Rhoads quote in KXNO interview

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Sorry if this has been posted, but I scrolled through the football forum and didn't see it. Rhoads was on Murph and Andy earlier this afternoon, and he was asked his thoughts on some Hawk fans who say this game is ISU's Super Bowl. His response:

"That's a bunch of crap."

He went on to elaborate on how it may have been that way in the past, but he expects his team to get up for every game and each game is as important as the one before it and the one after it.

Nothing new really, but I just love his candor. He also used the same line when asked his thoughts on some people saying "Kirk Ferentz is on the hot seat". Of course, what else is going to say...

Should be a podcast up on KXNO soon, but it was a good interview - he answered a lot of questions and there weren't a lot of non-answers. Pointed out the good things and the bad things from the UNI game and assured Murph and Andy his team is motivated and looking forward to Saturday. Good interview as always.

Reactions: CyBobby

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Sorry if this has been posted, but I scrolled through the football forum and didn't see it. Rhoads was on Murph and Andy earlier this afternoon, and he was asked his thoughts on some Hawk fans who say this game is ISU's Super Bowl. His response:

"That's a bunch of crap."

He went on to elaborate on how it may have been that way in the past, but he expects his team to get up for every game and each game is as important as the one before it and the one after it.

Nothing new really, but I just love his candor. He also used the same line when asked his thoughts on some people saying "Kirk Ferentz is on the hot seat". Of course, what else is going to say...

Should be a podcast up on KXNO soon, but it was a good interview - he answered a lot of questions and there weren't a lot of non-answers. Pointed out the good things and the bad things from the UNI game and assured Murph and Andy his team is motivated and looking forward to Saturday. Good interview as always.

Iowa fans need to be careful what they wish for.. Still think Ferentz is one of the better coaches in football. They tend to play lots of close games, and it has bit him in the butt recently, but these things run in cycles.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Iowa fans need to be careful what they wish for.. Still think Ferentz is one of the better coaches in football. They tend to play lots of close games, and it has bit him in the butt recently, but these things run in cycles.

The Hawks made a living on close games in the 90's. Not against the bad teams, but the good one. They kicked ISU all over the field, but they snuck out a lot of games with late FGs, etc, so this is really just payback for them.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
It's hard to see KF going on the hotseat until he has 2 or 3 consecutive losing seasons, coupled with a significant loss of interest in Iowa FB program across the state of Iowa. In order for the latter to happen, ISU would have to break out of it's funk and hit 8+ regular season wins for a couple of seasons and pull off a higher-profile bowl win while Iowa is having those consecutive losing seasons. I don't think ISU beating Iowa regularly (should ISU be able to do that) would be enough.

Reactions: CyBobby

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Rhoads excels at "coach speak." I'd like to see more results on the field.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
It's hard to see KF going on the hotseat until he has 2 or 3 consecutive losing seasons, coupled with a significant loss of interest in Iowa FB program across the state of Iowa. In order for the latter to happen, ISU would have to break out of it's funk and hit 8+ regular season wins for a couple of seasons and pull off a higher-profile bowl win while Iowa is having those consecutive losing seasons. I don't think ISU beating Iowa regularly (should ISU be able to do that) would be enough.

This and a few more years of that long contract (CPRs is loooong too) expire so they can afford a buyout IF they need it.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
He excels at being generally open and honest to the extent that he needs to be. I can't complain about how he has handled the media.

I still cant believe how pissy people are 10 days after the UNI game.

Was it terrible? Yes, most embarrasing loss of the CPR era IMO. I would rather get 50 pointed by a good OU team than lose to UNI.

However, its never as bad as it seems. Wouldnt suprise me if ISU came out and beat Iowa by 10 pts.

I look forward to football season far too much to jut throw in the towel. Seems like others are just writing this team off to go 0-12

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Like stated above....Kirk would have to have 2-3 more seasons of non bowls before he gets fired.
I would like to see it though. Ticket prices would go down and their place would be half full on game 11.

Its only going to get harder for them though with 9 conference games looming.
as far as the game this saturday.

Its home
We will be ready.
Iowa is not that good
If we could tackle I would feel confident :) So who knows...

I will say this though, Every game we lose non conference we have to win a conference game to make up for it. With the B12 down this is the best year to do it, but I still don't see us winning 5-6 conference games if we can't beat UNI or Iowa at home...lol

IF we lose to IOwa and beat tulsa,
The new road map to a bowl would be Texas, KSU, TCU, WVU, KU

If we start 0-3 then I just don't care.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
It was a great interview, like usual. Too bad it got cut a little short, but I'll take what I can get.

He will sometimes use coachspeak, but way less than any other coach out there :yes:

Apr 19, 2006
Like stated above....Kirk would have to have 2-3 more seasons of non bowls before he gets fired.
I would like to see it though. Ticket prices would go down and their place would be half full on game 11.

Its only going to get harder for them though with 9 conference games looming.
as far as the game this saturday.

Its home
We will be ready.
Iowa is not that good
If we could tackle I would feel confident :) So who knows...

I will say this though, Every game we lose non conference we have to win a conference game to make up for it. With the B12 down this is the best year to do it, but I still don't see us winning 5-6 conference games if we can't beat UNI or Iowa at home...lol

IF we lose to IOwa and beat tulsa,
The new road map to a bowl would be Texas, KSU, TCU, WVU, KU

If we start 0-3 then I just don't care.

If we start 0-3, I think we might be looking at 0-12. Then we could easily lose momentum along with our recruiting class and fan base. This weekend is a big game for both fan bases.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He excels at being generally open and honest to the extent that he needs to be. I can't complain about how he has handled the media.

I don't know what kind of results some of you seem to want. But 6 win seasons just don't happen that often at Iowa State. 6 win seasons in 3 of the first 4 years of a coaching career at Iowa State just don't happen.

With the exception of the UNI game, there have been MAYBE 2 games where I have been disappointed in Rhoads. Most coaches in my lifetime (Chiz, McCarney, Walden) there are 3-4 per year.

Rhoads is the victim of his own success. Had he come in here and won 3-4-5 games per year like every other coach, no one would care.

And I am shocked that so many people assume that one bad loss to UNI means that Rhoads is going to suck forever.

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
I don't know what kind of results some of you seem to want. But 6 win seasons just don't happen that often at Iowa State. 6 win seasons in 3 of the first 4 years of a coaching career at Iowa State just don't happen.

With the exception of the UNI game, there have been MAYBE 2 games where I have been disappointed in Rhoads. Most coaches in my lifetime (Chiz, McCarney, Walden) there are 3-4 per year.

Rhoads is the victim of his own success. Had he come in here and won 3-4-5 games per year like every other coach, no one would care.

And I am shocked that so many people assume that one bad loss to UNI means that Rhoads is going to suck forever.

I don't question Rhoads except as a business manager. He needs to fire or reassign Mess and right the ship.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Before the season, a lot of people thought we would lose to tulsa, starting the year 2-1.

I wasn't one of them, I predicted 3-0. But i could still definitely still see this team finding their way to 2-1.

Hell, if were 2-1 and Texas doesn't get their **** together, 3-1.

nickcyv

Apr 29, 2009
I still cant believe how pissy people are 10 days after the UNI game.

Was it terrible? Yes, most embarrasing loss of the CPR era IMO. I would rather get 50 pointed by a good OU team than lose to UNI.

However, its never as bad as it seems. Wouldnt suprise me if ISU came out and beat Iowa by 10 pts.

I look forward to football season far too much to jut throw in the towel. Seems like others are just writing this team off to go 0-12

You are right that it is awful but it is as bad as it seems. We lost to an FCS team at home who had a losing record last year. I mean I guess we could come up with some crazy scenario worse than that, but it isn't easy to do.

Now I'm not saying fire Rhoads or shut the program down but losses don't come (much) worse than what happened to ISU the weekend before last. I do agree that this team could beat Iowa by 10 or so and end up winning 4 or so games.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

Iowa fans would get a lot antsier if we were to break through with a couple of big years while they sucked.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011

Making a bowl game 3 out of 4 years has only happened once before in any tenured Iowa State coach's career. Dan in 2000 to 2002. 3 straight bowls.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
If Iowa loses on Saturday, I guarantee Ferentz's seat will get very warm. Fortunately for us, Iowa won't be in much of a position to do anything to about it, given his contract.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

I feel like the apathetic portion of our fanbase:
A) Is a reason why we struggle to emerge out of mediocrity
B) Grew up in the Duncan/Criner/Walden years with a terrible AD

It's not unrealistic to expect a victory against an FCS team. Bowls aren't much of an accomplishment anymore to be honest. Iowa State has the resources to expect at least six wins every year.

We haven't had great coaches for the last 20-30 years resulting in some sort of myth that it is impossible to win at ISU. I would even honestly rate our current coaching staff in the bottom half of the Big 12.

Our basketball program would probably be identical to our football program if we never found Johnny Orr to kickstart some success.

Last edited: