***Official 2013 Bracketology Thread***

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Palm has us in a First Four play-in against North Carolina for a 12 seed. Winner would get Mizzou.

Those would be two fun games. Win both and get New Mexico (Steve Alford). Not a bad stretch for a 12 seed.

Of course beating UNC in the first game would be tough because they are extremely talented.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Below is an excerpt from my blog about ISU's tournament hopes:

Current Resume:

Overall Record: 13-4
Conference Record: 3-1
Big Wins: None
Bad Losses: None
RPI: 34
SOS: 77

Ken Pomeroy has ISU predicted to finish the year at 12-6 in conference play based on percentages and also 12-6 based on game-by-game. This is only a slight improvement from last time. Its important to keep in mind Ken hasn't been wrong predicting the winner of ISU games all season. If this holds true ISU would add several big wins to their resume in the coming weeks. Its also worth noting that Iowa State has jumped from #40 to #30 since the last update in the team rankings.

Looking at Bracket Matrix yields a slight improvement for Iowa State as well.. Here you will find cumulative seed predictions based on 39 bracket projections. No more need to go different places. It is all right here and updated daily. Right now their average seed is an 11.2 (which is good for a 12 seed) and they are "in" in 32 of the 39 predictions.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Although it would suck to play in the first round game, if Lundardi's bracket was true and we beat CSU, we play our next two games in Kansas City! Hilton South anybody? :yes:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Ken Pomeroy has ISU predicted to finish the year at 12-6 in conference play based on percentages and also 12-6 based on game-by-game. This is only a slight improvement from last time. Its important to keep in mind Ken hasn't been wrong predicting the winner of ISU games all season. If this holds true ISU would add several big wins to their resume in the coming weeks.

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. To finish 12-6, ISU would still lose five more conference games.

Losing another one to KU, both to K-State, and two out of the three road games vs. BU, OU, and OSU wouldn't really leave much for "big wins" on the ISU resume.

Not saying it won't happen, just saying that big wins are hard to come by in the Big 12 this year and they'll (mostly) have to come on the road.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. To finish 12-6, ISU would still lose five more conference games.

Losing another one to KU, both to K-State, and two out of the three road games vs. BU, OU, and OSU wouldn't really leave much for "big wins" on the ISU resume.

Not saying it won't happen, just saying that big wins are hard to come by in the Big 12 this year and they'll (mostly) have to come on the road.
Beat KSU this Saturday and we'll have one big win. Just win baby!

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
If KenPom holds true we could have "big wins" over Kansas State, Baylor and Oklahoma State and Oklahoma if you want to include them

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
It's January, far too early for bracketology, only three weeks into conference play right now.

The regular season will be over seven weeks from today. Teams have played close to 20 games. I don't think its too early. A lot can still happen but the sample sizes are adding up in a hurry.

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
True, but it's fun to talk about and speculate
It's just that speculation leaves a lot up in the air. I'm fine with bracketology in early February after 5+ weeks of conference play when teams have mostly played everyone in their conference...

Then again, I'm also in the group that thinks there shouldn't be rankings in CFB until after week 5.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
It's just that speculation leaves a lot up in the air. I'm fine with bracketology in early February after 5+ weeks of conference play when teams have mostly played everyone in their conference...

Then again, I'm also in the group that thinks there shouldn't be rankings in CFB until after week 5.

But then we couldn't make fun of all the busts in the Big 10 this year.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

ISU could still afford 5 more losses, but they'd probably have to be on the road (guaranteeing a split w/ KU), and at least four need to come at KSU, OU, OSU and Baylor.

Other combinations are possible, of course, but 12-6 doesn't kill big win potential. I admit it isn't exactly airtight range.