samsung smart tv and imac problem

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
i have a samsung smart tv but its not that smart in that it doesnt recognize/communicate apple products (my imac). ive been reading about programs like VUZE and Zappotv as a workaround but thats for downloaded content, not live stuff. i was wondering if anyone knows more about a fix/alternative to this kind of thing if i wanted to, say, stream the game tonight from espn3.com to my tv?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
It's not your TV, it's your apple products. In trying to be more like their owners, apple is starting to make their products smug and self-important, so it's your apple products that are too good to communicate with such a pedestrian, probably Android loving TV such as a Samsung.

:pwink:

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
Agreed, it's intentional that they don't communicate with each other....now stop buying Apple products.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Ya Apple can be real dooshers sometimes. I'm forever loyal to them, as I do think they consistently put out the greatest products, but it sucks because they won't work with anything but Apple itself

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
i know its intentional, that wasnt my question. im NOT the guy with an apple sticker in the back window of my car (which is NOT a hatchback, btw), its just more ideal for my job. but thanks for interrupting your minecraft game long enough to respond. people who go out of their way to be anti-Apple products can be even more annoying than the apple nerds who wait in line for a week to buy a new ipad.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
i know its intentional, that wasnt my question. im NOT the guy with an apple sticker in the back window of my car (which is NOT a hatchback, btw), its just more ideal for my job. but thanks for interrupting your minecraft game long enough to respond. people who go out of their way to be anti-Apple products can be even more annoying than the apple nerds who wait in line for a week to buy a new ipad.

^^Huh??

If you want to stream the game through your TV you can bring up Samsung's web browser through the smart TV options and go to ESPN3.com. Click full screen. Assuming you have a decent internet connection through the wifi it will be fine. That's how I do it.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
Follow up question....this is an ASSUMPTION. If you have a nice TV like a smart Samsung, do you not have basic enough cable to get ESPN? Why do you need to stream the game?

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Get an Apple TV and AirPlay the game from your iOS device or your Mac's desktop. There's also a WatchESPN app on the Apple TV.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
ive never had great luck using the browser. i actually dont get espn, thats kind of the point. i dont know if its worth getting appletv but that seems to be what everyone says to do. i dont know if i care that much and still dont really understand what appletv is.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
I connect my MacBook Pro via HDMI cable to my Sharp TV and it works great. Just need a Thunderbolt to HDMI converter.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
ive never had great luck using the browser. i actually dont get espn, thats kind of the point. i dont know if its worth getting appletv but that seems to be what everyone says to do. i dont know if i care that much and still dont really understand what appletv is.

I don't subscribe to any cable/satellite anymore. Basically, you can use an Apple TV to access some apps, purchase/rent movies and tv shows, etc.

But, where Apple TV really is awesome is using AirPlay. Basically, you can airplay anything on your iPhone, iMac, Macbook or iPad to your TV. It's like hooking up an HDMI cable from your TV to your device, but it does it all though your wireless.

For the game tonight for example, you would find your stream on the Mac then airplay the desktop to your TV. You would see and hear it just like you were sitting in front of your computer.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA

How do you get Watch ESPN without having a cable provider that allows Watch ESPN? I smell someone using a friends login credentials, I approve!

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
Apple has plenty of ways to do this mentioned above. Apple or Samsung can't solve the fact that you don't have cable or a dish.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
having cable or dish doesnt have anything to do with streaming media from my computer that cant play nice with my tv. i actually have cable provider credentials through a work account. youre 0-3 today, 1Nation.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I just use my Apple TV. Love Airplay as well. It sucks that all manufacturers don't work together, but until then, the ATV works great and its affordable.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
cant watch it through the browser on my tv, it doesnt support flash so when i try to log in, it just sends me in circles. now were talking about espn not wanting to play nice.

mganzeveld

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Rapids
I have an Apple TV and I am not able to use the ESPN app on it. Wonderful Mediacom blocks it and several other apps from being functional.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
having cable or dish doesnt have anything to do with streaming media from my computer that cant play nice with my tv. i actually have cable provider credentials through a work account. youre 0-3 today, 1Nation.

Im actually 1-3 today, this mornings post super bowl, post coffee break was something worthy of victory.

Does Samsung smart TV have acwatch ESPN app? If not, ****** I give up, just come over to my place and watch, I owe you a beer

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron