Equipment Sale

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
CgLJBlHVIAAcOjC.jpg

I think that is my bald head in the lower corner.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Spent like 2.5 hours standing in line. I can't believe they only had one cashier. Pretty poorly planned event.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
We left home at 6:00. Got in line at 8:20. Got in around 10:05. Got out by 10:20.

They had two credit and one cash-only cashiers when I checked out.

My haul: Matte helmet, duffle bag, heavy coat, light coat, windbreaker, bag of Nike socks, and 4 t-shirts.

Experience was not too bad, though I am not sure I'd do it again.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
We left home at 6:00. Got in line at 8:20. Got in around 10:05. Got out by 10:20.

They had two credit and one cash-only cashiers when I checked out.

My haul: Matte helmet, duffle bag, heavy coat, light coat, windbreaker, bag of Nike socks, and 4 t-shirts.

Experience was not too bad, though I am not sure I'd do it again.

How did people get all that stuff without just grabbing a stack and sorting it later?

I saw tons of people with arms loaded going through stuff one by one along the wall. One time I went to a guy and e screamed at me to get away from his stuff. The only thing people couldn't hoard was shoes and unfortunately I'm not a size 15.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
How did people get all that stuff without just grabbing a stack and sorting it later?

I saw tons of people with arms loaded going through stuff one by one along the wall. One time I went to a guy and e screamed at me to get away from his stuff. The only thing people couldn't hoard was shoes and unfortunately I'm not a size 15.

I was around nice people, I ended up with a couple of nice cast offs from them.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Well, that was wild. Got in line at 9, whoever said that members showed up and walked right in at 10 was off. We were just on the ramp after they split lines. Met some new people. Did the inventory thing and the lady apparently added a few things to my list and probably over paid 50 bucks. Also a couple things ended up missing somehow after inventory.

Outside of 2 FB jerseys, spent $250. Got close to $1000 of clothes and such. Many with tags still attached. Got in line at 10:20 and finished about 1-1:30. One nice father/daughter duo even gave me a water. Was much appreciated.

CyFan03

Jun 5, 2010
Ames
Had a helmet in hand. Browsed for about 20 minutes and got in line. After 25 more minutes I hadn't moved more than 3 steps. I had a good 100 steps to go. Gave up and gave someone a nice gift of a helmet. Oh well.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
The troubling part is that they have had issues staffing enough checkout people many times at this event in the past, and still apparently haven't figured it out. They know hundreds will show for the sale, especially since it's only held every few years. People grabbing arm loads, sorting, then leaving stuff everywhere isn't really something they can control too much. Only have 3 registers (from reports) for several hundred people in an event that only lasts a few hours is ridiculous and I would think an easy problem to solve.

Edit: I believe ISU Bookstore is in charge of the checkout process. The AD has oversight and the equipment staff provides the goods, but IIRC this is a Bookstore issue.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I arrived really early, so I was able to get the main item I've wanted for years - a gold men's basketball jersey. I was pretty pumped. Also grabbed a few other items. Met some good people and had some laughs. However, it was a cluster. Took wayyyyy too long to check out.

They may also want to consider staffing a person next to each rack of the jerseys and helmets to enforce the limit of 2 per person on those "special" items. Quite a few were taking heaps of the stuff and holding onto it until their other friends got in there later. First come first served is supposed to be how it works. People that show up the earliest should get the best stuff. Not people who show up late and have a mule gather supplies for them. Just my two cents - coming from a person that was there very early and got his "prize." I saw some really bummed people that were there right away but missed the helmets or jersey of choice because someone else took like 10. Oh well.

Also agree that it was a slap in the face to see people wait since the break of dawn or whatever but then people arrived like 20 minutes prior to door opening and barged right in at the door. They may want to put up some guardrails or something or have Demond Tucker monitor the line haha

Overall, it was an experience I will not forget (for better and worse).

Conductorclone

Aug 25, 2013
Felt kind of bad for the people who camped out as those with memberships just showed up 20 minutes before the doors opened and strolled right in. I was one of the first 20 in and the helmets are half gone by the time I got to them, the rest gone in the next minute. Crazy stuff.

Were you part of the group of Cool Guys who cut in around the semi trailer in front of people with memberships and were waiting in line like civilized people to get into the sale? Hope you found what you came for.

Last edited:

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
The guy in the Cubs jacket got BDJ'S gold jersey. Seemed like a nice guy.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think they should auction off the special items like they did the Trice jerseys. Auction helmets and jerseys. If they want to do this for the clothing, fine but they'd make way more money on the jerseys and helmets this way and you wouldn't have people hoarding things like a bunch of ********.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I think they should auction off the special items like they did the Trice jerseys. Auction helmets and jerseys. If they want to do this for the clothing, fine but they'd make way more money on the jerseys and helmets this way and you wouldn't have people hoarding things like a bunch of ********.

Agree 100%.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX

Or for those that just graduated and haven't gotten the nice cushy jobs yet, or the blue collar fans that can't afford to out bid the big money people they could staff the event, the way that it should be staffed, to ensure people aren't hoarding things for others that get in later.

The blame falls on the bookstore. If they do their job of staffing and running this event correctly, then it would be a great experience for everyone. Just my two cents

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron