Bowl Game Projections

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I don't get the anti-Memphis sentiment. It's drivable, affordable, and has a great bar scene.
I had a blast there. It's way better than Shreveport.
While I would prefer Phoenix, San Antonio, Orlando, those are giant cities with people scattered everywhere. It really felt like ISU took over Memphis downtown.
I enjoyed Memphis and would go back but I would just love to try somewhere new. San Antonio is my #1

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I don't get the anti-Memphis sentiment. It's drivable, affordable, and has a great bar scene.
I had a blast there. It's way better than Shreveport.
While I would prefer Phoenix, San Antonio, Orlando, those are giant cities with people scattered everywhere. It really felt like ISU took over Memphis downtown.

Memphis was ok. But the crappy weather and the loss put a damper on a lot of people's opinion of Memphis.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Give me Orlando a thousand times over. We are already going there for a week starting on Dec. 31st so we can just start our vacation early. Plus flights are cheap. $100-150 for a direct flight out of Cedar Rapids.

It's the freaking Tangerine Bowl man.
Tangerine Bowl is now the Citrus Bowl, played on New Year's Day. Camping World Bowl is a new bowl.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
We decided to take the chance on Orlando and got our plane tickets. If ISU doesn’t make that bowl game, then we wouldn’t have gone to another bowl game anyway.

Memphis = gross, Houston = hurricane central, and San Antonio seems really unlikely.

If ISU makes Orlando, awesome! If not, we’ll spend 4 days at Daytona Beach and then a week on the golf course!

I have been to Houston multiple times since Harvey. You will see ZERO remnants from the hurricane unless you try to venture into isolated residential areas in the West/Southwest part of the city. Don't be afraid to go to Houston if we make the Texas Bowl.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
I have been to Houston multiple times since Harvey. You will see ZERO remnants from the hurricane unless you try to venture into isolated residential areas in the West/Southwest part of the city. Don't be afraid to go to Houston if we make the Texas Bowl.

I agree with this plus a prime time slot against a good SEC opponent...to the person who was scared of playing an SEC school, would you rather play a directional MAC team, have to challenge yourself at some point!

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Tangerine Bowl is now the Citrus Bowl, played on New Year's Day. Camping World Bowl is a new bowl.

FYI, the Camping World Bowl is just the new name. The bowl has been around since the early 90's and was originally in Miami. Names that I know it has been previously are the Champs Sports Bowl and Russell Athletic Bowl.

• Agree
Reactions: Nihawk

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
When we went to the Houston Bowl against TCU, I found the Rice campustown area to be full of awesome, nice bars.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
DSM to Memphis flights are under $300 right now. Very affordable.

DSM to San Antonio around $200 right now. Even better!

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
FYI, the Camping World Bowl is just the new name. The bowl has been around since the early 90's and was originally in Miami. Names that I know it has been previously are the Champs Sports Bowl and Russell Athletic Bowl.

And it was also called the Tangerine Bowl from 2001 to 2003. It's ran by the same people who run the Citrus Bowl (Florida Sports Citrus group), which was originally called the Tangerine Bowl. So while yes, it's technically the Camping World Bowl now, it was a one point called the Tangerine Bowl with its original name in 1990 being the Sunshine Classic and Blockbuster Bowl. I just choose to use the coolest names for bowls and not corporate bullshat.

Here's the 2002 and 2003 logo
Mazda_Tangerine_Bowl_Logo.gif

That Florida Sports Citrus group is also the group that slobbers all over Iowa's traveling fan base and takes them any chance they can because there is nothing to do in this state in the winter. I would imagine the same love is coming our way.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I enjoyed Memphis and would go back but I would just love to try somewhere new. San Antonio is my #1

Would love Alamo Bowl. Will likely require us winning out, OU winning out, and both TCU and OSU getting picked for NY6 games. I am guessing it is not likely all those games break our way.

If ISU wins out, I will be happy and show up anywhere. I do kind of like that Liberty Bowl is on a weekend, and if you did not go before, Beale Street is an absolute blast for partying/music, and ISU fans dominated. Not sure Orlando would have a similar gathering place.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
If someone has a subscription to the Athletic (I don't) here are their updated projections. Mandel has done a pretty good job on them in the past:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If someone has a subscription to the Athletic (I don't) here are their updated projections. Mandel has done a pretty good job on them in the past:

I've thought about subscribing because the joint podcast Stew does with Bruce Feldman is a must listen every week.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi and MLawrence