Hinterland 2019

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
So it sounds like an announcement may be coming today on acts for now the 3 day festival.... Super excited to see where this goes! Any guesses on who? I am thinking Gary Clark JR back as a headliner for one night, I also feel like Vampire Weekend potentials, I have no source just feelings so far!

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
So it sounds like an announcement may be coming today on acts for now the 3 day festival.... Super excited to see where this goes! Any guesses on who? I am thinking Gary Clark JR back as a headliner for one night, I also feel like Vampire Weekend potentials, I have no source just feelings so far!
I'm hoping for Gary and Jason Isbell but haven't heard much about who they might get. Excited for the announcement!

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
I was at Hinterland when it was first in St. Charles. Amazing lineup then: St. Paul and the Broken Bones, Ed Sharpe, Yonder Mountain, and the Envy Corps. Going to be hard to top that one...

• Friendly

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm going with Gary Clark Jr. or Ryan Adams for return headliners. Both have new music out this year.

Three new albums coming from Ryan Adams this year. I'm holding out hope for Alabama Shakes. And I recall from a radio interview last year that Sam Summers' ultimate goal is to get Neil Young as a headliner for the festival someday. That would be pretty cool.

• Friendly

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't get it.

This whole scene is like

Guy 1: you’ve got to hear this new band that nobody knows about the live show is so great too

Guy 2: everyone knows about them. They are playing at Hinterland not the Hull Ave Tavern

Make sense? This is mainstream music but the fans of it think it is like some small knit scene that no ones knows about outside of a select few.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
This whole scene is like

Guy 1: you’ve got to hear this new band that nobody knows about the live show is so great too

Guy 2: everyone knows about them. They are playing at Hinterland not the Hull Ave Tavern

Make sense? This is mainstream music but the fans of it think it is like some small knit scene that no ones knows about outside of a select few.
You mad bro?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
This whole scene is like

What's your definition of mainstream music?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This whole scene is like

OK, but I'm looking at the posts in this thread and I'm not seeing a single example of what you're describing. I'm seeing people stating who they hope to see play there. I'm not speaking for anyone else here, but I just named a couple acts I'd like to see. Whether someone else thinks of them as mainstream or underground means **** to me.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
This whole scene is like

The average person, people who only listen to what they hear on their local radio, doesn't know much about a lot of the bands that play at Hinterland. People who go out of their way to prove how cool they are because they listen to music most people haven't heard of are definitely annoying. You've made it perfectly clear how you feel about it at this point so is it ok if we talk about the festival without you reminding us every few posts?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm going with Gary Clark Jr. or Ryan Adams for return headliners. Both have new music out this year.

This is what I'm thinking, too. I wouldn't be hugely surprised by Chris Stapleton, as he's touring this year - but he might have become too big. I see that Band of Horses is going to be at Hoyt Sherman, so I think that likely rules them out for returning.

I was at Hinterland when it was first in St. Charles. Amazing lineup then: St. Paul and the Broken Bones, Ed Sharpe, Yonder Mountain, and the Envy Corps. Going to be hard to top that one...

I keep hoping and hoping that St Paul and the Broken Bones will come back. <3

Three new albums coming from Ryan Adams this year. I'm holding out hope for Alabama Shakes. And I recall from a radio interview last year that Sam Summers' ultimate goal is to get Neil Young as a headliner for the festival someday. That would be pretty cool.

I would love Alabama Shakes. But I fear that they're too big - they've done mostly European shows lately, and a few huge festivals. But they'd be amazing!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is what I'm thinking, too. I wouldn't be hugely surprised by Chris Stapleton, as he's touring this year - but he might have become too big. I see that Band of Horses is going to be at Hoyt Sherman, so I think that likely rules them out for returning.

I would love Alabama Shakes. But I fear that they're too big - they've done mostly European shows lately, and a few huge festivals. But they'd be amazing!

Great now I'm disappointed in anything less than Neil Young.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: Angie and discydisc

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I don't know. I guess I'd put them in the same class as Sturgill Simpson or Ryan Adams, but maybe they're bigger than I realize. I do know it's been a while since they've toured or released a new album so it's probably just wishful thinking.

I missed the first year of the festival so I'd be thrilled to see St. Paul and the Broken Bones come back through. Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats were a blast last year and I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real would be a fun get, too.

• Friendly

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron