Lasik vision correction

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I am thinking about getting Lasik. I know Wolfe Eye Clinic is good, but I have a feeling they are quite a bit more expensive than other places. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best place to go?

billpickles

Apr 11, 2006
Had mine done at Wolfe about 12 years ago. Vision now 20/15. They were expensive, but I didn't really shop around. Knew their reputation and didn't want to take chances on my eyes. No regrets.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I am thinking about getting Lasik. I know Wolfe Eye Clinic is good, but I have a feeling they are quite a bit more expensive than other places. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best place to go?

I had mine the day we lost to Iowa and broke the five year streak. September 2003. I had it done at Lasik vision Institute in Eagen, MN. I think they may have one in des Moines.

They own the machine, but "rent" the doctors. These doctors fly around and do them. I had it done on Saturday and on Sunday had a check up and went home after that. Had 2-3 more checkups later. Had to have one eye touched up which wasn't dialed in exactly right, no cost.

Here is the kicker with them, if you have patience, they are negotiable. I was a -9.0 level correction (needed higher level type stuff). Was quoted to be around 1200/eye to have it done. I chatted with them and they came down to 2000 total. I told them that it was too close to harvest and I would wait.......unless they could do it for half price. I got a phone call back a couple days later and was told, if you can do it the month of September we will do it for 499/eye. I did it then

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I had mine the day we lost to Iowa and broke the five year streak. September 2003. I had it done at Lasik vision Institute in Eagen, MN. I think they may have one in des Moines.

They own the machine, but "rent" the doctors. These doctors fly around and do them. I had it done on Saturday and on Sunday had a check up and went home after that. Had 2-3 more checkups later. Had to have one eye touched up which wasn't dialed in exactly right, no cost.

Here is the kicker with them, if you have patience, they are negotiable. I was a -9.0 level correction (needed higher level type stuff). Was quoted to be around 1200/eye to have it done. I chatted with them and they came down to 2000 total. I told them that it was too close to harvest and I would wait.......unless they could do it for half price. I got a phone call back a couple days later and was told, if you can do it the month of September we will do it for 499/eye. I did it then

latest

Hi everybody!!!

cykee05

Jul 21, 2017
Had mine done at Wolfe about 12 years ago. Vision now 20/15. They were expensive, but I didn't really shop around. Knew their reputation and didn't want to take chances on my eyes. No regrets.
Also had mine done at Wolfe about 8 years ago and went their for the same reasons, didn't want to go cheap on my eyes. Best money I have spent.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Had it done in 1999 at Wolfe in CR. My primary eye doctor was very comfortable with them and their history to that point. While other providers were newer and less proven then. I guess I would go with the best when you're talking about vision.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Had mine done about 20 years ago - best decision of my life although I'm back in glasses the last 5 years (aging) but I was 20/15 for well over a decade.

Do NOT choose a laser eye surgeon based on price! Choose the practice that has been doing them for years and years.

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Will say my doctor had done 60,000 surgeries when he had done mine, so I wasn't using a fly by night guy.

EDIT: This was big part of why I chose the Eagen location. The doctor they used performed surgeries in MN, WI and Phoenix (my BIL, who lives in PHX, had recommended them to me and it was the same doctor he had used several years earlier). I figured those locations would have more surgeries than anything in Iowa would, so more experienced.

Last edited:

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
I have always gone to Wolfe for my eye check ups, but had my lasik done at LasikPlus in Des Moines. My surgeon had done more procedures and they used the same technology as Wolfe. There was just no reason to pay the extra cost. As others have said, getting lasik was one of the best decisions I've made.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Bocy

Nov 27, 2016
Central IA
I will echo the previous comments (I would assume due to everyone else being lifelong glasses/contact wearers like I was at the time) -- best money ever spent.

It was the first thing I saved up for once I started my career after college, and it was well worth it. I had mine done in 2003 at Dr. Husein in DSM. 20/20 ever since.

If I were to ever need it again, (if it's physically possible to have it done twice) I would do it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: oldman

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Some of the places will charge more but say they will give you lifetime enhancements (basically if you would ever need to have it done again its no cost). Mine promised 20/20 (I was 20/13 when all said and done) when it was over so that is why I received the one touch up for no cost.

My opinion is that it is a waste of money. What they charge for this extra is about 50% more. Once your lens is cut, it will forever be so that step is not needed again. Besides the time value of the money would pay for itself. Last, I've only ever known one person who had to have an enhancement done. So I would say this is a way to save money. Tell them to just get you to the 20/20 level and then you will worry about the future.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Another thing about Lasik. Depending on your age they might try to sell you on monovision. That means one eye is for seeing far away and the other eye for reading.
They claim your brain figures out which eye to use.
If you get monovision it is possible to have the reading eye cut again for seeing far and then just using reading glasses.

I had monovision and absolutely hated it from day one. They can't recut it for 3-4 months so they claim you can get used to it but I never did. If I drove at night I got to the point where I would have to cover my reading eye with my hand when approaching a car at night coming towards me. I was so happy to go back in after 3-4 months and get my eye recut.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I will echo the previous comments (I would assume due to everyone else being lifelong glasses/contact wearers like I was at the time) -- best money ever spent.

It was the first thing I saved up for once I started my career after college, and it was well worth it. I had mine done in 2003 at Dr. Husein in DSM. 20/20 ever since.

If I were to ever need it again, (if it's physically possible to have it done twice) I would do it in a heartbeat.
My mom worked for Dr Husein as a nurse for many years. Never had a bad word to say about him. I believe he is around $2,000 an eye.

KcCyclone77

Sep 21, 2017
Scheduled to get mine done at Lasik Plus here in KC at the end of the month. I have a few coworkers that had their done at the Lasik Plus in DSM, they agreed that it was well worth it. Not sure what Wolfe is charging, but I was quoted $3,800 for their lifetime plan. And they have a referral program.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
What were some of your correction strengths before you got Lasik? I would love to get it done but my correction is only -2.5 so it's not terrible. I feel like if I was -4.0 or worse it would definitely be worth the money.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Jealous of all these LASIK stories. I have such a severe astigmatism that they still can’t repair me. It’s only been two years since they came out with a soft daily contact powerful enough to get me to 20/30 so I can use them for sports well enough.

• Funny
Reactions: veteran4cy

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
What were some of your correction strengths before you got Lasik? I would love to get it done but my correction is only -2.5 so it's not terrible. I feel like if I was -4.0 or worse it would definitely be worth the money.
I think I was -8

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron