When will you be able to retire?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I feel for you, but...

How did you lose your retirement? Unless you were invested in something highly speculative, the stock market losses should only be on paper and recovered by now?

And your wife got some horrible advice. When you're young is the MOST IMPORTANT time to save because that money has more time to grow.

Retiring wealthy is super simple. Invest as much as you can as early as you can - rinse and repeat.

Super simple but not easy.

The best times in your life to make bad financial decisions is as early as possible so you can learn from your mistakes. You can recover from buying/leasing new cars, huge houses, etc... if you understand the time value of money and set to putting money away.

My only advice to youngins, put SOMETHING away each month. Don't fret about the right or wrong investment vehicle at first - just get into the habit of paying yourself first even if it's a pittance.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Assuming you have insurance through work, are you including what your employer pays, or just your cost? In my case my employer pays everything and it comes out to around $15,000 a year per employee. This if for a high deductible HSA type plan so there is few more thousand out of pocket before the insurance starts. If you start thinking about retiring early on $50-$60K a year, $15-$20K is a significant chunk of money.

I'll echo that... I pay $200/month for wife and I with the company picking up the biggest share. When I retire (eligible in a matter of DAYS!!!) I'll pay closer to $2,000/month as I will have switched to the retiree medical plan at my company.

Different risk pools, different company contributions, could (will in my case) significantly increase your burden.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Retiring wealthy is super simple. Invest as much as you can as early as you can - rinse and repeat.

Super simple but not easy.

The best times in your life to make bad financial decisions is as early as possible so you can learn from your mistakes. You can recover from buying/leasing new cars, huge houses, etc... if you understand the time value of money and set to putting money away.

My only advice to youngins, put SOMETHING away each month. Don't fret about the right or wrong investment vehicle at first - just get into the habit of paying yourself first even if it's a pittance.
A lot of people just don't understand the time value of money. I was helping a 20-something in our office setup her 401k. She just wanted to put in 1%. I said at least take all the free money (50% match up to 6%).

I said,"Based on your current salary, growth rate of 8%, what do you think that will be worth in 30 years?"

"I don't know. 30 grand?"

"About 500 grand. And that's assuming you never get a raise."

(Eyes pop out of head.)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That sounds ******* fantastic!

I’m 38 and that’s what I do now. My most annoying moments are when I have to get up and do something. I can’t focus on playing Cookie Jam when I’m driving or at a restaurant or at some other thing like an event.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
A lot of people just don't understand the time value of money. I was helping a 20-something in our office setup her 401k. She just wanted to put in 1%. I said at least take all the free money (50% match up to 6%).

I said,"Based on your current salary, growth rate of 8%, what do you think that will be worth in 30 years?"

(Eyes pop out of head.)

These are the parts where I try to explain a worst case scenario. Drop 6% in, they match 50% for 3 %. Now quarterly or whenever take out 5 of the 6% you put in. You get a 10% penalty so you lose 1/2% of the money but that 1/2% got you 2 1/2% in your retirement fund. You are way ahead.

As long as you are vested.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
These are the parts where I try to explain a worst case scenario. Drop 6% in, they match 50% for 3 %. Now quarterly or whenever take out 5 of the 6% you put in. You get a 10% penalty so you lose 1/2% of the money but that 1/2% got you 2 1/2% in your retirement fund. You are way ahead.

that's a really good way to frame it if it's someone who really can't afford to put that much in. Do it short term and take the penalty. I wouldn't have thought of doing that. Still may not be feasible for those on a really tight budget but an option on the table. Always try to encourage people to at least put in up to the match. Free money. Well, not actually. It's factored in as part of your benefits package.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

(Eyes pop out of head.)

Do you drop the "that 500k is only going to be worth about 250k due to inflation" after that? :)

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

I'd quibble that one shouldn't look to their retirement assets as short-term loan options but the math seems to work.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Need a little help here, my question is basically simple, at what age do you plan to retire. I reached my 30 years in IPERS this year, and I can hit my rule of 88 in November. Looking at my last IPERS statement I will bring in $2,830 a month being retired after I hit my rule of 88.
I love my current job and plan to work another 4 years, today I received a call about an interview for a teaching job in Missouri for next year. The pay would be a lot less than what I currently receive, but if I can retire in Iowa, and get the job in Missouri, I would be clearing roughly $13,000 more per year.

My wife and daughter are totally against me switching jobs, they keep telling me stay in the job you love and ride it out there for anther four years and then retire. I keep looking at the difference in pay and if the job is offered, to move and take the chance. I need to get my ducks in a row, and will be calling IPERS tomorrow.

Basically what are peoples opinion one way or another?
I expect to die while typing in a powershell window.

• Winner
Reactions: huntt26

cykee05

Jul 21, 2017
Glad it worked for you, but I will say you are probably more of an exception. I see the first year of a CC as fine if it’s a HS type thing. I just see too many that don’t have the savings. I ran quick numbers for what my kids would see. With them being roughly 40 miles away, they would probably have to stay there. If they don’t have a hiccup anywhere they would save. Now if they have the same hiccup that most of the kids going to CC have that graduate from their school, that adds another semester and destroys all cost savings.

If they start at the four year right away, if they have a small hiccup, ISU generally is willing to work with them to stay on course.
I think we are mostly on the same page. If you stick to your plan, it can work. Any diversion can diminish savings opportunities.
Undervalued, in my opinion, is coming from a small school and the transition to college. Class sizes are smaller at CC for most electives and freshman/soph level courses and can make leaving the security of home less intimidating.

Reactions: BCClone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The whole car and savings question should always be answered it depends. Anyone that claims to have the single answer is full of ****. For example I bought my new car for $17k. A comparable vehicle with significant mileage and age was around $12k. Now if you are buying a $40k car that a couple year old version has a steeper drop then maybe used is worth it.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Let me think about this. Lost my retirement in the Great Recession. Scrambling to make that up.

Wife was told she was "too young" to worry about saving for retirement about 20 years ago....and just now saving.

Having a baby in my late 40s.

Never. I'm never going to retire.

Question - How did you lose your retirement? Did you have a pension, if so no other investments? S&P 500 and DOW are both roughly double their peak in 2007 and 4x their lows in 2009. I often hear this said and don't understand the logistics.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy and Bobber

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
How do people figure out their retirement numbers? I have used a couple of different online tools, but they provide me with vastly different answers.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'd quibble that one shouldn't look to their retirement assets as short-term loan options but the math seems to work.

I agree. I was putting forward for someone who says, I need that money and can’t afford to do it. It becomes a lot easier if they also tell you they get a tax refund and especially if it’s similar is size. Pay less in for taxes than you do and put it in retirement. Then at end of the year, you take out the extra funds that you put in but you have the match.

I would double check on it on a case by case basis. Some may have odd vesting. I was always 100% vested on the contribution.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY