Soldier Field Turf - Why?

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
So on the why home today I was listening to the local ESPN station and they were talking to their Bears beat reporter, he was on the field. They asked the condition of the field. He said it was excellent. And then they went on to say that they would be putting new sod down before the regular season starts. My questions is why? I understand that Soldier field gets considerably more use than Jack Trice, but pretty sure ISU never puts new sod down, or if they do they would do it early in the spring.

I don't understand the city and the Bears thinking on this. Why they won't just go field turf, I don't understand, or higher someone that can actually take care of field.

Oh and i just happened to turn the game on to watch a Jacksonville's running back slip down.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Chicago park district has the contract to do it andhas for a long time. Chicago politics.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Chicago park district has the contract to do it andhas for a long time. Chicago politics.

It not really they have the contract they own the stadium. Which I get, per the McCaskey's they believe grass is safer than field turf and they have say on what is done with the turf. Which maybe that is true if the turf is good, but soldier field looks like crap after the second came of the season every year.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
It not really they have the contract they own the stadium. Which I get, per the McCaskey's they believe grass is safer than field turf and they have say on what is done with the turf. Which maybe that is true if the turf is good, but soldier field looks like crap after the second came of the season every year.
You answered you're original question right there....Once the colder/rainy weather hits it, it makes me wonder if William Wallace and the rest of the Scottish rebellion are going to come out and battle in the highlands....

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
You answered you're original question right there....Once the colder/rainy weather hits it, it makes me wonder if William Wallace and the rest of the Scottish rebellion are going to come out and battle in the highlands....

i feel like that's exactly what chicago bears football is supposed to look like!

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

It is horrible. Northwester's field is never that bad, and the weather hear is no different than Iowa. Can't imagine anyone enjoys playing in that mud bog.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
The turf is will be in poor condition every year by design. It's what the Bears want, sort of like how the Vikings want purple cartoon uniforms, the Packers want sexually ambiguous quarterbacks and the Lions want to mentally/physically collapse before the playoffs.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
The turf is will be in poor condition every year by design. It's what the Bears want, sort of like how the Vikings want purple cartoon uniforms, the Packers want sexually ambiguous quarterbacks and the Lions want to mentally/physically collapse before the playoffs.
Really?
PreviewScreenSnapz060.png
Exhibit A

2008+ESPY+Awards+Backstage+Audience+2m96OtsyU39x.jpg
Exhibit B

Your other points are spot on however....

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I have always thought they could do a better job with the real turf they have. There is really no reason if falls apart so bad.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I thought this thread was going to be about some of this....

I have a square of that old turf. Playing on that stuff was almost a crime against humanity

Field turf sucks to watch ball on. Football is meant to be played in the elements and on a field that stains the uniform. Ground up tires under a roof is chicken ****

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

The Vikings can't get tbe helmet to remotely match their jerseys. They are painful to watch because of the horrible play. At least get a color set that matches

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Damn, well I wish I was as good lookin as those trannys then.

39VS