Early Thoughts On Next Season?

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
What does everyone think about next season and how this squad will look? I think Nixon is the real deal, and I think THT and Wigginton are back. That, combined with a healthy Solomon Young (it was clear that not having him on defense was rough and hurt). I think we have a starting lineup of Nixon, Wigginton, THT, Jacobson, Young with Halliburton and Lard being the first guys off the bench. Lard was all over the place, but if last night was an indicator of how he’s going to play, he will be a starter for us before the end of the year. I think we are looking at a team that’s a little better than this year and it could be a fun ride for us fans starting in November. I’m intrigued with Anderson, as I think he’s got a high basketball IQ, and hopefully guys like Conditt and Griffin make strides and see more minutes. I think Lewis transfers out as well.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
It really depends on who comes back. If Lindell, THT and lard are gone we are looking at possibly being the worst team in the big 12

Depends who they can add on transfer market to replace those guys if they leave. If they get Brase and Beverly level players, yes they’re a bottom 3 team.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Hopefully we have a healthy Solomon next year. Despite the shenanigans, Lard seems to be on the right path, so we should have some size next year.

Expecting a lot from MJ next year in terms of leadership and play.

I think THT will be back; he's not ready yet, and a couple of his performances in March didn't help him. Wigginton, who knows.

Excited to see how Tyrese and George develop.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Lard. Young. Jacobson. Conditt. Anderson.

No way all 5 are at ISU next fall the way Prohm plays big men.

We need to build around Conditt. He has the highest upside. To me, Jacobson, Lard and Solo are all similar players with slight differences so I see your point of only needing 1 or 2.

Anderson is still in HS and brings a little different skill set so I don’t see him affecting the others you mentioned.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I’m very nervous to see how next year will shape up. Will be interesting to see who stays and who comes back. Has Talen hurt his first round chances the last few games? Is Wigginton dead set on pursuing professional basketball? Can Lard stay out of trouble?

• Winner
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I hope that we at least have the option of some sets that have two bigs on the court at the same time. We will have a lot of talent sitting on the bench otherwise. This would be especially the case if THT does not come back because Haliburton, Wiggy and Nixon can't really guard a 4 the way that Nick, Marial and THT could this year.

There are too many variables in terms of who comes back or not, in terms of the guards.

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I'm not super enthusiastic really.

Basing this off the results with our roster this year while not being bit by the injury bug late season as so often happens with us.

I haven't followed the recruiting too much and there's waaaay too many variables in who will be back right now. Even if we got everyone back that isn't graduating I wouldn't be super pumped tbh.

I mean we could definitely have a "successful" season (like this season) but this one felt like it could have been special and it just wasn't.

• Agree
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I don’t know what to expect out of Nixon. I’m hoping a better version of D Jax that buys into the team mentality

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
What does everyone think about next season and how this squad will look? I think Nixon is the real deal, and I think THT and Wigginton are back. That, combined with a healthy Solomon Young (it was clear that not having him on defense was rough and hurt). I think we have a starting lineup of Nixon, Wigginton, THT, Jacobson, Young with Halliburton and Lard being the first guys off the bench. Lard was all over the place, but if last night was an indicator of how he’s going to play, he will be a starter for us before the end of the year. I think we are looking at a team that’s a little better than this year and it could be a fun ride for us fans starting in November. I’m intrigued with Anderson, as I think he’s got a high basketball IQ, and hopefully guys like Conditt and Griffin make strides and see more minutes. I think Lewis transfers out as well.

I am one of the most optimistic fans out there but there is a zero percent chance everyone is back next year. Zero. If someone set the over under of players leaving at 3 I’d take the over without any hesitation.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Looking ahead to next year can be a fun exercise this time of year- but I will hold off on getting excited about the possibilities until the roster is firm in May/June.

If I was going to take a stab at it today, I would go with:

Haliburton
Wigginton
Talen Horton-Tucker
Jacobson
Lard

Nixon would play 25-30 mpg at guard and Conditt/Young would come off the bench in the post. The reality is I could see the 4 post guys each play around 20mpg.

That line up would get me seriously excited except for two things:
  1. I am only confident that Halliburton and Conditt are coming back.
  2. The same roster flaws we saw this year, could still exist next season.
IMO the bigger issue than the roster, is for the coaching staff to step back and evaluate are they building a team that can win Big 12 regular season championships and make deep runs in the NCAA Tournament. I will borrow a couple concepts from our football coach- "the process" and "details".

Lastly, an opening at Alabama would make me very nervous. Prohm said all the right things before ISU's game, but I would be hard pressed to believe that Bama won't take a long look at Steve Prohm. He is a proven winner, prior relationships at Bama and a great guy.

ISU looking for a new coach in basketball doesn't scare me because I think would would attract a ton of interest, but would have a huge impact on the roster.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
First off, it would be best for everyone on this team to come back next year. If an NBA team drafts Wiggs or THT after the years they've had, then I just don't even understand what NBA GM's are thinking?

Next thing is.... Luke Anderson will not be fighting for time with the likes of Lard, Solo, or Conditt IMO. From watching his videos, Anderson will play mostly on the wing (perimeter). I do not see him getting much time at all next year, but he can shoot, so you never know.

If we only lose Shayok, Babb, and Talley.... I think we'll actually be better next year. And that's even if the likes of Lewis and/or Griffin decide to transfer.... I have no idea what their situation is? Griffin wasn't even getting minutes in garbage time at the end of the season, so I have no idea what the future holds for him?

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
I can’t see either tucker or wigginton in the nba, ever. I see at least one of them gone- where to no clue, but too many voices in their head to stay. No info, just what I see and feel, addition by subtraction.
Who knows on lard, but without leadership he will never make it. His inability to play defense with his feet is lazy and stubborn coupled with being overly emotional are things keeping him from being very very good. Too much drama.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
First off, it would be best for everyone on this team to come back next year. If an NBA team drafts Wiggs or THT after the years they've had, then I just don't even understand what NBA GM's are thinking?

Next thing is.... Luke Anderson will not be fighting for time with the likes of Lard, Solo, or Conditt IMO. From watching his videos, Anderson will play mostly on the wing (perimeter). I do not see him getting much time at all next year, but he can shoot, so you never know.

If we only lose Shayok, Babb, and Talley.... I think we'll actually be better next year. And that's even if the likes of Lewis and/or Griffin decide to transfer.... I have no idea what their situation is? Griffin wasn't even getting minutes in garbage time at the end of the season, so I have no idea what the future holds for him?

I hope consort eats 10k calories a day and adds significant muscle. I’d like to see development on our team from our coaches too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron