because people are going to slow. I will be trying to accelerate to get up to speed while watching behind to merge yet have to worry about someone who can’t get up to speed or isn’t going up to normal speed. The worst offenders are actually in the middle lane. They go 55-60 and you have to merge around them because they are going so far below the pace of traffic.

I tend to go on the faster side but I don’t like to shoot gaps. I also can’t stand the people here who don’t use proper following distance. I can’t tell you how often I’m just following someone and people cut over in front of me.

This is more just normal city drivers but downtown I have issues with the people who think they need to merge right away onto the ramps. There are backups as people try and slow down to get over right away when they have plenty of room to merge.

A couple times a month doesn't sound too excessive.

Right like I mentioned, those driving too aggressively and cut into the safe distance cause much more harmful accordion bunch-ups further back in traffic.

Not that it matters, but still trying to find what you disagreed with for that rating...

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
A couple times a month doesn't sound too excessive.

Right like I mentioned, those driving too aggressively and cut into the safe distance cause much more harmful accordion bunch-ups further back in traffic.

Not that it matters, but still trying to find what you disagreed with for that rating...
I don’t like super aggressive drivers but I still am of the opinion that slower people are more dangerous. Super aggressive people are at least generally paying attention to what they are doing even if they push it sometimes. They are still relatively close to what other drivers are doing. The super passive drivers in my experience are ignorant of their surroundings and far more dangerous.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I was getting onto 235 West at Valley West this morning and was stuck behind a car that merged onto the interstate going 45. There is absolutely NO reason to be going that slow.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I was getting onto 235 West at Valley West this morning and was stuck behind a car that merged onto the interstate going 45. There is absolutely NO reason to be going that slow.
Timid drivers trying to merge into rush hour traffic is the worst and is absolutely dangerous. Slower is not always safer in every situation. I see it all the time trying to merge on to I235 east bound on 31st St. Traffic in the merge lanes is terrible there because everyone is getting over to exit on MLK and Keo. I have seen multiple near accidents because someone slows way down because they dont know how to deal with the heavy traffic.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I **** with those people hard! People who are in a hurry to get to a red light entertain me endlessly and I tend to try to piss them off by legally hindering them. Not bragging or recommending.

Reactions: 06_CY

Help Support Us

Become a patron