Designated Survivor

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I am. I am intrigued by this concept for some reason. However, I feel that this show will have a short life span because I am not sure how you can expand it beyond a couple seasons. But we will see.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
So wait, the designated survivor is also in Washington D.C. during the speech? Seems like their plan would be crap if a nuclear warhead went off. I think Camp David would be a better location for such a person.

Last edited:

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Anyone else planning on watching this show?

Starts tonight on ABC at 9:00.

I'm looking forward to it. I used to watch The West Wing when it was on, and in the first season, there was an episode ("He Shall, From Time To Time...") where President Bartlet gave the State of the Union. Before leaving for the capitol, he had a conversation with the designated survivor. I always wondered what would happen if the unthinkable actually happened. Finally I'm getting my wish. It's just too bad that it isn't Aaron Sorkin doing the writing for this. But Jack Bauer as President should be lots of fun too.
There was a nice touch in the TWW episode. During the conversation, the President asked something like "Do you have best friend? Someone smarter than you? That you would trust with your life?" Yes. "That's your Chief of Staff." Leo could hear that conversation from his office, and I always loved that little touch. TWW was so great.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Anyone else planning on watching this show?

Starts tonight on ABC at 9:00.

Looking forward to this. Happy Kiefer is out of the Jack Bauer roll.

I am. I am intrigued by this concept for some reason. However, I feel that this show will have a short life span because I am not sure how you can expand it beyond a couple seasons. But we will see.

I guess the show name probably isn't good for a long running show, but I guessing, this just go into his presidency, and then an election and a continuation of his presidency if he was reelected.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
So wait, the designated survivor is also in Washington D.C. during the speech? Seems like their plan would be crap if a nuclear warhead went off. I think Camp David would be a better location for such a person.

Kaos always thinks of the most damaging scenarios. Time to get Max and 99 on the case - maybe even employ the Cone of Silence.

• Winner
Reactions: Gorm

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I guess the show name probably isn't good for a long running show, but I guessing, this just go into his presidency, and then an election and a continuation of his presidency if he was reelected.

You are probably right. I read somewhere that the synopsis is that Sutherlands character isn't much of a leader, but through politics made his way to a cabinet spot. From there, it will probably lead to what you said. The other possibility is that there is a conspiracy/secret society that planned this and its a fight against them.

On a side note, I sometimes wish some shows would just come out and say this series will last 3 years. I feel some shows would benefit from that due to the nature of the story. They try to drag some of these shows that sound like it should have an ending too far and goes to far away from the original reason people watched in the first place.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Great, give the bad guys some ideas. :jimlad: (even though it doesn't work anymore)

I'll watch it.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Do they really do this for State of the Union Addresses? My girlfriend asked me on Monday when they showed the trailer during half time, and I did not know the answer. It makes sense, but I have never heard of that before.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Do they really do this for State of the Union Addresses? My girlfriend asked me on Monday when they showed the trailer during half time, and I did not know the answer. It makes sense, but I have never heard of that before.

Yes they actually do this. Tom Vilsack talked about being the designated survivor once.

Here is a wikipedia post on the subject.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_survivor

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
You are probably right. I read somewhere that the synopsis is that Sutherlands character isn't much of a leader, but through politics made his way to a cabinet spot. From there, it will probably lead to what you said. The other possibility is that there is a conspiracy/secret society that planned this and its a fight against them.

On a side note, I sometimes wish some shows would just come out and say this series will last 3 years. I feel some shows would benefit from that due to the nature of the story. They try to drag some of these shows that sound like it should have an ending too far and goes to far away from the original reason people watched in the first place.

I agree, but the networks won't buy the shows till they know people are watching, and then once people are watching they keep buying episodes until they stop, and the writers dont' want to lose their paychecks so they just keep writing. That is what is cool about Amazon, Netflix and all that getting into the show making business, maybe for shows that need a timeline they will provided it. Not unlike what is happening with Game of Thrones.

Yes they do this. Need to keep someone alive in case of catastrophe.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yes. Usually a lower cabinet member.