Solomon Young surgery today

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Well if he is having surgery today (he has two meniscus tears in his left knee), there is no doubt hes done for the season.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I think Long has gotten more comfortable as the minutes have accrued. He is already one of our best defenders, and I think his 3 point shot will become valuable as he feels more comfortable. It's not like he's feeling the pressure of having to carry the team, or anything.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Meniscus tears take 4-6 weeks to rehab from. Hes done.

It really depends on the tear and what they are doing for it. If they are doing a repair, then yeah he is done for the season. If it is a tear where they are just going to remove a small portion then he isn't a given he would miss many games.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Rest well and heal big guy...next season will be here soon enough. Lard certainly becomes a bigger set piece now...needs to really play smart these last few games.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Get healthy and come back full strength next year.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

I am having a torn meniscus surgery next month. Just had my appointment with my doctor going over all of the rehab, etc. last Friday.

If he is getting the tear repaired, the healing process will take longer as to not rush back and re-tear open the repaired meniscus. This is generally done when the tear is on the outer edge of the meniscus. If the tear is in the center or middle of the meniscus, they usually just have to cut the tear clean off, so the torn cartilage isn't snagging and ripping against the knee (which is what causes meniscus tear pain, not the tear itself)

If they cut it clean, the regular recovery is between 1-2 weeks, but probably won't be fully ready for a week following the "recovery period". So my guess would be 2 weeks at the least, if they cut the tear off, and more like 4-5 weeks if they repair it completely.

Dr. srjclone, out.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Thanks Solo! Get healed up and start working on finishing the last two years of your career, can't wait to see ya back.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Meniscus tears take 4-6 weeks to rehab from. Hes done.
Had two tears in the right knee repaired with arthroscopic surgery. I was walking in two days. However, the demands they make on their knees are vastly different from an old lady going up & down stairs.

Edit: after reading srjcyclone's post - repair is the wrong word. On my knee they simply trimmed the tears and smoothed the cartilage. The only sutures involved were one each to close the three trocar incisions.

He might rehab faster than the 4-6 weeks you mention, but IMO...don't push the rehab. At this point in the season chances of post-season are slim to none, and they are so banged up that odds of winning in the post season are equally slim. Better to let the bench get experience for next year.

Man, I HATE saying that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and srjclone

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
don't push the rehab

Truer words were never spoken. Or typed.

Case in point - my 85 year old grandmother had both knees replaced a few years ago. She rigorously followed rehab and PT and gets around quite well nowadays.

A guy I work with, on the other hand, skipped out on his rehab after some hip surgery and has to go back in for a repeat since nothing healed right.