Cutting the Cord

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
I am looking to cut my Directv cable and go with just basic cable along with Apple TV and possibly Sling TV. Just looking for general advice about the options and if any one knows of a good way to DVR the cable without a subscription. There are a few options out there but if any of you have tried it any advice would be great. Thanks.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
cut back in February. Have over the air stuff only, Haven't really missed it. Haven't signed up for Netflix/Sling TV or any of that yet. Usually just watch episodes of what we want a couple days later and then we can pause/forward/whatever as we like.

• Dislike
Reactions: isutoad

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I thought this was about a parent cutting of their kid financially

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I would love to do this, but my wife would freak out if she couldn't watch whatever reality show drivel is popular right now on the (former) discovery channel.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Really looking at cutting DirecTV right now as well. The drivel they call TV now certainly isn't worth $110 / month. Especially when 1/3 of that is fees to rent their equipment every month. The problem that I have is that we can't get any decent internet where we live. Considered just going to old school Netflix on CD. Also considered switching to Dish but looking at their programming packages and don't like the combinations they put together and would be about the same amount in two years. I'm just tired of paying for ESPN crap and don't need it until fall again. They ****** me off this year with the CFP playoffs and $EC promo all day long.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I would like to cut DirecTV but I'd need a reliable streaming carrier for all the live sports I watch, and so far I haven't seen a service that would be a suitable replacement. Also still need DVR capabilities so I can avoid commercials like I do now.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Cable and dish networks prey upon senior citizens and sports addicts. Use your computer. That's the future. Death to Mediacom. We can't kill big cable fast enough.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I have had a standalone DVR for many years now. I'm currently on this one
http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR557H-F7-1Terabyte-Recorder/dp/B00JQOQCD0

They are getting less and less available out there. But it works for anything OTA, and any unecrypted cable tv signal. The only saving grace for Mediacom is that they typically don't encrypt their basic cable. This box won't let you record the premium stuff, or anything on demand.

There are ways to do that type of stuff, but you are entering the HTPC realm, which is considerably more expensive and time consuming.

You can also buy a Tivo, and buy the lifetime subscription, which works out okay for people.

The on I linked essentially works like an old school VCR, but with a hard drive to record on. As in, you set it to record every Tuesday at 6:30 pm, and it does. It doesn't know if the episode is new, or if it is delayed by a previous event or political speech.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I have had a standalone DVR for many years now. I'm currently on this one
http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR557H-F7-1Terabyte-Recorder/dp/B00JQOQCD0

They are getting less and less available out there. But it works for anything OTA, and any unecrypted cable tv signal. The only saving grace for Mediacom is that they typically don't encrypt their basic cable. This box won't let you record the premium stuff, or anything on demand.

There are ways to do that type of stuff, but you are entering the HTPC realm, which is considerably more expensive and time consuming.

You can also buy a Tivo, and buy the lifetime subscription, which works out okay for people.

The on I linked essentially works like an old school VCR, but with a hard drive to record on. As in, you set it to record every Tuesday at 6:30 pm, and it does. It doesn't know if the episode is new, or if it is delayed by a previous event or political speech.

The promise of Android TV last year was it could take in channels from multiple sources (OTA from antenna, channels via streaming like sling tv, directv/dish, mediacom, etc) and coalesce them into one package like your standard TV guide.

I don't think it ever really worked like that in practice, but google's conference where they demo the newest versions of everything is taking place in a couple weeks, so maybe things work better now.

Ideally you'd just have something like an android tv box, plug in your antenna and connect it to the internet (with slingtv), and just use those two to get the channels you want along with the local ones. Hopefully you'd also be able to plug in a hard-drive to use it as a DVR as well.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I would like to cut DirecTV but I'd need a reliable streaming carrier for all the live sports I watch, and so far I haven't seen a service that would be a suitable replacement. Also still need DVR capabilities so I can avoid commercials like I do now.

This is where I'm at. We could easily rely on Netflix and Hulu but not when it comes to sports.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
The promise of Android TV last year was it could take in channels from multiple sources (OTA from antenna, channels via streaming like sling tv, directv/dish, mediacom, etc) and coalesce them into one package like your standard TV guide.

I don't think it ever really worked like that in practice, but google's conference where they demo the newest versions of everything is taking place in a couple weeks, so maybe things work better now.

Ideally you'd just have something like an android tv box, plug in your antenna and connect it to the internet (with slingtv), and just use those two to get the channels you want along with the local ones. Hopefully you'd also be able to plug in a hard-drive to use it as a DVR as well.

Agreed, AndroidTV could be exciting. I've been following the SiliconDust HDHomeRun DVR. I think it has some promise, especially if a lot of the rumors hold true about copy protected content and such. :yes:

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
We cut the cord a little over 2 years ago and will likely never go back. I have a watch ESPN login from the rental property we own, so that covers most of my sports needs. I have a tough time getting Fox Sports broadcasts in the fall for football but haven't missed much there....
I used a DVDR for a little while. It worked OK, but it was a bit clumsy. We don't use it much at all anymore because most network shows are online a couple days after airing.
We also have Netflix.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Same here. Did not intially open cause I don't know nothing about birthin' no babies.

Love me some Butterfly McQueen!

200_s.gif

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
Agreed, AndroidTV could be exciting. I've been following the SiliconDust HDHomeRun DVR. I think it has some promise, especially if a lot of the rumors hold true about copy protected content and such. :yes:

I have run a HHR Prime 3 in conjunction with mythtv for about 2 years. No complaints other than that my cheap (seagate) hard drive just died after 3 years of use. I pay nothing to comcast for any hardware. I own my own modem, router, and dvr. I can copy whatever I want onto to any device I want. I technically could automate the commercial cutting as well, but it isn't always accurate. I also run Kodi as a front end on everything. Let me know if you have any questions.

Also, what rumors?

Last edited:

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I would like to go off the grid, but I cannot get anything but satellite internet where I live, so that sucks.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I'm seriously debating this as well via SlingTV or using WatchESPN/Fox Sports Go/NBC Sports login. You can also re-route MLB.tv to avoid blackouts via a VPN.

My question for those who do this, how much streaming content can you watch until you reach your data cap? I'm moving to an area that only has CenturyLink and their cap is 250GB a month.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I have run a HHR Prime 3 in conjunction with mythtv for about 2 years. No complaints other than that my cheap (seagate) hard drive just died after 3 years of use. I pay nothing to comcast for any hardware. I own my own modem, router, and dvr. I can copy whatever I want onto to any device I want. I technically could automate the commercial cutting as well, but it isn't always accurate. I also run Kodi as a front end on everything. Let me know if you have any questions.

I don't have cable TV, so am just curious...has Comcast gone all-digital in your area yet? If they have, does your setup still work?

I have TWC for Internet, and even though I don't have cable TV, I've gotten a couple of letters in the mail from TWC indicating that they are going all-digital for TV, and this switch will require new equipment from TWC in order for TV to continue working after the switch. Comcast is also in the process of going all digital.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron