Mixed signals from Rhoads. What do they mean?

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
At this point, I think it's fair to start reading into Rhoads' comments regarding the offense and Messingham's performance. There were two distinct messages in the Iowa postgame:

1. On at least two occasions, and for the second game in a row, Rhoads very clearly singled out playcalling as a contributing factor in the offensive struggles. He spoke specifically on rhythm and needing to have the ability to think ahead multiple plays and even series with a progressive game plan. But...
2. Rhoads quickly dismissed the idea of stripping Mess of his playcalling duties.

So what is the overall message at this point? I don't think there is any doubt that Rhoads is frustrated with Mess and the offense. You don't single out playcalling as often as he has over two games without having some serious concerns. That said, he's clearly trying to send the message without throwing Mess entirely under the bus at this point, and understandably so.

I think the real question is whether Rhoads would ever consider stripping mess of his playcalling duties mid-season. That's something we don't know yet about Rhoads. I'm not worried that he has unconditional loyalty for anyone on his staff. Rhoads did demote a good friend in Bliel when he felt the offensive line needed an overhaul. But offseason coaching changes and in-season coaching changes are different animals.

If Mess continues to prove that he's incapable of developing an intelligent and gameplan or adjusting to a defense, can we afford to delay any transition until the offseason, especially knowing how critical next season may be if 2013 continues on the same trajectory? I'd love to get inside Rhoads' head right now...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Sometimes you just have to realize that something isn't working and a change needs to be made. Most of us have already come to that conclusion about the offense. He only two reasons I can think of why he wouldn't make the change now is he can't get anyone better until he offseason, or he's in denial. I honestly hope it's the former. But then again, don't we have the guy who ran the pistol at Nevada on our staff? Why not him?

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I think it was his way of saying I don't really like our QB or our OC - but I don't want to flat out attack either one as there is plenty of season left to go.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Sometimes you just have to realize that something isn't working and a change needs to be made. Most of us have already come to that conclusion about the offense. He only two reasons I can think of why he wouldn't make the change now is he can't get anyone better until he offseason, or he's in denial. I honestly hope it's the former. But then again, don't we have the guy who ran the pistol at Nevada on our staff? Why not him?

Him or Sturdy. We have two guys who have done the job before.

I get his point in reference to Texas firing Diaz that it can create instability during a season. So does going 0-12.
I don't know if firing Mess fixes everything or not. I know that keeping him doesn't help. I know that people need to feel like things aren't going off a cliff, and making a change at least signals an effort (at least half desperate, but an effort) to right the ship.

Make the announcement today. Thank Mess for the legitimate contributions he made. Maybe get him running special teams again. Whatever. Just get something started.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
If Mess is 100% committed to seeing this program strive, he will gladly hand over his play calling duties. But sometimes as a coach it is hard to admit it is YOUR fault that things aren't going the way you want it to go.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm just happy he at least looked mad at the end of the presser this week instead of showing no emotion after UNI

Last edited:

Spam

May 21, 2008
If Mess is 100% committed to seeing this program strive, he will gladly hand over his play calling duties. But sometimes as a coach it is hard to admit it is YOUR fault that things aren't going the way you want it to go.

It's not cool to be a quitter in sports. Mess is not going to volunteer to hand over duties. Rhoads has to step in. Hire my grandma. She'll be as good and will do it for free.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
It's not cool to be a quitter in sports. Mess is not going to volunteer to hand over duties. Rhoads has to step in. Hire my grandma. She'll be as good and will do it for free.

Its not being a quitter IMO. You understand you aren't fit for a position and so you move. Mess is a good position coach and he should be just that. A good coach understands. I haven't done too much coaching in my life, just a year and it was only golf but when players were not hitting the ball well when I was telling them to do something, I looked to another coach for another opinion.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I would be wary of attaching a lot of credit for Nevada's pistol offense to Klenakis - it was the head coach, Chris Ault, who invented and ran the thing. Maybe Klenakis was just along for the ride? Now, he did have some good years at Southern Miss as OC. Just wish our offensive line looked better under his coaching.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I would be wary of attaching a lot of credit for Nevada's pistol offense to Klenakis - it was the head coach, Chris Ault, who invented and ran the thing. Maybe Klenakis was just along for the ride? Now, he did have some good years at Southern Miss as OC. Just wish our offensive line looked better under his coaching.

I was wondering something about this when it comes to Klenakis. When Bleil was our O-line coach we recruited skinny kids and built up their frame. The two commits this year are very big kids. I wonder if he wants a different type of kid at O-line.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
If Rhoads changes anything my guess is he'll change play calling duties quitely, although that should be easy to figure out watching the game, or he'll wait until the end of the season. I think he knows there is a problem, just doesn't know how he wants to fix it yet.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Not much?

Actually he went 3-7-1 after wining 3,5,6, and 4 games in his first four years. Right now I would take 3-9 or 4-8 in a heartbeat, just don't see it happening.

just a quick tidbit. This year has started exactly the same way the winless season of 94 did, with losses to UNI and Iowa.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
There were two distinct messages in the Iowa postgame:

1. On at least two occasions, and for the second game in a row, Rhoads very clearly singled out playcalling as a contributing factor in the offensive struggles. He spoke specifically on rhythm and needing to have the ability to think ahead multiple plays and even series with a progressive game plan. But...
2. Rhoads quickly dismissed the idea of stripping Mess of his playcalling duties.

It's administration 101, you support somebody 100% until the day you make a change. An AD can never say they're thinking of firing a coach and Rhoads can never say he's thinking of demoting somebody. Don't know what Rhoads is going to do and I would still guess no official change, but trying to read into his post-game comments is meaningless IMO.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think it was his way of saying I don't really like our QB or our OC - but I don't want to flat out attack either one as there is plenty of season left to go.

He had an opening and filled it with a green unproven OC. The QB was recruited under his watch. These are his guys and if they aren't good enough for the Big 12 than he ****ed up and only has himself to blame.

At least on defense it looks like we have someone that knows what the hell he is doing even if we are seeing some growing pains with the current players. If it wasn't for the defense I would be calling this whole regime just a Mac redo.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
If Rhoads changes anything my guess is he'll change play calling duties quitely, although that should be easy to figure out watching the game, or he'll wait until the end of the season. I think he knows there is a problem, just doesn't know how he wants to fix it yet.

OK....this thread is getting Whacky. If Rhoads is just NOW realizing we can't run an offense after the Liberty Bowl and other glaring examples, I think Governor Branstad or someone should step in immediately and relieve him of duty.
I think there are some contract issues and --of course--Money involved. If Mess changes duties he could be out a bunch of cash and CPR is looking more and more like McCarney in that--although he cares about ISU a lot--he cares about his buddies and his standing in the Coaching good 'ol boys club more.
I want someone who freaking loves ISU coaching this team. Someone who loves ISU would have re-tooled coaching after the Liberty Bowl. This offense does not work at ISU. Period. The Diaz firing at Texas may have been complicated by political correctness in the university system of Texas....But the Bielima firing at Wisconsin last year turned out to be a correct move IMO. I hate Beilema, but heck I respect him for that move. I would back CPR to do something...anything.

vortex

Jan 30, 2010
OK so they replace the OC and the team continues to lose games...who gets the blame then? There are more problems with the team than play calling. Problems often start at the top and work their way down.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Well Rhoads what is Messingham going to learn in the next couple weeks that all of the sudden makes him a great offensive cord.? Ill go ahead and answer that for you. NOTHING!! Stop wasting the record setting season ticket holders time. We all know what we are seeing is a product of awful coaching. If you dont see that leave with him. If you do see that, then well what are you waiting for? I assume its the end of the season so you can go shopping for offensive cord. Well just hand the reins over to someone else right now please for a temp position so that we all know that you know what we know... :) thanks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron