Non-5 Second Call

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

PAClone

Oct 25, 2014
After seeing a replay of the out of bounds timeout call, I’m beyond frustrated. The ref clearly counts out 5 before the timeout. That’s not just a usual college ref mistake. That’s intentional. That is a ref deciding on his own he is not letting ISU have a reasonable shot at the winning bucket. I realize mistakes get made and that they are human, but this was no mistake.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The refs were awful, and besides the bad out of bounds calls and the obvious steal for the run out they let OSU get away with dozens of blatant moving screens. Wesson was like a pulling guard out there.

In the end the fault goes on guys that just can't seem to make open shots or have wild turnovers trying to make a play that isn't there. There are a lot of young guys playing, so things could be better next year. Need to find a scorer somewhere.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The refs were awful, and besides the bad out of bounds calls and the obvious steal for the run out they let OSU get away with dozens of blatant moving screens. Wesson was like a pulling guard out there.

In the end the fault goes on guys that just can't seem to make open shots or have wild turnovers trying to make a play that isn't there. There are a lot of young guys playing, so things could be better next year. Need to find a scorer somewhere.

It’s really imperative we get more shooters on the roster.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
I’m not one that typically blames refs after losses but this game was played 5 on 8. Not only was it blatantly one sided but the style of play allowed clearly favored a less talented and more physical Ohio state. They refused to call contact when our guards drove and not send a great free throw team to the line. That’s a big portion of our offense. You can rail on THT all you want but when a finesse player is hacked to bits on every drive and fouls are not called it’s a huge advantage to the hacker. This was a poor game visually and win or lose it was not fun to watch. The refs should never officiate again. I can’t ever remember watching a game where neither team was in the 2x bonus at the end. Just an awful job by the refs and it appears it was designed to be that style of game.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
Just like the phantom kick that was all but going to guarantee a layup for us.
I’ve never understood the kicked ball rule in general. Why is it a rule? To me the rule rewards the offense for a bad pass and penalizes the defense for good defense. Are they afraid a soccer game is going to break out? I’ve always hated the rule. Get rid of it.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
That was pretty bad. Of course, we'll never know what will happen if we got the 5 second call with the ball. The ref though should not have called timeout after his arm went out for the 5th time. Nearly a second passes after the 5 count and then he calls TO. Unfortunately we'll never know what could have happened if he would have actually correctly called it.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
In real time I wasn't sure. On the replay I got pissed. That wasn't even close.

Same. I gave the ref the benefit of the doubt that they would not actually screw that up considering they were the ones counting. On replay it's not even close. Some people were arguing that it was verbal. Ref wasn't looking at the player though, and only called it after the player clearly turned to the ref, crossed his arms over the ball for the visual TO.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I’ve never understood the kicked ball rule in general. Why is it a rule? To me the rule rewards the offense for a bad pass and penalizes the defense for good defense. Are they afraid a soccer game is going to break out? I’ve always hated the rule. Get rid of it.

Agreed. If there is a loose ball a teammate should be able to kick it to another teammate.

• Funny
Reactions: Shawker

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I was talking about the kick. But I had the same reaction on the OOB

I guess it would help if I read what you were responding to :) But yes, that was terrible too. I also gave the ref the benefit of the doubt on that. Not sure how you miss it though right infront of you..

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I challenge all of you who DVR'd the game to pullout your smartphone and time it. I got 5.5 from the time the ref blows the whistle until the OSU player motions for a timeout, 5.8 seconds in between the 2 whistles.

• Funny
Reactions: benjimill