Equipment Sale

kcyclone

Sep 11, 2012
Do they announce the results from this? I'd be interested in seeing what sort of $$$ they brought in from the sale.

Reactions: cyfanatic13

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
Regarding hoarding, maybe a limit of 10 items. If you want more, go through the line again.

I wonder if a pre-checkout would expedite the process. Have someone figure the bill and take care of issues (too many jerseys, cost of football pants, etc.) and then send them to the cashier. If wifi is the problem and cannot be solved, have cash only next year.

I think there should have been two separate lines from the beginning for club/general public. Would have eliminated some of the confusion when the door opened. Also think allow only one person per membership. Not sure the justification for four per member.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
My wife and Father in Law attended. $655 spent. They knew what to expect and succeeded, but did say the check out was really bad. To my knowledge it's the first time this was done on the same day as the spring game so that might have increased the turn out. Something tells me ISU will make sure to have a smoother check out process in the future.

Lets just say I will never need to buy cyclone apparel ever again. Heaven help me if the logo changes. Had what they purchased been bought at Scheels, we'd be filing bankruptcy today. Great quality at a huge discount, I was impressed.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Regarding hoarding, maybe a limit of 10 items. If you want more, go through the line again.

I wonder if a pre-checkout would expedite the process. Have someone figure the bill and take care of issues (too many jerseys, cost of football pants, etc.) and then send them to the cashier. If wifi is the problem and cannot be solved, have cash only next year.

I think there should have been two separate lines from the beginning for club/general public. Would have eliminated some of the confusion when the door opened. Also think allow only one person per membership. Not sure the justification for four per member.

Perk of CC membership seems like a solid justification to me.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
My internet is a bit wonky/slow right now, but go to twitter.com/UVAEquipment (acct of their head equipment guy) if you want to see how Virginia's sale went this weekend (they're having another next weekend). Sounds like some similar issues w/ resellers and hoarders, but minimal complaints about check out processes. He responds to most tweets both complaining and complimenting the sale. Also one of his tweets indicates they hold these sales in-person because they aren't allowed to do it online...NCAA rule maybe? IDK. Auctions are probably a pain in the *** and few non-hoarders (aka average joe fan) can purchase if the price keeps going up in the auction.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
Perk of CC membership seems like a solid justification to me.

Why 4 per member? The people that jumped the line were claiming they were with someone in the line. The perk of membership is entry by the member. Show a membership card - you get in. No membership card - you go to the general public line. Just my opinion.

kcyclone

Sep 11, 2012
I was towards the front and wanted to get in & get out. I went for jerseys first and there wasn't much I was interested in. I grabbed a helmet before they were all gone and went back through to grab some hoodies. Part of me wished I spent more time browsing, but I'm glad I didn't spend a ton of time in line. Hopefully they can streamline this and make it something more people enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_4858.JPG
    IMG_4858.JPG
    917.4 KB · Views: 54

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Why 4 per member? The people that jumped the line were claiming they were with someone in the line. The perk of membership is entry by the member. Show a membership card - you get in. No membership card - you go to the general public line. Just my opinion.

I bet you were really mad when the letterwinners got to get in an hour before the general public.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I got in line at 10am (still had to wait in line with a membership, didn't walk right in). By the time I got up there they had separated the line but maybe hadn't done that right away.

I am fine with 3-4 per membership. How else do you get a family/couple in? I went by myself, but ended up sorting stuff by a family. The son went straight for a helmet and the parents grabbed other stuff. It is not very efficient to go in as a single person. What didn't make sense is they sent an email to members and said "bring your membership card or this email". No one to stop you from making 50 copies of the email and handing them out. I get they needed to have a way for people who did not yet have physical membership cards.

By the end (after 1pm) they did have people start tallying what they had and just went up with a nber for each item. When I checked out it was a guy adding my things on his iPhone and then running a total through a hand held card reader.

I do like the idea of an express checkout if you had fewer than 10 items.

The sale has almost always been in conjunction with the spring game. And IIRC, it was also VEISHEA. If you had other things going on like the parade and campus activities, you may not have that number of people there.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Few things...

It sounds like through all the complaints people will go back. There is no incentive to improve a product for a captive audience if they continue to partake.

What if "collectible items" like jerseys and helmets were a separate check-out line so people going for that didn't have to wait for all the other junk people were buying.

Finally, and this would increase work, but have racks like a normal store. Piles of multi-sized clothing on table kind of forces people to grab an item, check it, and throw it haphazardly back onto the table. Think of the candy bins at Walmart - racks of candy is more organized than the discount bins up front. It might save time and mess and frustration if each item had its own area.

Some of the accounts of the sale seem pretty exaggerated.

Agree. These times are verified by text messages I sent my wife.

I got in the donor line at 9:45 and into the building around 10:10. Got a jersey at 10:20 and checkout out at 11:00.

All told it was 1:15 from getting in line to walking back outside. Not too bad for a jersey and some brand new sweats.

Last edited:

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
I am fine with 3-4 per membership. How else do you get a family/couple in? I went by myself, but ended up sorting stuff by a family. The son went straight for a helmet and the parents grabbed other stuff. It is not very efficient to go in as a single person. What didn't make sense is they sent an email to members and said "bring your membership card or this email". No one to stop you from making 50 copies of the email and handing them out. I get they needed to have a way for people who did not yet have physical membership cards.

This is what I told my dad. I just showed the lady the e-mail on my phone, but she didn't have any way of knowing if I was actually a member of the Cyclone Club.

I showed up at 9:20 and was probably in the 80-100 range for the early entries. I'm glad I joined the CC as I got most of what I wanted. What I thought was funny was when there was only one line and a guy came out to start forming two lines, there were people hurrying from behind me to get in the newly formed line thinking it would be the line that got in early. Hope they were able to get their spot back in line.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
i was in a line on the south side and the guy yelled out "cash only" and half the people left. maybe that's why mine went quicker.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
I bet you were really mad when the letterwinners got to get in an hour before the general public.

No. Letterwinners/former athletes are our "veterans" and deserve any perks they get.

I was one of the early Club members in the door. I am not really mad about anything. In fact, I emailed the AD to thank them for this opportunity (I knew they were going to get a bunch of complaints.)

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
No. Letterwinners/former athletes are our "veterans" and deserve any perks they get.

I was one of the early Club members in the door. I am not really mad about anything. In fact, I emailed the AD to thank them for this opportunity (I knew they were going to get a bunch of complaints.)

I was just giving you crap, I didn't think you were mad.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Some of the accounts of the sale seem pretty exaggerated.

After I fought my way into the building I was caught pinned against a table just grasping for whatever I could get my hands on and in the cardinal colored crush I was able to grab an item. I couldn't see what it was in the pandemonium and as I hoisted it up over my head two other animals tried to rip it from my hands to put into their garbage bags.

So there I am punching this one guy and kicking this other guy. After what felt like an eternity I finally pulled free of them and then (and only then) did I first lay eyes on the tattered remains of what used to be a women's tennis jersey.

Or I walked in at 10 and bought what I came for (helmet, jacket, pair of shoes) and waited in line. The line sucked but it was it was. They could have had more cashiers obviously but I just don't think anyone could have anticipated the size of the crowd. Good for Iowa State Athletics that much demand exists.

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
If anyone has an extra matte helmet they are willing to sell, please PM me. I don't live in IA anymore so couldn't make the sale, but would love to get one! Willing to pay more than purchase price for one!

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Here is my account of the equipment sale:

Sixty seconds. That's how long we're required to stand on our metal circles before the sound of a gong releases us. Step off before the minute is up, and land mines blow your legs off. Sixty seconds to take in the ring of tributes all equidistant from the Cornucopia, a giant golden horn shaped like a cone with a curved tail, the mouth of which is at least twenty feet high, spilling over with the things that will give us life here in the arena. Food, containers of water, weapons, medicine, garments, fire starters. Strewn around the Cornucopia are other supplies, their value decreasing the farther they are from the horn. For instance, only a few steps from my feet lies a three-foot square of plastic. Certainly it could be of some use in a downpour. But there in the mouth, I can see a tent pack that would protect from almost any sort of weather. If I had the guts to go in and fight for it against the other twenty-three tributes. Which I have been instructed not to do.

We're on a flat, open stretch of ground. A plain of hard-packed dirt. Behind the tributes across from me, I can see nothing, indicating either a steep downward slope or even a cliff. To my right lies a lake. To my left and back, sparse piney woods. This is where Haymitch would want me to go. Immediately.

I hear his instructions in my head. "Just clear out, put as much distance as you can between yourselves and the others, and find a source of water."

But it's tempting, so tempting, when I see the bounty waiting there before me. And I know that if I don't get it, someone else will. That the Career Tributes who survive the bloodbath will divide up most of these life-sustaining spoils. Something catches my eye. There, resting on a mound of blanket rolls, is a silver sheath of arrows and a bow, already strung, just waiting to be engaged. That's mine, I think. It's meant for me.

I'm fast. I can sprint faster than any of the girls in our school, although a couple can beat me in distance races. But this forty-yard length, this is what I am built for. I know I can get it, I know I can reach it first, but then the question is how quickly can I get out of there? By the time I've scrambled up the packs and grabbed the weapons, others will have reached the horn, and one or two I might be able to pick off, but say there's a dozen, at that close range, they could take me down with the spears and the clubs. Or their own powerful fists. Still, I won't be the only target. I'm betting many of the other tributes would pass up a smaller girl, even one who scored an eleven in training, to take out their more fierce adversaries.

Haymitch has never seen me run. Maybe if he had he'd tell me to go for it. Get the weapon. Since that's the very weapon that might be my salvation. And I only see one bow in that whole pile. I know the minute must be almost up and will have to decide what my strategy will be and I find myself positioning my feet to run, not away into the surrounding forests but toward the pile, toward the bow. When suddenly I notice Peeta, he's about five tributes to my right, quite a fair distance, still I can tell he's looking at me and I think he might be shaking his head. But the sun's in my eyes, and while I'm puzzling over it the gong rings out.

And I've missed it! I've missed my chance! Because those extra couple of seconds I've lost by not being ready are enough to change my mind about going in. My feet shuffle for a moment, confused at the direction my brain wants to take and then I lunge forward, scoop up the sheet of plastic and a loaf of bread. The pickings are so small and I'm so angry with Peeta for distracting me that I sprint in twenty yards to retrieve a bright orange backpack that could hold anything because I can't stand leaving with virtually nothing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron