Lazard and media silence

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Yesterday I tuned into KXNO and wow did the guys on both afternoon shows have huge problems with Lazard being off limits to the media for his first year. Their reaction was such that a listener might have thought Lazard was off limits for his whole career at ISU. They all kept repeating that they didn't care from their side of things, but that it was the fans and especially those in central Iowa that were going to hurt because of this. They kept asking what about when he scores his first touchdown, has a big game or the winning TD grab against Iowa? How can fans be kept from hearing from him?

I'm a big Cyclone fan and I could care less if Lazard was available to speak to the media or not for one year. They're plenty of other characters on the football team to keep us entertained for the whole season. Lazard is well composed for a kid his age and I don't think he would ever cause a stir for ISU. The kid has been hounded for the last year and always talked with the media who constantly questioned him about his ISU commitment and the radio guys said that he never seemed mad or frustrated with the media over this. I go back to Lazard just being well composed. I think that its a great move to keep him off limits because it allows him to focus on football and becoming a great teammate. Iowa keeps freshmen off limits

Its pretty clear that it was the radio and media guys that are going to hurt because of this, not the fans. Its all about readers or listeners for them and a Lazard interview would be great for their business. It was just annoying/funny to hear them spend an entire segment about this when they kept saying they didn't care.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
This isn't going to hurt us fans at all. Lazard deserves this. The media is just butthurt over Rhoads calling them out in his press conference.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'd rather him focus on getting acclimated and helping the team win. As a fan, that is more important to me than a few sound bytes.

ruplayer

Dec 4, 2013
And heaven forbid he doesn't live up the unrealistic expectations some people have for him. He is still a freshman but there will still be people bad mouthing him as soon as he drops a ball or two. This is the best way to make sure he is focused on football and not the media which has judged his every move over the last year.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
This is the way I see it. He is off limits unless Lazard WANTS to be in front of the media. If he does like what is listed above and makes some game winning catch against Iowa and appears to be having a solid year, he may want to be interviewed after a game. CPR isn't restricting Lazard, just the other way around. And I agree, he deserves it if that is what he wants.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Doesn't bother me at all. I'm not a big fan of player interviews for the most part anyways. Yeah, there are usually a few articulate guys that sometimes have something good to say, but for the most part, what do you ever learn by hearing a basic interview from an athlete. I mean what are they ever really going to say that any of us need to know?

I can't ever think of a basic postgame interview where I really learned anything I didn't already know. At best, the player comes off decent. Worst case, you just add fuel to any fire already started because the guy didn't answer the question like you wanted.

The bad thing, I can see the media even scrutinizing him more, just because they don't have access to him, especially in Iowa, where the major paper and radio love to find anything ISU to bash.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Too bad ISU doesn't have their own television channel or radio programming to let the fans hear from AL if he has a big game, etc. Oh wait, they do. Media may be off limits, but I bet John Walters, Erik Heft, etc. are not off-limits.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Maybe this was Lazard's idea. He probably knows the central Iowa media/sports radio will be hounding him this fall and wants to avoid that.

The Register will not be thrilled about this, especially if a highly regarded kid from their back yard comes in and produces right away and they can't talk to him. Expect a column bashing Rhoads for this move.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Doesn't bother me. I do see it as one way for CPR to put some people in check...but I probably more see it as ensuring Allen can focus on football and being a good teammate. I don't know Allen, but he seems to be a very team oriented, humble guy....this move helps keep him out of the limelight.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Is this a pretty hard rule or could there be some exceptions like after a big game? I guess if Lazard has a really big game or has the game winning catch, I could see CPR letting him speak at the press conference afterwards.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
Sounds like everyone who has posted in on the same page. We will keep on supporting the team with the hope of more success. That is what we all want. Seems like CPR is being a good parent to one of his boyz. Keep up the good work Coach!

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Too bad ISU doesn't have their own television channel or radio programming to let the fans hear from AL if he has a big game, etc. Oh wait, they do. Media may be off limits, but I bet John Walters, Erik Heft, etc. are not off-limits.

Technically, they are media. But I see your point.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Lazard has......... the winning TD grab against Iowa? .....

I think the Hawkeye radio guys should just keep talking about this real possibility. I'm glad they are thinking about next year's game already.

Last edited:

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I really don't understand why anyone other than the media would have a problem with this. I would want my highest rated recruit and hopeful star athlete to be as focused as possible. He still has twitter for all of you folks who have to have your non stop fix of what is happening in an athletes life.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
I think it is a good thing, Texas A&M doesnt let freshman talk to the media. Local guys are all hurt because traditionally ISU has been the more media friendly school. I don't blame CPR for doing this at all. I generally like Randy but I also dont think its good for the team if they start out 1-3 for every media member to be asking Lazard if he regrets coming here.

Also CPR was probably a little upset of all the negative recruiting that went on against us, from ND and presumably Iowa. CPR gave Elliott a chance and he left and may have gone super negative on ISU.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Doesn't ISU have any sort of policy that first year freshman are not made available to the media? I know there are a few universities that operate on this model (kids need to focus all of their attention on school and football during their first year adjustment) but wasn't sure if ISU was one of them.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Let's just give the mic to Levi Peters and let him talk to the media.

We'd all laugh and he would give great answers.

LEVI PETERS FOR CAPTAIN OF THE WORLD!

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I think it is a good thing, Texas A&M doesnt let freshman talk to the media. Local guys are all hurt because traditionally ISU has been the more media friendly school. I don't blame CPR for doing this at all. I generally like Randy but I also dont think its good for the team if they start out 1-3 for every media member to be asking Lazard if he regrets coming here.

Also CPR was probably a little upset of all the negative recruiting that went on against us, from ND and presumably Iowa. CPR gave Elliott a chance and he left and may have gone super negative on ISU.

Randy wouldn't wait for ISU to be 1-3 before asking Lazard if he regrets going to ISU, that's the problem. I hate Hayden, but he didn't take any crap from the media and they when they crossed him, they lost something(access,etc). ISU in the past has been forced to take its lumps from the media in exchange for some coverage. CPR definitely has the opinion that the local media needs ISU more than ISU needs them and is starting to react accordingly.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
This is the way I see it. He is off limits unless Lazard WANTS to be in front of the media. If he does like what is listed above and makes some game winning catch against Iowa and appears to be having a solid year, he may want to be interviewed after a game. CPR isn't restricting Lazard, just the other way around. And I agree, he deserves it if that is what he wants.

This. Don't know if it was explicitly asked for by Lazard or if Rhoads sensed it but easier to start with lock down and then open things up if all is comfortable. If you start out with the media mob in your shorts, no way you are getting them out.

And since when did we recruit athletes to perform well for the media. I am fine watching replays over and over of him catching passes rather than listening to him, or any athlete, talk about it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron