Stupid logo hate thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
this is an excellent example why all of you armchair designers have no idea what youre talking about. Similar to the iowa liscense plate disaster recently where everyone freaked out on the designer until she came out and said "heres why I had to do it the way I did it". Unless you are going to make helmets with no "holes" in them, you dont have free reign to do whatever you want. Anyone (except for the guy that uses ms paint to show helmet designs apparently) can slap a "logo" on a helmet in photo editiing. A designer has to figure out how to fit it properly on an actual real life helmet that is not just an internet photo. Figure out how to make it work on several different colors of apparel as well as make it useful in graphic design.

Wow! You've really opened my eyes! Thank you so much for your insight. You know what? I now love the logo!

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Who told you to hate it? It was getting such positive reviews and then everybody decided to be cool and hate it. Bunch of posers!
the old logo without the script in your avi looks much more like the poop emoji than the new alt. logo. difference is, the poop emoji didnt exsist when it came out. The same jokes would have been made if we used it. And the same jokes will be made when we use it, which we will. I cant wait for you to hate it too.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
the old logo without the script in your avi looks much more like the poop emoji than the new alt. logo. difference is, the poop emoji didnt exsist when it came out. The same jokes would have been made if we used it. And the same jokes will be made when we use it, which we will. I cant wait for you to hate it too.

I haven't said anything about the logo looking like a chip or poop nor have those jokes influenced my opinion. I hated the logo before the game. Hopefully they use the old logo at some point, but I won't hold my breath.

Not trying to convince you of anything, just stating facts.

Are you saying the graphic designer was thinking about the holes on the helmet when he designed our secondary logo?

Reactions: SolarGarlic

GoldenCardinal

Aug 29, 2016
Iowa
I'm a little confused as to why they decided to use this side of the helmet on all of the releases before the game. The logo in this is opposite of what it is on all of the shirts and stuff.
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 12.59.40 AM.png
This one below is the way it appears on the gear. I think it looks slightly better, and would have been a better photo to release the logo with. Not that it would have much or any impact on people's opinions though.
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 1.07.15 AM.png

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I haven't said anything about the logo looking like a chip or poop nor have those jokes influenced my opinion. I hated the logo before the game. Hopefully they use the old logo at some point, but I won't hold my breath.

Are you saying the graphic designer was thinking about the holes on the helmet when he designed our secondary logo?
youre questioning on whether the logo fits on the helmet and how much of it is obstructed by the holes as a design factor? Yes I am saying it is a factor.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I'm a little confused as to why they decided to use this side of the helmet on all of the releases before the game. The logo in this is opposite of what it is on all of the shirts and stuff.
View attachment 50332
This one below is the way it appears on the gear. I think it looks slightly better, and would have been a better photo to release the logo with. Not that it would have much or any impact on people's opinions though.
View attachment 50334
youre 100% correct, in the initial photo it appears as though the cyclone is moving backwards. Looks a million times better in the 2nd photo.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
A few days later, I still don't like it but have decided it is better than no Tornado logo. I like Cy as a mascot but want nothing to do with a cartoon bird logo. I'd much much prefer the updated 80's tornado and will still seek out the old logo on gear. Not great, better than nothing. That's where I am at.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
giphy.gif

• Creative
Reactions: dirtyninety

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
this is an excellent example why all of you armchair designers have no idea what youre talking about. Similar to the iowa liscense plate disaster recently where everyone freaked out on the designer until she came out and said "heres why I had to do it the way I did it". Unless you are going to make helmets with no "holes" in them, you dont have free reign to do whatever you want. Anyone (except for the guy that uses ms paint to show helmet designs apparently) can slap a "logo" on a helmet in photo editiing. A designer has to figure out how to fit it properly on an actual real life helmet that is not just an internet photo. Figure out how to make it work on several different colors of apparel as well as make it useful in graphic design.
I'm not a designer and couldn't be one (other than roads, parking lots, and utility systems) but I have eyes.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's ugly on it's own, but what really is bad about it is that it has both cardinal and gold in it. Why? Having cardinal in your logo, on top of a cardinal helmet is just awful. Can you imagine Iowa's tigerhawk logo having both yellow and black in it, on top of a black helmet? It would even be uglier than it is currently.

If we're going to have a tornado on our cardinal helmet, it should be an all gold tornado. This is pretty simple design stuff here. And if we had a gold helmet (which is ridiculous that we don't), then the tornado should be cardinal. On the white helmet you'd probably go with the cardinal logo, although you could use the gold one if you wanted, but that would look pretty bad.

This was just messed up beyond belief from the get go. Does anyone still know if we had some kind of focus group for this? I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of dollars we spent on this complete embarrassing garbage. I suppose it's too much to just ditch it and start over now most likely.

We went from one game (Akron) wearing a new nice clean stenciled sharp logo, to the next game (Texas) wearing a busy, cluttered, ugly multi colored piece of garbage. Only ISU.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Day 4.....No apology from our Athletic Department about this logo. I'm filing a Freedom of Information Act request to see how much was spent on this (including internal staff time) and who knew what when. This logo is not inclusive and contributes to a culture of Hate and intolerance that should require a public denunciation by anyone who is anti-fascist. Never Forget.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
It's ugly on it's own, but what really is bad about it is that it has both cardinal and gold in it. Why? Having cardinal in your logo, on top of a cardinal helmet is just awful. Can you imagine Iowa's tigerhawk logo having both yellow and black in it, on top of a black helmet? It would even be uglier than it is currently.

If we're going to have a tornado on our cardinal helmet, it should be an all gold tornado. This is pretty simple design stuff here. And if we had a gold helmet (which is ridiculous that we don't), then the tornado should be cardinal. On the white helmet you'd probably go with the cardinal logo, although you could use the gold one if you wanted, but that would look pretty bad.

This was just messed up beyond belief from the get go. Does anyone still know if we had some kind of focus group for this? I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of dollars we spent on this complete embarrassing garbage. I suppose it's too much to just ditch it and start over now most likely.

We went from one game (Akron) wearing a new nice clean stenciled sharp logo, to the next game (Texas) wearing a busy, cluttered, ugly multi colored piece of garbage. Only ISU.

Agree here.

@ChrisMWilliams - you missed the mark on your Friday article. We all understand the impact of uniforms/logos/etc. can have on recruiting, and we already know this is a path our football staff wants to go down. Even if we’re 6 years late to the party (i.e. OSU was using gray in 2011 and it was REALLY cool). What actually matters though is that this new attempt a secondary tornado mark, while appreciated by many, was such poor execution. The logo just sucks, period. It looks stupid. It looks cartoonish it looks cheesy. I’m embarrassed and upset about it, because it was a complete missed opportunity, yet again. I hope the athletic department is listening and scraps this logo. Hold on to your britches? Huh? Are you saying more terrible logos are coming?

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/487-KXnO-Sports-Fanatics-28237065/

CW interview with Pollard talks about the terrible logo. Starts about 12:00 in. Pollard basically says screw the fans, he only cares about three groups - the players, football program, and vendors. It was kept a secret so it would be a surprise for the players, so I doubt they had a chance to get feedback to how awful it looked before they rolled it out.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Agree here.

@ChrisMWilliams - you missed the mark on your Friday article. We all understand the impact of uniforms/logos/etc. can have on recruiting, and we already know this is a path our football staff wants to go down. Even if we’re 6 years late to the party (i.e. OSU was using gray in 2011 and it was REALLY cool). What actually matters though is that this new attempt a secondary tornado mark, while appreciated by many, was such poor execution. The logo just sucks, period. It looks stupid. It looks cartoonish it looks cheesy. I’m embarrassed and upset about it, because it was a complete missed opportunity, yet again. I hope the athletic department is listening and scraps this logo. Hold on to your britches? Huh? Are you saying more terrible logos are coming?
CW whiffed

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
View attachment 50332
View attachment 50334

Stupid lefty-leaning, libtard college influence. Of course they released the left-facing helmet.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
17 pages of critiquing the logo. Guess ******** about the coaches and team isn’t enough.

This is just the beginning.......Remember the Liberty Bowl. Never Forget.
That is the problem with this Generation Z or whatever....they don't know their history.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
This is just the beginning.......Remember the Liberty Bowl. Never Forget.
That is the problem with this Generation Z or whatever....they don't know their history.

THERE IT IS!!!!!

Liberty Bowl.... dude. Let it go. lmao

Maybe you are still pissed about the 1972 loss in the Liberty Bowl?

Your guy Johnny Majors was coaching... did he suck too?