THT Going into the Draft

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
How many guys drafted in the late 1st/2nd round end up being franchise players anyways? A majority of the superstars and "cant miss" players are the lottery picks. The rest you are just filling your team in with guys who show some potential, most of who will wash out in the G-league in a couple years, I would rather have guys like Niang and Morris filling those role player slots.
If you are drafting late why not take a chance? Especially if you have role players that you are happy with already on the roster. Every team is different. You say "I would rather have" when you don't even know what your imaginary team needs.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
To me I think it's pretty clear. If he finds himself in the 20-30 range he probably made a smart choice. Anything past that, I think he should have rolled the dice on another year. He still would have had youth on his side next year with another year to put more consistent play on tape. But if he gets guaranteed money, that's hard to argue with.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Can we just acknowledge THT screwd the pooch on this decision? He's 18 y/o another year to develop could of elevated him to or near lottery status.

Before you pile on can someone list a few names that were projected near where Talen was back in April then chose to return to school so I can look back at this next June and LMAO.

No.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Can we just acknowledge THT screwd the pooch on this decision? He's 18 y/o another year to develop could of elevated him to or near lottery status.

Before you pile on can someone list a few names that were projected near where Talen was back in April then chose to return to school so I can look back at this next June and LMAO.
There are 14 lottery teams, and if you are saying he could be near that as in something like 16,18, is it worth the risk if most projections have him from 25-38?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's funny how many people are wondering how a certain someone doesn't get how the NBA draft works, when all you have to do is look at their username.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Just because we dont agree with and think its a joke how the the NBA drafts doesnt mean we dont understand it. The NFL is the same way, at the end of the day give me someone who has proven they can actually play football well in the highest conferences against the best competition. You guys can have the backup corner from Abilene Chirstian who runs the cone drill well.

Do you like specialize in anything sports related or are you just clueless across the board?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Holy ****, guys. What is everyone looking for here? It seems as though those who don't feel THT should have left want him to slip so they can say "I told you so". The paint is dry, he is gone, why are we still ripping his decision? It literally will not change anything, and only make you more annoyed one way or the other.
Not to mention the higher Talen goes the more Prohm can sell it to recruits.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Monte was a big reason we got Bolton as a recruit. Some guys have Cardinal and Gold blood, some guys don't.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Or he could have gotten injured and not be able to get the chance to play in the NBA. There is no guarantee he would have improved his stock by coming back.
If he doesn't get much in guaranteed money an injury will derail his career the same, whether he is in college or not.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee

Ask Wigginton about that one. He made the "right" decision to come back after being projected 2nd round and got hurt; lost 30% of his season and starting role, now nowhere to be found on the draft boards.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Ask Wigginton about that one. He made the "right" decision to come back after being projected 2nd round and got hurt; lost 30% of his season and starting role, now nowhere to be found on the draft boards.
Well, Morris came back for his senior year and got drafted. Had he declared early, he was not getting drafted.

Jarrett Culver might have been a 2nd round pick last year. He came back and will now be a lottery pick.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I’ve heard Sacramento is really interested in him at 40. Poor organization but at least is a nice young roster.

They are much better than they used to be.

At least they know how the salary cap works, unlike the LOLakers.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Doc