Cutting the Cord

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think we are going to see many of these services go exclusive with various streaming providers. So to get everything you want, you might have to subscribe to 4-5 different services. How long until those bills start to add up?

It seems to be going that way. But for me, when it comes to media, the only thing I care about right now is watching sports. Otherwise, I will be fine with over the air stations. As long as, in the future, there is a good lineup for the sports networks, I will be OK.

It would be nice to have the food network, comedy central, and maybe a few other stations, but I can live without them. I have for the last 2 and a half years.

Also, to add to your comment, Disney has a deal with Netflix to stream their new movies on it. From what I have read, you can expect Dr. Strange to show up in January/February with Rouge One showing up in March/April. Which is a quick turnaround time. Also, I saw read an article somewhere (maybe seeking alpha) of a guy speculating that Disney may want to but Netflix.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I think we are going to see many of these services go exclusive with various streaming providers. So to get everything you want, you might have to subscribe to 4-5 different services. How long until those bills start to add up?

That's a good point. For us, we already had Netflix and Amazon Prime (not for TV services) with Directv. We added Hulu+ to supplement Vue.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Have a question with Sling TV and ESPNU. I added the ESPN channels for basketball but I don't see ESPNU. Grr. nothing like paying for ESPN but then not getting their third rate programming. Tried downloading the Watch ESPN app and apparently Sling isn't good enough to get the Watch ESPN app. Hmm... This might be a problem.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Have a question with Sling TV and ESPNU. I added the ESPN channels for basketball but I don't see ESPNU. Grr. nothing like paying for ESPN but then not getting their third rate programming. Tried downloading the Watch ESPN app and apparently Sling isn't good enough to get the Watch ESPN app. Hmm... This might be a problem.

I went with PS Vue because they have more sports channels plus ESPN and Fox Sports Go app logins. I don't think you can get ESPNU with Sling.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Haven't seriously considered cutting the cord yet, although I did a Sling trial and was impressed. Century Link fiber is creeping ever-closer to our neighborhood, though, and just this week they painted lines and put up little flags like they're getting ready to bury some on our street. Will be glad to be rid of Mediacom and that speed will open up a world of cord-cutting options.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
That's odd, we now have Vue but had Sling about 9 months ago (canceled after basketball). I was able to use my Sling login for the WatchESPN app. They must have just changed it if that is the case.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I can always go back and watch on the less than upstanding sites. I have no qualms about it especially since I am giving them money atm.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

I have always been able to watch games on ESPNU with Sling, I think through the Watch ESPN App. Let me double check this when I get home tonight and I will let you know if something changed.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
https://slickdeals.net/f/9462023-st...for-35-hbo-cinemax-extra-5-each?src=catpagev2
I don't think this is good enough to give up ps vue, I'm wondering about the grand fathering in price . is it at $35 or the rate after it goes up?
I pulled the trigger on that deal. I can always come back to PS Vue but even the $105 for the Apple TV alone is a great deal. It seems like their $35 package (which they say will go up to $60 after the intro period) has everything the $35 Vue package has and more. The one thing that stinks about Directv Now is that they don't have Roku support yet. Hopefully that changes soon.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So $60/mo for the package plus Internet charges.

This sounds very close to what I'm paying now for U-Verse and DirecTV Now doesn't have a DVR.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
So $60/mo for the package plus Internet charges.

This sounds very close to what I'm paying now for U-Verse and DirecTV Now doesn't have a DVR.
The normal price is $60 but if you subscribe during their "introduction period" which is now, it is discounted to $35/month and you are grandfathered in that rate until you cancel. If you miss the "intro period" the rate will go up to $60/month for any new subscribers. I should have clarified that in post above.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The normal price is $60 but if you subscribe during their "introduction period" which is now, it is discounted to $35/month and you are grandfathered in that rate until you cancel. If you miss the "intro period" the rate will go up to $60/month for any new subscribers. I should have clarified that in post above.

That sounds cool.

Guess I'm wondering what the benefit will be once that price increases? Looks like an inferior service for the same price.

Saving $300/yr is nothing to turn down with the offer for sure. But the benefits seem to stop there. If you get in at $60/mo it looks a lot like the price of cable

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
C
Haven't seriously considered cutting the cord yet, although I did a Sling trial and was impressed. Century Link fiber is creeping ever-closer to our neighborhood, though, and just this week they painted lines and put up little flags like they're getting ready to bury some on our street. Will be glad to be rid of Mediacom and that speed will open up a world of cord-cutting options.

I can't wait until I have another ISP option. So tired of Mediacom's crap.

• Agree
Reactions: ruxCYtable

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I pulled the trigger on that deal. I can always come back to PS Vue but even the $105 for the Apple TV alone is a great deal. It seems like their $35 package (which they say will go up to $60 after the intro period) has everything the $35 Vue package has and more. The one thing that stinks about Directv Now is that they don't have Roku support yet. Hopefully that changes soon.

No DVR is a deal breaker for me. I was all ready to sign up for PS Vue... called Mediacom to cancel my TV service (have to keep them for internet as I have no other option) and found out I'm about 1 year into a 2 year contract. My memory sucks:(

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
That sounds cool.

Guess I'm wondering what the benefit will be once that price increases? Looks like an inferior service for the same price.

Saving $300/yr is nothing to turn down with the offer for sure. But the benefits seem to stop there. If you get in at $60/mo it looks a lot like the price of cable
There isn't a benefit if it goes up but if Directv now keeps their word on being grandfathered in the $35 rate, it is a home run. Even if they do raise it later, $105 for 3 months of their 2nd best package and a free Apple TV is a grand slam.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
There isn't a benefit if it goes up but if Directv now keeps their word on being grandfathered in the $35 rate, it is a home run. Even if they do raise it later, $105 for 3 months of their 2nd best package and a free Apple TV is a grand slam.
I read an article (which I now cannot find) in which someone tallied up the fees charged by the various networks and said that DirecTV would make a grand total of ONE DOLLAR a month per subscriber at $35.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I read an article (which I now cannot find) in which someone tallied up the fees charged by the various networks and said that DirecTV would make a grand total of ONE DOLLAR a month per subscriber at $35.

I saw that too. I'll say, though, that'll soon change in their favor. I like this whole idea of streaming and getting rid of the traditional tv packages. I have 200ish channels and watch 10-15 of them. These companies make a killing off of sports fans. Plain and simple. My contract still has 18 months left, but once it's gone, I'm out. That said, even at $20/month over 18 months, that's $360, aka 4 months of Dish. I may move sooner on cutting the cord. Would save a boatload of money in the spring and summer.

Reactions: ruxCYtable

Help Support Us

Become a patron