Cutting the Cord

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
So PSVue now allows PC streaming. My work and CF will take a production hit out of me.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
To add my 2 cents - We cut the cord almost 2 months ago and I don't think we'll ever go back. I have nothing but positives to say about PS Vue and the $90 per month its saving me.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
We cut the cord and love it. We have a ps4, Fire Stick and Fire Tv. The fire stick blows, way too laggy on the UI, but plays shows fine. how is the Roku?
We're going to replace the stick, but didn't knows if we should get another fire tv or try a roku.

Reactions: cycloneworld

akellar

Nov 28, 2008
Stuart, IA
We cut the cord and love it. We have a ps4, Fire Stick and Fire Tv. The fire stick blows, way too laggy on the UI, but plays shows fine. how is the Roku?
We're going to replace the stick, but didn't knows if we should get another fire tv or try a roku.

The UI for Vue on the Roku is terrible, stick with Fire TV

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Tell you what...with PSVue now being on PCs...I'm seriously on board with getting out of mine as well. Although I do like supporting my local CO-OP. (Southslope)

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Tell you what...with PSVue now being on PCs...I'm seriously on board with getting out of mine as well. Although I do like supporting my local CO-OP. (Southslope)
Not all channels are available on PC, and they don't do a good job of telling you which ones...

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yah, I'll want to see that list before I make any decisions.

Do you still get to use Watchespn with Vue? or BTN2go?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006

If you are immersed in the amazon world, probably go fire tv, otherwise I would do Roku. Roku is pretty much better in every regard to Fire TV except for the interface of PS Vue. More apps, snappier, compatible with everything etc (Plus cyclones.tv app). I have to imagine they are working on a better interface for PS Vue to roll out though.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
PS Vue is now available on Apple TV 4. I will be switching from Sling so I will get all the ESPNs for ISU basketball. $35 a month.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Is PS Vue the only one that has DVR type service? And how does that work with Vue? No DVR is the one thing that's been holding me back from cutting the cord.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Is PS Vue the only one that has DVR type service? And how does that work with Vue? No DVR is the one thing that's been holding me back from cutting the cord.
I think so.

It's not great, especially if you are used to DTV. You can pause live tv, but only for 5 minutes. Some programs that you "record" won't let you fast forward. But some features are great. Like you can go back to early programs of a series because it basically utilizes On Demand. And some of those are commercial-free, or limited to one commercial only.

I'll take these few inconveniences for the money we save. Although DTV just offered me a year or two of my previous $125/month for $50/month, and then it would go up to $78 or something. It was tempting, but my wife is actually happier with PS Vue, which really surprised me.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

That is one of the negatives. There is a recording shows option but like stateofmind said, you have to watch commercials.

We really haven't used or missed it much because most shows you can watch on the TV channel's app or Hulu relatively easily.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think we are going to see many of these services go exclusive with various streaming providers. So to get everything you want, you might have to subscribe to 4-5 different services. How long until those bills start to add up?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron