***Official 2017 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
April is the biggest month for transfers from what I can recall. Too many teams are still playing at this point to recruit transfers, so there's no point in announcing until there are some teams able to bring you in for a visit.

While competition will be hot, at least we've got a lot to offer this year. Not only do we have some recent success to show to these guys, but we've got A LOT of immediate playing time to offer as well.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Link?
I believe Prohm said he'd like a JuCo/Grad transfer front court player and shooter if available. The third scholarship would be used for best available prep/transfer (Yenta? who likely would RS or not contribute much as a freshman).
If the staff can find 3 players to add to next years rotation and get them to commit it would be great. I'm just cautioning that we shouldn't expect that or see it as a failure by Prohm because he may feel the current players are ready to step up or are better than the available options. Actually I would feel better about the future of the team if that was the case.

If he doesn't get any player in the last 3-4 schollies that can contribute that will be a failure on Prohm. But I don't expect that to happen.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
April is the biggest month for transfers from what I can recall. Too many teams are still playing at this point to recruit transfers, so there's no point in announcing until there are some teams able to bring you in for a visit.

Heck, they don't even need to announce. Matt A. is already on grad transfer guys like glue that they want before they even announce.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Link?
I believe Prohm said he'd like a JuCo/Grad transfer front court player and shooter if available. The third scholarship would be used for best available prep/transfer (Yenta? who likely would RS or not contribute much as a freshman).
If the staff can find 3 players to add to next years rotation and get them to commit it would be great. I'm just cautioning that we shouldn't expect that or see it as a failure by Prohm because he may feel the current players are ready to step up or are better than the available options. Actually I would feel better about the future of the team if that was the case.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
Link?
Is there a reason you say Yetna would likely RS or are you just speculating? Just wondering as red shirts are becoming less and less common is college basketball lately.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Yes that the last comment from Prohm I had seen. I read into that as he'd like one more Post addition from the JuCo/Grad transfer pool to add to next years rotation.

The other 2 scholarships would be used on the best available be it JuCo/Prep/Transfer. Not necessarily on 2 more player to add to next years rotation but to help the team long term. A JuCo outside shooter combo guard would fill a need and we've heard of a late target for that role.

I got the feeling some fans are looking for 2 more impact players for 2017. It could happen I just have different expectations.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Is there a reason you say Yetna would likely RS or are you just speculating? Just wondering as red shirts are becoming less and less common is college basketball lately.
Are we really even after Yetna now?

Whether we hit on our needs is one thing, but to miscalculate them would truly be incriminating.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Yenta is viewed as a raw prospect who would need to add some weight for Big 12 competition. Only speculation but I would expect him to RS or not contribute much as a freshman like Long/Carter for ISU next year. I really doubt the staff would bring Yenta in expecting him to contribute major minutes next year in any case.

Reactions: baagoe

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Do we try to over recruit in case someone does transfer out at the end of the season as well? Just wondering because as of right now for next year we would just have one scholarship to offer and we are after some big fish for that class so it'd be nice to have atleast 2 to offer.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Yenta is viewed as a raw prospect who would need to add some weight for Big 12 competition. Only speculation but I would expect him to RS or not contribute much as a freshman like Long/Carter for ISU next year. I really doubt the staff would bring Yenta in expecting him to contribute major minutes next year in any case.

Since we don't have a stretch 4 currently on the roster I would think unless we add two Grad/Jucos plus Yetna red shirting is a luxury not afforded to Prohm.

I'm not one to usually speculate on departures and I'm not, however based on our woeful post situation earlier this season I really doubt Prohm has hopes of getting contributing minutes next season from a guy that he didn't give a shot this year.(response to an earlier comment)

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Some combination of Carter, Kasongo and Long will transfer.

My guess for most to least likely
1. Carter
2. Kasongo
3. Long.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Juiston is top priority. If we add Juiston, we're looking at

Jackson
Wigginton
Babb
Juiston
Young

Lewis
Lard
Long

Another big scoring guard and another post looks necessary if we want to put up any fight for an NCAA bid. I don't care where they come from, but would prefer immediately eligible transfers. There are still a ton of transfers to come. It will start in April and keep coming throughout the summer. The big fish will be out in April.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015

Actually that is not true. Redshirts are uncommon yes, but they still happen fairly regularly. It usually happens at schools that reload and don't depend heavily on the transfer market.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Juiston is top priority. If we add Juiston, we're looking at

Jackson
Wigginton
Babb
Juiston
Young

Lewis
Lard
Long

Another big scoring guard and another post looks necessary if we want to put up any fight for an NCAA bid. I don't care where they come from, but would prefer immediately eligible transfers. There are still a ton of transfers to come. It will start in April and keep coming throughout the summer. The big fish will be out in April.
Don't forget McNeil!

Yep, we need two eligible forwards and a guard imo. The big fish are not out yet, but Juiston in priority #1. I'd love Thornton and Thorpe, too. With the scholarships that will open soon grab a sit-out transfer

Last edited:

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
Actually that is not true. Redshirts are uncommon yes, but they still happen fairly regularly. It usually happens at schools that reload and don't depend heavily on the transfer market.
How can you say that they are uncommon & happen fairly regularly? And I think my statement that redshirts are less common now is definitely true.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves