15 games left (long)

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
We are 12-4 (2-2). This is my prediction rest of the way...
@ TTU - loss
OSU - win
@ KU - loss
@ Ole Miss - loss
WVU - win
UT - win
@ OU - loss
TCU - loss
@ KSU - loss
BAY - win
@ TCU - loss
OU - win
@ UT - win
@ WVU - loss
TTU - win

That would put us at 21-14 (9-9). I think we go 1-1 in KC. Probably sneaks us into the field of 68 but it will be close. Tech and us will be playing for a lot that last game, but for different reasons.

I think this roster has top 25 individual talent, but we really are not a good team right now, and I won't believe it unless proven otherwise. Sure, we have some defensive and rebounding weaknesses.

My biggest concern is offense, and as long as Prohm is here I'll feel that way. Very few adjustments or counters to how we are being defended and how the game is flowing. If he does, it's often too late. I would have thought he finally learned his lesson vs Purdue 2 years ago. Play to the strengths of YOUR team! Dont get bogged down in slugfests with KSU, Baylor, etc.

He doesn't do a good enough job dictating the tempo and rhythm on either end. There should be no reason why we are ever walking the ball up the court with this personnel. We have skilled guards and mobile bigs (and depth!). Make or miss, turnover, dead all, whatever, push the ball! Come down the floor with some pace and early offense. Quit with the ball screens every possession, some guys don't need that. Steve's trying to run a space offense but I dont feel he is a great teacher or tactician with it. He's never tried inverting the offense. I would think THT and Shayok could be assets catching in the post. And I get a feeling he's having trouble managing minutes and shots with LW, Marial, THT and NWB.

Bottom line, these last 2 losses are huge for the prospects of the rest of the season. The players, and more importantly coaches, have their work cut out. Those final 5 games starting @TCU could be brutal.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
In the past ISU teams under Prohm have gotten better as the season goes on. Remember this team plays a lot of younger guys and not many have played together before. Fred's best team 13-14 had a lot of new pieces and started conference 3-4.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We are 12-4 (2-2). This is my prediction rest of the way...
@ TTU - loss
OSU - win
@ KU - loss
@ Ole Miss - loss
WVU - win
UT - win
@ OU - loss
TCU - loss
@ KSU - loss
BAY - win
@ TCU - loss
OU - win
@ UT - win
@ WVU - loss
TTU - win

That would put us at 21-14 (9-9). I think we go 1-1 in KC. Probably sneaks us into the field of 68 but it will be close. Tech and us will be playing for a lot that last game, but for different reasons.

I think this roster has top 25 individual talent, but we really are not a good team right now, and I won't believe it unless proven otherwise. Sure, we have some defensive and rebounding weaknesses.

My biggest concern is offense, and as long as Prohm is here I'll feel that way. Very few adjustments or counters to how we are being defended and how the game is flowing. If he does, it's often too late. I would have thought he finally learned his lesson vs Purdue 2 years ago. Play to the strengths of YOUR team! Dont get bogged down in slugfests with KSU, Baylor, etc.

He doesn't do a good enough job dictating the tempo and rhythm on either end. There should be no reason why we are ever walking the ball up the court with this personnel. We have skilled guards and mobile bigs (and depth!). Make or miss, turnover, dead all, whatever, push the ball! Come down the floor with some pace and early offense. Quit with the ball screens every possession, some guys don't need that. Steve's trying to run a space offense but I dont feel he is a great teacher or tactician with it. He's never tried inverting the offense. I would think THT and Shayok could be assets catching in the post. And I get a feeling he's having trouble managing minutes and shots with LW, Marial, THT and NWB.

Bottom line, these last 2 losses are huge for the prospects of the rest of the season. The players, and more importantly coaches, have their work cut out. Those final 5 games starting @TCU could be brutal.

So you think we'll beat TT and OU in Hilton, but not TCU? Interesting.

I actually agree with your predictions except I think we get TCU at home and KSU on the road. I wasn't very impressed with KSU yesterday. We played about as poorly as I've seen us play, and KSU had numerous "prayers" go in as the shot clock was expiring, and we still only lost by 1. If we even play an average game for us and KSU doesn't hit some of those "prayers", we win easily IMO.

• Optimistic
  • Disagree
Reactions: surly and Cyclad

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
OP's prediction puts us at 19 regular season wins, not 21. Unfortunately. 20 if you assume 1 conf tourney win.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
WVU isn’t that bad. We’re more than capable of losing to them in Morgantown imo.
To be real, we are capable of losing any of the remaining games on the schedule. But ISU is also capable of winning any of the remaining games on the schedule too

This is not directed towards you, but in general to many CF posters...."stay even". The same people that were saying that ISU would win the B12 are probably the same ones saying ISU won't make the NCAA tourney.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My projection after Jan. 12 games.

L at Texas Tech
W Oklahoma State
L at Kansas
L at Ole Miss
W West Virginia
W Texas
L at Oklahoma
W TCU
L at Kansas State
W Baylor
L at TCU
L Oklahoma
L at Texas
W at West Virginia
W Texas Tech

19-12 (9-9)

Last edited:

Jacktronic

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
My projection after Jan. 12 games.

L at Texas Tech
W Oklahoma State
L at Kansas
L at Ole Miss
W West Virginia
W Texas
L at Oklahoma
W TCU
L at Kansas State
W Baylor
L at TCU
L Oklahoma
L at Texas
W at West Virginia
W Texas Tech

18-13 (7-11)

That's 19-12 (9-9).

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

Jacktronic

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Thanks. I revised it.

I think I was using the wrong starting point to add the rest of the W/L, instead of going from 12-4. Or something.

All good. My question is, if we go one and done in conf tourney, does 19-13 (9-9) get us in?

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
All good. My question is, if we go one and done in conf tourney, does 19-13 (9-9) get us in?
Hard to say without knowing who their nine conference wins are against. KU is obviously one. If they also have two or three wins against teams like TT, TCU, and OU, they would likely get the nod with a 19-13 record.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
So you think we'll beat TT and OU in Hilton, but not TCU? Interesting.

I actually agree with your predictions except I think we get TCU at home and KSU on the road. I wasn't very impressed with KSU yesterday. We played about as poorly as I've seen us play, and KSU had numerous "prayers" go in as the shot clock was expiring, and we still only lost by 1. If we even play an average game for us and KSU doesn't hit some of those "prayers", we win easily IMO.

Our poor play was due to KSU's more physical defense, much of it due to the refs allowing more physical play. They also out hustled us on the 50/50 balls. Having Lard would definitely have helped on D vs their big who consistently overpowered Jacobson.

Despite all of that, ISU wins if we hit our free throws in the game, especially down the stretch. Not sure we win at KSU since they'll be much improved as Wade sees more playing time.

• Agree
Reactions: surly and Cyclad

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think 10-8 with an upset or two on the road will be needed for a sure bid with how this week played out.

Change will be needed in some way but it can't be gradual.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The same people that were saying that ISU would win the B12 are probably the same ones saying ISU won't make the NCAA tourney.
This isn’t directed at you, but this narrative is one of the bigger myths of message boards.

You’re wrong on that in two regards- some people were saying ISU should be considered a favorite to win the Big 12, recognizing the possibility that this team could underachieve. Although there may be some very small overlap, it’s likely mostly different people now saying ISU won’t make the tournament. And that’s ignoring that very very few are saying we will miss the tournament, but rather it’s a possibility. That’s a significant difference.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
To be real, we are capable of losing any of the remaining games on the schedule. But ISU is also capable of winning any of the remaining games on the schedule too

This is not directed towards you, but in general to many CF posters...."stay even". The same people that were saying that ISU would win the B12 are probably the same ones saying ISU won't make the NCAA tourney.

Yeah, it’s the curse of an athletic tradition with so little in the way of accomplishments. They get all excited. Can’t act like they’ve been there, because they haven’t.

• Informative
Reactions: amishclone

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
I'm not convinced Prohm will make the necessary adjustments game to game. And still don't think roles are solidified for this team. We lose 3 of the next 4 and the pressure will really start to mount. I'm pessimistic right now there is not enough time for this team to get it turned around to make this a good season. We'll see...