Morris article

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
OK, to take the homer glasses off, what about this quote:

Hoiberg certainly had a rebuilding job when he began this current season, and that job will be tenfold in 2014-15.

I mean, yeah, on the surface, when you figure Ejim and Kane gone, that's big, but it's not like we're in the schitter, right?

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

I mean, yeah, on the surface, when you figure Ejim and Kane gone, that's big, but it's not like we're in the schitter, right?

IMO it's the same **** every year. Analysts know a little bit about the McDonald's All Americans and what not, but they don't know much else. To them, yeah there's Abdel Nader who averaged 14 points/game at NIU for one year. They have no clue if and how good he is. Same with McKay and whomever else.

I honestly almost never listen to pre-season talk for that type of **** because most of the stuff they say is off. They do get a few teams right, but outside of a team being stacked like Kentucky - they haven't a ******* clue IMO.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

I knew it was going to be great when the opening line was:

"Next season will be a unique one for Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg — it will be the first year the offense will be orchestrated by a guard recruited to Ames by Hoiberg"

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

I knew it was going to be great when the opening line was:

"Next season will be a unique one for Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg — it will be the first year the offense will be orchestrated by a guard recruited to Ames by Hoiberg"

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

No, ISU has 7 players it can go to right now, and I'm not even counting a guy who started in NCAA for them (or two others that played) and I'm not including Custer.

Let's see what happens with last two spots.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If you're a shooter or a finisher you're going to like playing for ISU with Morris and Niang the next two years.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
The first article is not worth the 10 seconds you'll never get back.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Criticisms noted on here are valid. I hardly noticed though; hardly notice that stuff anymore.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
IMO it's the same **** every year. Analysts know a little bit about the McDonald's All Americans and what not, but they don't know much else. To them, yeah there's Abdel Nader who averaged 14 points/game at NIU for one year. They have no clue if and how good he is. Same with McKay and whomever else.

I honestly almost never listen to pre-season talk for that type of **** because most of the stuff they say is off. They do get a few teams right, but outside of a team being stacked like Kentucky - they haven't a ******* clue IMO.

This. I think the analysts sometimes think these transfer players are just going to class for a year, getting out of shape, having a few beers, whatever. They seem to forget that these players are growing a year physically, and are getting a year to learn the ISU offense and defense with no real game pressure on them. I think that is part of the reason that opposing coaches each year seem to keep making comments about "playing against men" when you play ISU. These transfers that sit out a year mature, and become better players who are familiar and ready with Hoiberg's offensive system.

I think CFH will always go for the best talent available through the transfer system, if there is a player there that can fill an immediate or future need. Eventually though, I think he will move to a more conventional system of recruiting high school players that he can red-shirt and develop for a year. Either way, he is going to put a talented group of players on the floor that will continue to surprise the analysts and writers each year until they finally figure it out.

I was a little concerned with what this season just ended might be this year because ISU did not have any players "joining" the team that had sat out for a year, except for a red-shirt freshman in SDW. Instead ISU had a bunch of newbies in Jucos, true freshmen and a fifth-year transfer. Look how that worked out.

Last edited:

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
These analysts have a vested interest in places like Kansas, and Kentucky. I don't waste my time on that crap. We had a team that with a little better luck could have made a run to win it all. Those folks still haven't figured it out for the most part. Next year I would be surprised if we took a step down. We just need some break in our poor luck.