Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
They did bring Black Sun into cannon in the Clone Wars animated series. Prince Xizor was nowhere to be found but his species (Falleen) were running the organization. With Maul's appearance in Solo, and his arc already involving several of the crime factions (including Black Sun) could open the door to the Dash Rendar character showing up. Heck, they could pull in any number of characters, Kyle Katarn, Jan Ors, Talon Karrde, even Mara Jade along with Dash in the mix in a smuggler/crime underworld series. I doubt we will see Mara, given her story with Luke Skywalker in the old EU, but my hope would be to get her as a top figure in a smuggling crew and leave the "Emperor's hand" force sensitive stuff behind. Probably need to ignore that force sensitive portion of the Katarn character as well.

I don't think we'll see Katarn and Ors as they changed them to Cassian Andor and Jyn Erso for Rogue One.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think there is a good chance Feige would like to do it. He is a big Star Wars fan. It would seem like perfect timing as Marvel is moving to phase 4. Would Disney want to pull him from Marvel? Could he do both? Would he want to deal with the much harder to please Star Wars fan base?

Reactions: Triggermv

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't think the move makes sense for Fiege. I'd like Filoni because he's the only one I've seen pull of mystical Star Wars stories which usually suck.

Abrams would be good, because he knows what Star Wars fans like, even if he's just playing the hits. I know I'm in the vast minority but I liked Last Jedi more than TFA. But I was ready to move on from the original trilogy.

BTW, TLJ is on Netflix now.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I don't think the move makes sense for Fiege. I'd like Filoni because he's the only one I've seen pull of mystical Star Wars stories which usually suck.

Abrams would be good, because he knows what Star Wars fans like, even if he's just playing the hits. I know I'm in the vast minority but I liked Last Jedi more than TFA. But I was ready to move on from the original trilogy.

BTW, TLJ is on Netflix now.

I would like Filoni but I don't think it will ever happen. He's never even directed or produced a non-animated movie let alone a whole franchise. It would be like hiring a coach with no coaching experience.;)

Last edited:
  • Agree

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Disney is trying to buy back the Star Wars broadcasting rights from Turner Broadcasting (TBS, TNT). In 2016, Turner purchased the broadcast rights to ALL the Star Wars films (including future films) for $275 million and the deal was to run through the year 2024. Disney now wants to buy back those rights so the Star Wars films will be available on Disney's new streaming service.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...id-to-seek-star-wars-rights-back-from-tbs-tnt

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Disney is trying to buy back the Star Wars broadcasting rights from Turner Broadcasting (TBS, TNT). In 2016, Turner purchased the broadcast rights to ALL the Star Wars films (including future films) for $275 million and the deal was to run through the year 2024. Disney now wants to buy back those rights so the Star Wars films will be available on Disney's new streaming service.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...id-to-seek-star-wars-rights-back-from-tbs-tnt

ed1.jpg

• Creative
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...service-james-gunn-star-wars-slowdown-1145493

Big-time interview with Disney CEO Bob Iger where he talks about Marvel, Star Wars, the Fox merger, the firing of Rosanne and James Gunn, and the new Disney streaming service. Lots of interesting tidbits to go around.

On the Star Wars front, the most interesting stuff is when he talks about the pace of movies getting released and a likely slowdown in that area. The other really big thing is how he mentions upcoming projects like JJ's episode 9 and the upcoming Benioff and Weiss trilogy, but NOT anything about Rian Johnson's trilogy. Personally, I'm still in the camp that the backlash to Episode 8 won't allow Rian Johnson's trilogy to ever see the light of day. There is just too many haters of his creativity.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Personally, I'm still in the camp that the backlash to Episode 8 won't allow Rian Johnson's trilogy to ever see the light of day. There is just too many haters of his creativity.

Agreed, although I think that he would have been fine telling the same story with different characters. People are too emotionally invested in Luke Skywalker to let him make mistakes, so the movie didn't work with some people. This is why it's good we're getting Benioff and Weis, and potentially a different trilogy with Johnson. We need to get away from the Skywalkers.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Agreed, although I think that he would have been fine telling the same story with different characters. People are too emotionally invested in Luke Skywalker to let him make mistakes, so the movie didn't work with some people. This is why it's good we're getting Benioff and Weis, and potentially a different trilogy with Johnson. We need to get away from the Skywalkers.

Eh, there is some truth to what you are saying. Yes, some of my concerns about The Last Jedi would have been solved by not using the same characters, just like you said. Other things would still just be bad and would have been bad regardless of what characters you were using. Everything with Canto Bight and Rose's character arc (her start of her arc was good), now those were just bad bad, no matter what trilogy you throw them in. And no, I'm not racist because I really did not like Rose in TLJ. It wasn't her fault, she was just written bad.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: State43 and bstegs

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
We need to get away from the Skywalkers.

I get what you are saying about the Skywalkers. In some respects I agree but at the same time I could see where allowing Luke to have a major impact through Episode 9 would have made a lot of sense. I assume most of the people who attended Episodes 7 & 8 went in part for the nostalgia and were not necessarily hard-core fans that watched the cartoons or read the novels. I would prefer keeping the Skywalker family story going but it wouldn't necessarily have to be Luke. I enjoyed most of Episode 8...minus the Rose stuff. I just felt like that part of the story wasn't necessary. I am very much looking forward to having JJ back for Episode 9 (and maybe 10 if they do cut the "final" story into two halves).

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
How dare you sir.

I get it. No doubt. Regardless, I would love to hear the thoughts of Pedro Pascal from those that do watch him on Game of Thrones. Sure, there has to be some pretty good acting done from those Game of Thrones actors/actresses, but count me a little gun shy every since Finn Jones moved over to Iron Fist from there. That dude is just not a very good actor. I'm sorry.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I get it. No doubt. Regardless, I would love to hear the thoughts of Pedro Pascal from those that do watch him on Game of Thrones. Sure, there has to be some pretty good acting done from those Game of Thrones actors/actresses, but count me a little gun shy every since Finn Jones moved over to Iron Fist from there. That dude is just not a very good actor. I'm sorry.
Nope which is why he had very little parts in GOT. Pascal was great in GOT and good in the Great Wall as well despite that movie being mostly silly.

• Informative