Microsoft Expanding in WDM

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Tech companies love to stash their **** here but dont really employ anyone. I hope at some point more headquarters and call centers come here too so we get some jobs.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Tech companies love to stash their **** here but dont really employ anyone. I hope at some point more headquarters and call centers come here too so we get some jobs.

At least the contractors will get some projects to work on

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
This is still good for the state, even if it doesn't employ very many people. I wonder what made them choose Iowa. Maybe there is a military advantage to putting stuff like this as far inland as possible. The only natural disaster you really have to worry about here is tornadoes.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
This is still good for the state, even if it doesn't employ very many people. I wonder what made them choose Iowa. Maybe there is a military advantage to putting stuff like this as far inland as possible. The only natural disaster you really have to worry about here is tornadoes.

And floods:(

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

Cheap land and tax breaks on electricity. Its a no brainer. I can see more and more of the coasts investing in the midwest from now on.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
As long as they are local contractors. =)

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the large contracts go out of state, but some of the jobs that use steel workers or electricians would probably be subcontracted to local guys.

I agree that it would be nice to for these companies to set up more here and offer more permanent jobs, but I am sure that it is a tough sell to get people to move from the west coast to Iowa or the midwest in general.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This is still good for the state, even if it doesn't employ very many people.

Could you expand on this? I just don't follow it, everytime they announce a data center getting all these tax breaks to employee 30 people to me it doesn't seem worth it. Yeah the construction companies hire people to build it but they are either people currently working for the company or temps for that project.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the large contracts go out of state, but some of the jobs that use steel workers or electricians would probably be subcontracted to local guys.

I agree that it would be nice to for these companies to set up more here and offer more permanent jobs, but I am sure that it is a tough sell to get people to move from the west coast to Iowa or the midwest in general.

What? You would be a short jaunt to the worlds largest cow once a year. Thats amazing.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Could you expand on this? I just don't follow it, everytime they announce a data center getting all these tax breaks to employee 30 people to me it doesn't seem worth it. Yeah the construction companies hire people to build it but they are either people currently working for the company or temps for that project.

Tax breaks have become the standard for any new development creating more than 1 job.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I wish I could find it but I read an article a few years ago about the number of data centers looking to relocate to the midwest.
Many of the data centers that are out there are old and were built in converted office space and the cost to upgrade them to be compliant with modern standards is prohibitive. With IP you no longer need your workforce confined to the same building as your hardware so rebuilding in the midwestern locations makes sense.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
What? You would be a short jaunt to the worlds largest cow once a year. Thats amazing.

I glance at the large animals, but I stay for the funnel cake and the animal learning center. I don't think it ever gets old watching a cow, pig, or goat give birth to an animal. I also like watching the little ducklings too.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Tax breaks have become the standard for any new development creating more than 1 job.

I think that is how competitive it has become between local governments though. I think many of these are banking that it will lead to more expansion in the future.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Communities in Iowa need to come together and agree not to offer tax breaks or development subsidies. It will not only keep the playing field level but it will save taxpayers money in the long run. The Twin Cities has a great example of how communities understand they are all "in it together" and shouldn't just compete with one another.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
$20 million in tax credits for 29 jobs. Someone please explain this to me.

Or you can look at is as $20 million in tax credits to build a $700 million dollar project. Which the majority of that labor and material with touch the iowa workforce. It is roughly a 3% savings for Microsoft. While it only creates 29 permanent jobs it does create several jobs in building it. Even if they don't' use an Iowa construction company they have to pay employment and sales taxes. Not saying Iowa will recoup all $20 million immediately, but it probably works out.

Plus developing a relationship with Microsoft shouldn't be looked at as doing a bad thing. Granted i think most large corps are going to go where it is cheapest to build, but maybe this helps Iowa land something else in the future.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Or you can look at is as $20 million in tax credits to build a $700 million dollar project. Which the majority of that labor and material with touch the iowa workforce. It is roughly a 3% savings for Microsoft. While it only creates 29 permanent jobs it does create several jobs in building it. Even if they don't' use an Iowa construction company they have to pay employment and sales taxes. Not saying Iowa will recoup all $20 million immediately, but it probably works out.

Plus developing a relationship with Microsoft shouldn't be looked at as doing a bad thing. Granted i think most large corps are going to go where it is cheapest to build, but maybe this helps Iowa land something else in the future.

I would argue the bolded. Most likely the construction company is using current employees and if they need more they will hire temps to fill what they need.