Equipment Sale

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
Or for those that just graduated and haven't gotten the nice cushy jobs yet, or the blue collar fans that can't afford to out bid the big money people they could staff the event, the way that it should be staffed, to ensure people aren't hoarding things for others that get in later.

The blame falls on the bookstore. If they do their job of staffing and running this event correctly, then it would be a great experience for everyone. Just my two cents

I feel sorry for this poor person

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Or for those that just graduated and haven't gotten the nice cushy jobs yet, or the blue collar fans that can't afford to out bid the big money people they could staff the event, the way that it should be staffed, to ensure people aren't hoarding things for others that get in later.

The blame falls on the bookstore. If they do their job of staffing and running this event correctly, then it would be a great experience for everyone. Just my two cents

I highly doubt a lot of big time donors are concerned with a helmet. If they want one, I bet they can get one. Staffing the event isn't going to fix the hoarding issue either. People are still going to do it, they will just have to hold stuff for less time.

JarLar

Mar 6, 2016
Ames
I found Mangino's polo, which was cool and all, but he still hasn't responded to my tweet imploring whether he'd buy it off me. :smile: Also found Stensland's jersey, and a #1 football jersey all after 1PM.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The sale was run through Cy's Locker Room, not the bookstore. They ended up going up to Hilton to grab more hand held credit card readers which helped speed up the process some (way too late).

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
I highly doubt a lot of big time donors are concerned with a helmet. If they want one, I bet they can get one. Staffing the event isn't going to fix the hoarding issue either. People are still going to do it, they will just have to hold stuff for less time.

lol by big money I didn't mean the BIG money people.

And no reason to feel sorry for me Swirlybird, I wasn't in Ames for it, and if I was I wouldn't have stood in that line to get some cheap whatever. I've just heard from a few others that were there that were disappointed in how it was run and seeing the way people acted. If that's bad oh well.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I got SDWs gold jersey. Not sure it was worth the 2.5 hr wait in line though

Glad you made it to check out...there is no way I was going to wait that long for a Jersey that was too small.

Hi from the tall lady right behind you.

We were in the public line, I got in line about 5 minutes before we were sorted. My husband's a bigger guy, and living in SE Iowa, it's hard enough to find just Iowa State stuff. So we...or I...had a bigger incentive to stick in line. My sizes were pretty much gone when we got in. If I had the chance to look after people cast stuff off, I might of found some things. (Wouldn't leave the line) Overall, very happy to leave with three t-shirts, a polo, and a lightweight jacket for less than what a polo costs at full price. Plus, no tax. I saw some snarkiness in line, but not while trying to find stuff.

Now the "bad"...
I got in the credit line at 10:50, walked out at 1:39. Yes, they needed more registers. They should have realized that at 9:45 when they looked at the line(s) snaking down the west side of the stadium, and taken action right then and there. Three big suggestions for next time that would make sense would be: 1)Express lines! If you have 8 or less items, and not a big box of stuff, use that line. (That would have to be strictly enforced, obviously) 2) Have a "point of no return" where they inventory your box of what you have, and that's what you get...no adding stuff. Makes the cashier's life easier. 3) Have a more detailed price list. Lady in front of me had two pairs of those "cushioned" shorts that football players wear under their pants. They weren't listed. I said they couldn't be more than $15. Also, they didn't have listed any of the jerseys that weren't basketball or football. The volleyball jerseys looked nice, but how much were they?

Yes, I will do it again next year...but we'll join the Cyclone Club, and we're bringing cash. (And maybe a reusable bag. My arms are actually sore from holding five items for close to three hours)

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Comments on the day. As a Cyclone Club member got in early but was still a third of the way from the front and all the hot items were gone by the time I got in. They needed to use more of the building, had a clinic for kids going on also so that took up room that could have been used to space out tables and allowed more room for checkout. They did need more checkouts but not sure if the building is set up for very many credit card stations. You need data lines to handle more checkouts doing cards. Could of had more CASH only lines though. I like the idea of an 8 or less line as I had 4 items and it took me 30 minutes to checkout. Was behind a father and son who the dad had 3 items and the son had had 10 and had to give the dad part if them as he had more jerseys then were allowed.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Did anyone that went happen to pick up an extra pair of the I-State Logo Receiver Gloves? My 10 year old son has been wanting a pair since he first saw them, and I didn't even think about them possibly being available at the sale. Let me know if you'd be willing to part with them, and for how much.

Thanks!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hi from the tall lady right behind you.

We were in the public line, I got in line about 5 minutes before we were sorted. My husband's a bigger guy, and living in SE Iowa, it's hard enough to find just Iowa State stuff. So we...or I...had a bigger incentive to stick in line. My sizes were pretty much gone when we got in. If I had the chance to look after people cast stuff off, I might of found some things. (Wouldn't leave the line) Overall, very happy to leave with three t-shirts, a polo, and a lightweight jacket for less than what a polo costs at full price. Plus, no tax. I saw some snarkiness in line, but not while trying to find stuff.

Now the "bad"...
I got in the credit line at 10:50, walked out at 1:39. Yes, they needed more registers. They should have realized that at 9:45 when they looked at the line(s) snaking down the west side of the stadium, and taken action right then and there. Three big suggestions for next time that would make sense would be: 1)Express lines! If you have 8 or less items, and not a big box of stuff, use that line. (That would have to be strictly enforced, obviously) 2) Have a "point of no return" where they inventory your box of what you have, and that's what you get...no adding stuff. Makes the cashier's life easier. 3) Have a more detailed price list. Lady in front of me had two pairs of those "cushioned" shorts that football players wear under their pants. They weren't listed. I said they couldn't be more than $15. Also, they didn't have listed any of the jerseys that weren't basketball or football. The volleyball jerseys looked nice, but how much were they?

Yes, I will do it again next year...but we'll join the Cyclone Club, and we're bringing cash. (And maybe a reusable bag. My arms are actually sore from holding five items for close to three hours)

Should have let me known you were there. I had room to squeeze 2 more in under my card and gotten you in early.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
We went 2 hours ealry and got everything we wanted plus more, I agree with others, it was caos but I knew it would be. My only complaint is how long it took to check out.

20160417_145925.jpg

20160417_134336.jpg

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
If anybody is selling mens basketball shorts in XL I'd be interested in buying them. Please pm me.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The check out problems were not solely due to lack of cashiers. It was also wifi/cell signal armageddon - once everyone got in line and started messing with their phones and the connectivity went to pot. It took 4 minutes for my credit card to go from swipe to approved, longer than it took for her to ring up the ~30 items we had. Our cashier said the first few people had no problem, but after everyone lined up to check out the signal got super slow. It would have been easily less than half the time without that problem. But yeah more cashiers is also a no brainer. As much as they pimped this thing out, they should have expected a metric tonne of people and planned accordingly.

We waited 2 hours in line, but actually had a decent time in line talking to folks. A former o-lineman was behind us, and he dished big time on how much he loved McCarney but HATED Chizek. A guy walked up and gave us a helmet (we already had one) but we decided to give it to the guy next to us. He hadn't got in early enough to get one, but he got one. A younger guy stood with us for 90 minutes, then finally gave up and gave all his stuff to the guy we gave the helmet to - they were the same size. So for being a total cluster, hanging with decent folks made it tolerable.

I felt bad for the folks in line who were not CC members and got moved back and had to wait. But the rules were pretty clearly stated. It wasn't as bad as others have said here - it was not Black Friday. We had more people sharing and trading stuff with us, and I didn't see anyone grabbing or hoarding.

Ended up with a shiny helmet with #32 on the back... I can hope it was Woody's anyway. Also a gold Percy Gibson jersey with the black JO patch, a red #33 bball jersey with no name but probably Ellerman's, and a metric ton of misc stuff. $15 jackets with the tags still on them? $10 duffel bags? $5 UA shirts? Sign me up, we kinda went nuts and bought a lot of stuff. It helps that the wife is 6'3" and her brother and his kids are all super tall too, so the odd sizes aren't a big problem. So we got stuff for them, and us and our kids too.

SaraV - I think vball jerseys were $10 or $15, we got two for gifts. Those are super cool looking I have to say.

LowOverhead

Jun 15, 2015
Was SE Iowa
I wish I'd been thinking, I would have offered the students in line behind me a gratuity to purchase my pickin's and deliver them to my car. Instead I dropped what I had and headed to the game after being in a near motionless cashier line.

At least after the initial two hours of the event, they turned on the ventilation fans.

I think the equipment managers did a fine job arranging the surplus.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
They definitely do need to revisit the check out process from what I saw.

I came in late and did find a couple bball jersey (Okoro, Law, Sledge) and thought about getting one as it was authentic...but then saw the line not moving and didn't think it was worth $75 a piece...so I left. I would have bought a couple pairs of football pants for the heck of it (those are the one item that really didn't seem to move)...but then it certainly wasn't worth the wait to sit in line for a couple hours for $10 worth of pants.

I like to solve problems that aren't mine to solve...and I just can't seem to figure out what would be "the best" way to do something like this. I like the idea of doing some online system of selling game jerseys (not even auction....maybe a set price lottery type of thing...or heck, do an auction) as it seems that is the thing that must make people go ape ***** and grab a bunch of stuff. The other stuff...I don't know...because it seems it just becomes a flurry of crap thrown all over.

AmCyFan

Nov 14, 2014
Felt kind of bad for the people who camped out as those with memberships just showed up 20 minutes before the doors opened and strolled right in. I was one of the first 20 in and the helmets are half gone by the time I got to them, the rest gone in the next minute. Crazy stuff.

My son, ISU student, was in line at 8:30 and right up near the front. It just seemed wrong when the members went in first without waiting in line. He saw them just putting whole tables of stuff in trash bags; takes the fun out of it. He and his friends waited in the cash line for 2+ hours to check out. Ridiculous.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron