Good Surveillance Equipment

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
So I just moved into a home outside of town and have a number of outbuildings that don't have locks, etc., on them. I have been thinking about this for a few days and after reading the night prowler thread I have decided to purchase some surveillance equipment for not only my house, but also my outbuildings.

With that said, it doesn't need to be anything too fancy, just something that works at night and can be easily mounted and set up. I am not a techy by any means.

TIA

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
If you are out in the country, game cameras would probably be the best option for you.

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
Not being a smart butt, but why not just put locks on the buildings?

I am in the process of putting locks on them (should have been more clear). But I am also hoping to put surveillance in. We both are gone quite a bit with our jobs, and don't have neighbors that are close to us, so it wouldn't be hard for someone to break the locks/kick the doors in. Then I'd have to replace the lock/door and still not have any idea who did it.

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
I looked at that thread (and referenced it in my post) I looked into the dropcam, but $199 plus $99 a year for cloud is too rich for my blood. I was looking more for a set up of 6 or so cameras.

That you did - my bad!

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
I'd second the game camera suggestion.

I thought about this too. However, not being much of a hunter, does the camera keep going off anytime the thing in front of the camera moves? I am worried that it would go off right when the person stepped in front of it and only get a picture of the back of their head, instead of continuing to record and get a better picture.

Also, if the person sees the camera, can't they just pull the chip (or whatever you call it) and then I've got nothing, versus a surveillance camera where the video is stored somewhere else/on a cloud.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
I thought about this too. However, not being much of a hunter, does the camera keep going off anytime the thing in front of the camera moves? I am worried that it would go off right when the person stepped in front of it and only get a picture of the back of their head, instead of continuing to record and get a better picture.

Also, if the person sees the camera, can't they just pull the chip (or whatever you call it) and then I've got nothing, versus a surveillance camera where the video is stored somewhere else/on a cloud.

How good is your Internet where you live and how much bandwidth do you get?

isu22andy

Sep 17, 2012
I'd second the game camera suggestion.
I don't think this is the best option unless you want to see yourself pulling in and out of your acreage everyday and like swapping cards. They do make cameras that send pictures to your email but they are upwards of 400 dollars AND require a SIM card with a texting plan - I just swap the SD cards on mine. I run three cameras for deer and they are constantly taking pictures of trees blowing and birds flying and they do this all night and day ect ect.

I do run them on the highest sensitivity and on a three shot burst but even then sometimes you get bad angles of deer when they are in fast motion. Also they are easy to steal off wherever you hang them unless you hang them higher than you can reach (which would make a PIA to check) .

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Foscam makes some decent cams and are affordable.