So Now Who is Your Starting 5?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WesRuby

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2014
I am very interested in seeing who everyone has for their starting five. I keep hearing 'four guard lineup' and I'm curious as to where Burton will end up in the rotation. Much more depth this year that creates some interesting match ups. Thoughts?

Monte Morris
Matt Thomas
Naz Long
Deonte Burton
Merrill Holden

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
I like that. I also don't give NML the auto-start. He may be healthier, but needs to show his game is back to be back in the starting lineup.
Naz doesn't "need" to show/prove anyone anything to have a starting lineup spot. Having said that, he may be willing for better of the team to be a super 6th man ( ala Jaysean Paige)...

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
Naz doesn't "need" to show/prove anyone anything to have a starting lineup spot. Having said that, he may be willing for better of the team to be a super 6th man ( ala Jaysean Paige)...
I don't see how he gets gifted a spot with the high competition at guard spot. He should have a huge advantage with his experience, but that doesn't mean he can't be beat out especially if his game is still coming back.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Replace Burton with Bowie and you got it.

Dont see Deonte starting. He is way too erratic. He will come off the bench.

96Cyclone

Jan 2, 2015
Monte, Merrill, and Thomas. Then its open competition. Using Matt as a swing man of sorts it could be a 4 guard line up or a more traditional starting five. Deonte rounds out his game or a young forward steps up big. As for Naz, I don't know if he will start but if he returns to form he will be in the line up come clutch time. Clutch shooting we missed this past year.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It could be Morris, Naz, Thomas, Bowie, Holden IMO.

Burton first off the bench at 3-5. Jackson first off the bench 1-2.

Those 7 will probably play 90-95% of our minutes unless Young or Lard are just too good to keep off the floor.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Morris
Thomas
Mitrou-Long
Bowie
Merrill
---
Guard-heavy rotation (never fewer than three, sometimes four) with Jackson, Babb, and Long
Burton and another emergency post after that like Carter, Young, or Ernst

Reactions: isuforlife

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Monte
Donovan
Naz
Thomas
Holden

Don't get too concerned about a 4 guard lineup. Burton and Bowie will still get plenty of minutes, and Lard/Solomon Young will also see some minutes with Carter and possibly Ernst. It will be a fun team to watch.

storycy

Nov 4, 2014
Monte
Donovan
Naz
Thomas
Holden

Don't get too concerned about a 4 guard lineup. Burton and Bowie will still get plenty of minutes, and Lard/Solomon Young will also see some minutes with Carter and possibly Ernst. It will be a fun team to watch.
That lineup would get crushed on the glass.

• Agree
Reactions: NetflixAndClone

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
Burton is one of the most athletic players in the country and can do everything well at times and is a pure scorer. I may be in the minority but I think he's our leading scorer next year IF he's focused, motivated from his nba feedback, and learns to play team defense.
Monte
Jackson
Thomas
Burton
Holden

Naz, Babb and Bowie in rotation.

Reactions: isutrevman

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
Monte
Donovan
Naz
Thomas
Holden

I will put my money where my mouth is and state this will not be our B12 starting lineup...no way

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't see us playing a 4 guard lineup and I am not convinced Burton will start at PF. As others have mentioned he needs to develop focus and consistency to be a starter. Additionally, if Burton starts at PF he needs to show he can average 7ish rpg. I would be thrilled if Burton can take his game to the next level.

I think our best starting line-up and provides the best blend of offense,defense and rebounding would be:

PG Morris
CG Jackson
WG Thomas
PF Malou
PF Holden

The first guys off the bench are Mitou-Long at CG or WG, Burton at WG or PF and Bowie at PF. I see that as our core 8 with Babb getting minutes based on match-ups. I don't expect consistent minutes for Young, Lard or Carter- but they could surprise.

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
All of you who think that Naz will not be starting are INSANE! He is the heart and sole of this team and although his game might not be back to where it was pre-injury, he is the leader of this team and the chemistry wouldn't be the same without him starting with his brothers. I am willing to bet anything that he will be in the starting lineup.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Jackson will get plenty of minutes and the lineup is likely to evolve in various ways, but Naz starts to begin season, at least.

Thomas
Mitrou-Long
Thomas
Burton
Hoden
1st in: Jackson (for Naz/Thomas
2nd in: Bowie (for Burton/Holden)
(or 1st & 2nd could be in at same time as a routine early rotation).
3rd or 4th switch: Monte out & Jackson at main PG for X-minutes

This is assuming no Malou or unforeseen late immediate signee.

Last edited:

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
All of you who think that Naz will not be starting are INSANE! He is the heart and sole of this team and although his game might not be back to where it was pre-injury, he is the leader of this team and the chemistry wouldn't be the same without him starting with his brothers. I am willing to bet anything that he will be in the starting lineup.

Morris
Mitrou-Long
Thomas
Burton

These guys have been in the program for 3-5 years. Unless one of the newcomers is a flat out stud you can bank on them starting every single game of the year. If Malou is eligible he your last starter and that lineup is ridiculous on the offensive end. If not Holden is your guy.

I agree with the above poster though. 0% chance Naz doesn't start every single game. 0%. You ride that Morris Long Thomas combo til the end. They are the backbone of your program and they have earned that right. With 15+ pounds on Morris and an attack mentality along with the senior confidence "let it fly" mentality of Naz and Matt I am so Damn excited to watch that trio.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Dirt Boy 2