MLB: 2018 - 2019 General Baseball Off Season Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Didn't see a thread for general baseball stuff so....

Yanks traded for left handed bald eagle handler James Paxton yesterday.

040518_paxton_eagle_med.gif

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Trade gossip of the day that made me laugh out loud at the absurdity of it.

https://yanksgoyard.com/2018/11/26/yankees-cano-ellsbury-discussed/

Twins rumored to be interested in Sonny Gray along with several other teams. Skeptical the Twins have anything to offer that would beat out other suitors. Gray would be a good pickup for someone. He was a total washout under the pressure in NY but could be a good #2 or #3 in a lower key setting. Somebody might get a good deal here. Could even end up back in Oakland.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
What year is it?!? 2007?!? Braves are bringing back Brian McCann. One year deal for cheap so I'm fine with it, I guess. Grandal or Realmuto would've been awesome but with the Marlins reportedly wanting Acuña (LMFAO! GTFO!) in a Realmuto deal, it's not surprising we are going a different direction.

Also signed Josh Donaldson. One year, $23 million supposedly. Seems like a lot for an injury prone guy and I was okay with Camargo as our everyday 3rd baseman; but it's also only a one year deal so if it doesn't work out, he's off the books after next season. If he does well, Camargo will have a regular utility role. Donaldson is also a great hitting mind to expose our young bats to.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What year is it?!? 2007?!? Braves are bringing back Brian McCann. One year deal for cheap so I'm fine with it, I guess. Grandal or Realmuto would've been awesome but with the Marlins reportedly wanting Acuña (LMFAO! GTFO!) in a Realmuto deal, it's not surprising we are going a different direction.

Also signed Josh Donaldson. One year, $23 million supposedly. Seems like a lot for an injury prone guy and I was okay with Camargo as our everyday 3rd baseman; but it's also only a one year deal so if it doesn't work out, he's off the books after next season. If he does well, Camargo will have a regular utility role. Donaldson is also a great hitting mind to expose our young bats to.

Yeah, that is cheap for a guy who was making $17M but 2018 was not a good year for him. Still only 34 though and guy can catch.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone101

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Yeah, that is cheap for a guy who was making $17M but 2018 was not a good year for him. Still only 34 though and guy can catch.
I read somewhere (I forget where, maybe it's b.s.) that he turned down some more lucrative offers in order to come back to Atlanta. He's a Georgia native.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

Glad you guys got Donaldson, Cards were rumored to be in on him and I wanted nothing to do with him.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Glad you guys got Donaldson, Cards were rumored to be in on him and I wanted nothing to do with him.

I would have taken him with a much more incentive based contract. That seems really expensive for a guaranteed contract.

I'm hoping the Cards can find a way to trade for Goldschmidt without giving away the farm.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Trade gossip of the day that made me laugh out loud at the absurdity of it.

https://yanksgoyard.com/2018/11/26/yankees-cano-ellsbury-discussed/

Twins rumored to be interested in Sonny Gray along with several other teams. Skeptical the Twins have anything to offer that would beat out other suitors. Gray would be a good pickup for someone. He was a total washout under the pressure in NY but could be a good #2 or #3 in a lower key setting. Somebody might get a good deal here. Could even end up back in Oakland.

Does Gray even have any suitors? His trade value couldn't possibly be lower right now. He was a complete disaster this past season.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Does Gray even have any suitors? His trade value couldn't possibly be lower right now. He was a complete disaster this past season.

Yes, maybe half dozen teams said to be sniffing around. Likely offering crap to start with because they know the Yanks want to get rid of him. The generally accepted thought is he will be fine pitching in a small market. He's not hurt or had a loss of stuff or anything.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Patrick Corbin got $140M from the Nationals. Might be a players market this winter. Last year was a drought year for free agents.

Wondering what the two big dogs will get? Both are budget busters and and maybe team busters by the end of their contracts which I am expecting they want to be 10 years deals or something.