Bowen Born

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
He's gong to hit by the size bug. He's a hell of. baller and has the physical skills to play high level D1 basketball. Problem is he's closer to 5'6 than 5'11 which will limit his options. If Shaq was 6'7 his options would have been more limited as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Clayton's (i thought we're supposed to call him Clangdon) is a really solid player, no one will deny that. He just wasn't a B12 player. Eikmeier, Cory Johnson (a lot of people forget about him), Eric McKnight weren't either. That's not disrespecting any of them.
Since I'll stay off topic, one guy who I thought could have stuck in the B12 was Tasheed Carr. I liked his game a lot.

The phrase "not a Big 12 player" is a bit haunting given the success elsewhere of some of those who have received the designation.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
The phrase "not a Big 12 player" is a bit haunting given the success elsewhere of some of those who have received the designation.

Not sure it’s accurate here, either. My recollection is that, per the staff, Clayton was killing it until he got mono, and he never really got back up to speed that year. That, combined with who was in front of him for minutes (Monte, Naz, Matt, etc), is what lead to the transfer. There may have been more to it, but that’s what I remember.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It can be a bit haunting but we aren’t saying that about guys that transferred to other schools that had the body to be here. We knew Justin Hamilton and Wes Johnson would be really good at their other schools, that’s why a lot of us were upset.
Hell, Cam sometimes reminds me of Dendy, who I though could have made it here but he needed to hit reset mentally.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Always been a Drake fan as I grew up in Des Moines. Really like their new coach and believe he's there for the long haul. Born is exactly the type of kid that can make the Bulldogs contenders in the Valley.

Honestly I think the kid could be an impact rotation guy for us but I'd Irather see him lead Drake as Prohm has shown he can find big time talent.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I guess it remains to be seen if we play drake and UNI, but this is the type of kid that if he goes to one of those schools will go off and everyone will wonder why we didn’t offer. Zero ties to him or Norwalk but have seen him play a couple times and I think he’s the real deal. Would love to see him land at Drake if ISU doesn’t offer

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He's Makai Mason. Sign him up as a PFO, otherwise offer him a scholly. We only play 7-8 normally, so if you think about it, we really don't "use" 3-4 scholarships every year. Decent enough practice material, and if he has the right mental makeup, could provide spot minutes as well.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Clayton's (i thought we're supposed to call him Clangdon) is a really solid player, no one will deny that. He just wasn't a B12 player. Eikmeier, Cory Johnson (a lot of people forget about him), Eric McKnight weren't either. That's not disrespecting any of them.
Since I'll stay off topic, one guy who I thought could have stuck in the B12 was Tasheed Carr. I liked his game a lot.
Custer could have been a fine player. M as ybe never a starter, nit he would have been okay off the bench as an upper classmen.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Always been a Drake fan as I grew up in Des Moines. Really like their new coach and believe he's there for the long haul. Born is exactly the type of kid that can make the Bulldogs contenders in the Valley.

Honestly I think the kid could be an impact rotation guy for us but I'd Irather see him lead Drake as Prohm has shown he can find big time talent.
Devries will want to be there too. He was the perfect hire.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
He's Makai Mason. Sign him up as a PFO, otherwise offer him a scholly. We only play 7-8 normally, so if you think about it, we really don't "use" 3-4 scholarships every year. Decent enough practice material, and if he has the right mental makeup, could provide spot minutes as well.

This is exactly what I was thinking!! Players 9-13 hardly play anyway so why not offer him, great kid, and if he happens to develop into a high Major contributor eventually then icing on the cake. He’s too good to accept a walk-on, in my opinion. Just watch..he’ll be a star at Creighton in 3years. But I know, it’s like every recruit in the big 12 has to be 6’3 plus these days.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
He looks like a really good player but unfortunately there are hundreds if not thousands of kids out there that are really good 5-10 guards. At that size giu have to be really special athletically or really special with your ball skills and I just don’t see that here.

Our high school has had 3 players go through in the last decade very similar to this guy and they went the D2 route or the MVC and had nice careers there. It just takes a really special guard to make it at the D1 level IMO.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
https://247sports.com/Player/Bowen-Born-46057912/
Exploded for 47 tonight. He is averaging 25 PPG, and 4 assists per game as well. Why has this kid not got an ISU offer yet? There is not a Coach in America I trust more than Prohm when it comes to evaluating PG talent. But from everything I have seen Born has all the tools to be a dominate College PG. He is on the shorter side "5'11" but has good quickness, above average athleticism, nice vertical, solid passer, nice ball control, a slew of floaters and shots he can get off against bigs, and is a deadly shooter from 3 point range. What does he need to do to get an offer from ISU? Does he need to beat Foster and Osky again in the State Championship? Or simply grow a few inches? ISU is in on a bunch of 4 Star PG's at the moment but Born is way better than his UNI, and Drake offers.

If an instate kid isn't good enough to get an offer from the Hawks, he ain't good enough.

yez

Feb 17, 2010
Austin, Texas
Exploded for 47 tonight. He is averaging 25 PPG, and 4 assists per game as well. Why has this kid not got an ISU offer yet? There is not a Coach in America I trust more than Prohm when it comes to evaluating PG talent. But from everything I have seen Born has all the tools to be a dominate College PG. He is on the shorter side "5'11" but has good quickness, above average athleticism, nice vertical, solid passer, nice ball control, a slew of floaters and shots he can get off against bigs, and is a deadly shooter from 3 point range. What does he need to do to get an offer from ISU? Does he need to beat Foster and Osky again in the State Championship? Or simply grow a few inches? ISU is in on a bunch of 4 Star PG's at the moment but Born is way better than his UNI, and Drake offers.
What are you talking about - beat Foster in the Championship game? My alma mater, Glenwood beat Osky in the 3-A championship last year.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

Bowen is a great player and I have watched him numerous times. Plays a little like Stef Curry. Not same talent level obviously but the kid has long long range. He is not 5’11 though.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Being a great shooter is about 20% of the equation for .Big12 PG. More important is speed/quickness. Can he break down P5 level PG's off the dribble. Is he a stud passer? Can he defend .opposiing PG?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Are you sure that making a comparison to Clayton Custer diminishes his stock? Last year , Custer did all right for himself during a tournament with some pretty good teams.
Something to be said about having to play in high end conference night in and night out.
Vs getting hot in a few tourney games.

Whomever mentioned Iowa not offering, who is kind of desperate for great guard play kind of says maybe not a major conference player.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron