Hy-Vee Big 4 Classic Ending

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Good riddance.

And agreed with others- if UNI\Drake want to play us, they can come to Ames, or at most a 2 for 1 deal. Especially UNI. Drake at least has the benefit of giving us a game in des moines, which i'd be open to a home and WFA setup so that our fans can have a DSM game

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I didn't care for the Classic because the tickets were priced in a way that implies I want to see both games. I only wanted to watch Iowa State. It was also lame that Iowa and UNI fans cheered against ISU no matter what. The only year I went ISU destroyed Drake and the Iowa Wal Mart t shirt fans next to me kept chanting "BIG TEN REJECTS" over and over (aimed at Babb, Lucious, etc)

spk123

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines
I think I liked the idea of a Big 4 Classic better than the actual execution. I might be in the minority, but I actually like playing Drake and UNI each year (more interesting to me than Maryland-Eastern Shore or the like). That said, I wasn't a big fan of the setup at Wells Fargo Arena. The arena just isn't that great of a place to watch basketball, in my opinion.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It's fun to rail on Iowa but don't kid yourselves, JP wants the Big 4 to go away too. This gives Iowa State the opportunity to host another home game or go and play and RPI builder at a neutral site.

Also, Wells Fargo is a terrible basketball venue.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Too bad for downtown Des Moines businesses. But as a fan I guess I don't mind it going away. It was just one of those things that was better in theory than it was in reality.

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think I liked the idea of a Big 4 Classic better than the actual execution. I might be in the minority, but I actually like playing Drake and UNI each year (more interesting to me than Maryland-Eastern Shore or the like). That said, I wasn't a big fan of the setup at Wells Fargo Arena. The arena just isn't that great of a place to watch basketball, in my opinion.

Agreed. I'd rather play these teams than some of the other crappy teams we play. Hope we can keep it going. I wouldn't go to Knapp but I wouldn't mind playing UNI in CF, it's a good prep game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron