ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Then what was it? You seem to have all of the answers and your matter of fact tone on an individual that you've never met is very impressive.

Did you ever finish your thought on medical professionals not needing licensing, because the medical companies wouldn't try to cut corners? Or were you too busy complaining that large companies were ruining the appraisal business with computer algorithms, because they were cutting corners?

I'm against licensing in almost all instances. They are against the idea's of a free market and only cause quality to degrade and prices to increase.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Intelligence has been increasing with every generation. The fact that IA school rankings dropped from one generation to the next means we didn't increase as quickly as some others, not that things are getting worse.

James Flynn's TED Talk is one of the best of them...

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Intelligence has been increasing with every generation. The fact that IA school rankings dropped from one generation to the next means we didn't increase as quickly as some others, not that things are getting worse.

Intelligence levels peaked several decades ago. We had this discussion in another thread as well.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Saw this article on BBC. I thought it was relevant HIV outbreak in Pakistan caused in part by unqualified healthcare workers passing themselves off as doctors. Hundreds of children infected with HIV.

"I think the (Aids) virus was being carried by members of the high-risk group (transgender and female sex workers) and then lax practices by local quacks caused it to infect other patients," he told the BBC.

By "quack" he is referring to under-qualified people practising medicine, ranging from paramedics running a private clinic posing as doctors, to medical graduates who have been unable to find work in hospitals and have no exposure to standard medical practices.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48348941

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I'm against licensing in almost all instances. They are against the idea's of a free market and only cause quality to degrade and prices to increase.
I like it when you make arguments for Libertarian positions like this, because most will see them for the hooey they are.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Intelligence levels peaked several decades ago. We had this discussion in another thread as well.
The peak must have arrived about the time you came of age. It's no wonder you know so much about so many things.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The greatest period of growth in American history (roughly between 1880 and 1910) occurred when roughly 5% of the population had a high school degree.

Underlying technology and productivity changes are ultimately much more influential. You do not need much book learning to go from an ox team to driving a tractor.

What I'm getting at is I'm not seeing a correlation between teachers getting certifications and SAT scores, or the impact on the economy.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

I would argue that in life safety instances, or cases were external costs aren't captured, that they are very necesary; both of which are extremely difficult to quantify.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
What I'm getting at is I'm not seeing a correlation between teachers getting certifications and SAT scores, or the impact on the economy.

True enough -- something as minor in the GRAND scheme of the U.S. economy, which is bordering on $20 trillion in GDP, as how and why and when teachers receive certain types of certification probably does not affect things very much versus a million other factors.

I doubt it would be detectable/significant in any reasonable model. :)

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Just because I find this interesting and this is a pretty good article on the topic. Looks like most western countries are declining but not the USA, yet. Personally I don't think we saw significant changes in intelligence but really just statistical changes. What they are likely measuring are changes in the total population (and the Bell Curves) with fewer people having poor nutrition and generally wide spread education (great or not). I would hypothesize that the Bell Curves just narrowed and the lower end disappeared because more people reached their real genetic potentials.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...-developed-countries-doesn-t-bode-ncna1008576

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Just because I find this interesting
First on topic, I have teachers a plenty throughout my family and I don't hear, versus income to credentials, as this being any worse than many fields of expertise.

Second, wether this is pertinent to your posted article or not, I have read of these connections not noted in the article that I could see:

1) Natural stimulation by exposure and interaction with nature.
2) Exposure to modern environs high in noise, toxins and lower in nutrients.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
First on topic, I have teachers a plenty throughout my family and I don't hear, versus income to credentials, as this being any worse than many fields of expertise.

Second, wether this is pertinent to your posted article or not, I have read of these connections not noted in the article that I could see:

1) Natural stimulation by exposure and interaction with nature.
2) Exposure to modern environs high in noise, toxins and lower in nutrients

I'm currently picking away at the Nature Fix and there's something to this.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's that time of year / every other year that I had to submit the renewal. This is not chump change as it cost just about $1,000 between the state fee and class costs. So that is about $500 / year. And that does Not include travel expenses to any classes or opportunity cost for lost time doing paid work.