Best choice for cord cutters

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Here is a vote for YouTube TV...been a user for 18 months and have zero complaints!
The only complaint I had is they blacked out a Sunday Night Football KC Chiefs game and put a soccer game on in its place. Super odd. But I really dig all the baseball you can watch on it right now.

Reactions: cyfanatic

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
$80 for Mediacoms 100 mbps.

Seems about right..

My issue with streaming is you'll want good internet and good internet is anywhere from $80-$100. Throw that in with a $50 streaming package and you're basically up there with what you'd pay for Mediacom/DirecTV/Dish.

I have Mediacom with 100 mbps and TiVo and I pay about $165 a month.

• Winner
Reactions: IASTATE4LIFE

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
We're on Sling. YouTube doesn't have A&E (gotta get my Live PD fix in sometimes) and the packages for what we wanted are cheaper than PS Vue.

Internet is Medicom 100 for $70/mo

Reactions: StormnClone58

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Seems about right..

My issue with streaming is you'll want good internet and good internet is anywhere from $80-$100. Throw that in with a $50 streaming package and you're basically up there with what you'd pay for Mediacom/DirecTV/Dish.

I have Mediacom with 100 mbps and TiVo and I pay about $165 a month.

My bundled internet and cable through DTV was over $200. Once you lose the intro rates you are S.O.L. Please Century Link only offered 8 mbps in my neighborhood...

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
My bundled internet and cable through DTV was over $200. Once you lose the intro rates you are S.O.L. Please Century Link only offered 8 mbps in my neighborhood...

Oh yeah, CenturyLink internet is horrible. I had them with DirecTV before switching to Mediacom a little over a year ago.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Ames. They offered it to me over the phone when I called about possibly switching to Mediacom from Centurylink. Took the offer and I've been streaming ever since.
Man, good for you!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Oh yeah, CenturyLink internet is horrible. I had them with DirecTV before switching to Mediacom a little over a year ago.

Yeah, they refuse to come back into established neighborhoods and lay fiber... I would drop my mediacom service down to 60 but I would definitely go over the monthly cap during football and basketball season.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
I cut the cord about 2 weeks ago. Went with Hulu Live, but after yesterdays issues I am a little worried. I will be really disappointed if that happens during an ISU game. I started looking at YouTube TV and Sling as a back up. Other than yesterday I have been happy. If its a common problem I will switch. At this point I am sticking with it for now.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I cut the cord about 2 weeks ago. Went with Hulu Live, but after yesterdays issues I am a little worried. I will be really disappointed if that happens during an ISU game. I started looking at YouTube TV and Sling as a back up. Other than yesterday I have been happy. If its a common problem I will switch. At this point I am sticking with it for now.

Agreed. The good thing tho, if hulu has issues during a game you can always watching via the espn for fox sports app.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I've got Mediacom 500 mbps for $60 a month as an intro rate. I think it goes up to 75 and then 90 in the next two years. I have family of four that use the internet a lot though. For streaming we do DTV Now, for I think $55 a month. They've been raising rates and cutting channels though. So far we've been grandfathered in, but one of these days we'll get a price bump at which time I'll look into PSVue, Hulu Live, or Youtube TV.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Agreed. The good thing tho, if hulu has issues during a game you can always watching via the espn for fox sports app.

I've been with Hulu Live for over a year and I've never watched live sports through the Hulu app. I always use the network specific app.

• Informative
Reactions: jdcyclone19

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I've been with Hulu Live for over a year and I've never watched live sports through the Hulu app. I always use the network specific app.

Interesting. Is there a reason or is that just because that how you've always done it? Just curious is all.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Interesting. Is there a reason or is that just because that how you've always done it? Just curious is all.

I've used a couple different streaming services and using network specific apps means I don't have to get used to a different UI when/if I switch services. Also, the network specific apps have been a better streaming experience for me when watching live sports.

• Informative
Reactions: jdcyclone19

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I tried Hulu live TV and it was pretty good, especially since I already had Hulu, so it was all in one bill that was pretty cheap. I had a big problem with ESPN channels on it though. I checked with Hulu and the problem was that my internet IP wasn't linked to where I was living for some reason, so it wouldn't show any of the ESPN channels for some reason. I went to PS Vue and am very happy with it. Another problem with Hulu live is it doesn't work with Android TV because Hulu doesn't have an update for Android. This is kind of silly to me since android is the OS for all Sony TVs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron